[comp.dcom.lans] Novell and TN3270

LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Lisa S. Lewis) (08/09/89)

I am interested in hearing about any/all ways of doing TN3270 emulation
on a Novell network.

Anybody out there doing this?

bkc@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) (08/09/89)

From article <9256@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, by LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Lisa S. Lewis):
> I am interested in hearing about any/all ways of doing TN3270 emulation
> on a Novell network.
>
> Anybody out there doing this?

If you are running ethernet and
if you can obtain a packet driver for your ethernet card
(many types now supported w/ public-domain drivers) you can
use the BYU IPX driver for Novell and Tn3270.exe
(3270 version of NCSA Telnet) at the same time. We do that here.

You can get packet drivers via ftp from
	sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/alpha.arc

You can get the byu stuff from
	omnigate.clarkson.edu:/pub/novell/novell.exe

and you can get Tn3270.exe from
	omnigate.clarkson.edu:/pub/ncsa2.2tn/ncsabin.tar.Z

Questions about packet drivers to the package editor:
	nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

Bugs and comments regarding tn3270.exe to myself.

--

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) (08/11/89)

In article <9256@pucc.Princeton.EDU> LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I am interested in hearing about any/all ways of doing TN3270 emulation
>on a Novell network.
>
>Anybody out there doing this?

Assuming that you are running Novell over ethernet:
No problem.  Use the BYU packet driver and BYU's version of
NCSA Telnet.  We do this all the time.

The Packet driver is the driver for the ethernet card, and it allows
multiple applications (in this case novell's IPX genned for the packet
driver and NCSA Telnet) to share the interface.  You can even leave
the PC in Telnet (which allows FTP host) and logged into the Novell
server, FTP into the PC from somewhere else and put and get from
network drives.

If however you are on a Token Ring, then I have pity for you if you
need tn3270.  The most cost effective solution we found for that problem
was to more anyone who wanted telnet or tn3270 to the ethernet.  You
can get token ring to ethernet bridges for telnet traffic, but it
isn't cheaper then 10-20 ethernet boards and doesn't offer nearly
the performance of really being on the ethernet.  Also if your
Novell Server goes down, you lose the TCP/IP bridge as well.

Tom Dixon
AT&T Paradyne
uunet!pdn!dixon