[comp.dcom.lans] Twisted Pair Ethernet?

jec@unisoft.UUCP (Joe Cunliffe) (08/24/89)

We are considering installing twisted pair ethernet, and I have a
couple questions:

1) Are there any large sites that have an installed twisted pair
   ethernet set up.  If so, did it replace a different configuration?
   How does it compare to a ThickNet or ThinNet set up?  How are
   the reliability, manageability, and throughput?

2) Has anyone used EtherNext by a company called Networth?  How
   reliable is their hardware?  How good is their customer support?

Thanks in advance.
--
Joe Cunliffe
Unisoft Corporation, 6121 Hollis Street, Emeryville, CA 94608

gsp98@wash08.UUCP (Gerald Partsch) (08/24/89)

In article <2396@unisoft.UUCP> jec@unisoft.UUCP (Joe Cunliffe) writes:
>We are considering installing twisted pair ethernet, and I have a
>couple questions:
>
>1) Are there any large sites that have an installed twisted pair
>   ethernet set up.  If so, did it replace a different configuration?
>   How does it compare to a ThickNet or ThinNet set up?  How are
>   the reliability, manageability, and throughput?

	We have just started to convert to Twisted Pair Ethernet
	at our site.  We are converting to twisted pair from
	ThinNet.  When we installed our new phone system last
	year, we also installed twisted pair for data connections in
	all offices throughout the buildings.  This setup has made
	it easy to convert over to Twisted Pair Ethernet.

	A problem we had with the ThinNet was that every time someone
	on a ThinNet connection changed offices, we would need to
	pull new cable.

	We curently have approximately 2 dozen connections on the
	Twisted Pair Ethernet and have not experienced any problems
	since we installed them six weeks ago.

>Thanks in advance.
>--
>Joe Cunliffe
>Unisoft Corporation, 6121 Hollis Street, Emeryville, CA 94608
>(415) 420-6410 x166
>...!uunet!unisoft!jec -or- jec@unisoft.unisoft.com

Jerry Partsch
Systems Engineer
American Chemical Society, 1155 16th St. N.W., Washingtonn, DC 20036
(202)452-2103
...!uunet!wash08!gsp98

Opions expressed are mine alone and not necessarily those of my employer.

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (08/26/89)

We have twisted pair ethernet to about 60 Suns and are generating
about 3 million packets per day.  We get about 3000 collisions and
about 1500 errors.  We're testing next week to find out where
the errors are coming from.

Its very easy to work with, but I am concerned about the error rate.
*  Brian Jay Gould - Manager, Systems Support *
*  General Logistics International            *
* internet:  gould@pilot.njin.net             *
* Bitnet:    gould@jvncc.csc.org              *
* UUCP:      rutgers!pilot!gould              *
* phone:     (201) 403-1566                   *