[comp.dcom.lans] High Memory Networking?

golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) (08/22/89)

Does anyone out there have some experience in using high memory (extended)
for networking applications to regain conventional memory for real
applications?  We have gone to using TSR's as our network communications
platform for our PC applications, but some networking environments, especially
PC-NFS, take so much memory, that we have trouble getting enough memory for
real applications and MS-Windows environments.

We have been trying to load our TSRs in high memory, so far without success.
We are familiar with products like 386-to-the-Max, which helps with a 386.
But for 286 users we would like to make it work with extended memory.  It
turns out that, for us, saving 64K is enough to get the applications we want
to run.  We are hoping to find someone who has succeeded in implementing
networking in high memory for some further discussion and pointers.

Thanks...

Rich Goldschmidt
uunet!rlgvax!golds   or   golds@uunet.uu.net

billb@stech.UUCP (Bill Burton) (08/25/89)

In article <1239@rlgvax.UUCP> golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) writes:
>Does anyone out there have some experience in using high memory (extended)
>for networking applications to regain conventional memory for real
>applications?  We have gone to using TSR's as our network communications
>platform for our PC applications, but some networking environments, especially
>PC-NFS, take so much memory, that we have trouble getting enough memory for
>real applications and MS-Windows environments.

Here are a few items:

Charge Card - Hardware
    Allows relocation of TSR's, device drivers, files=, buffers= in
        config.sys to extended or expanded memory.  Also provides
	EMS 4.0 support using extended memory.
    Installed by removing '286 chip (tool included) and plugging in
        the credit-card sized device.  Since there are different
	styles of CPU's, LCC and PLCC, you need to know what style
	you have.
    Contact
        All Computers, Inc.  800-387-2744
	They will probably refer you to a local dealer.
    A Dealer (in New Jersey)
        IRT  212-371-8538
        Paul Lachman has been very helpful in answering my questions.

HICARD - Hardware
    Allows relocation of TSR's, files=, buffers= in config.sys.  Finds
        unused portions of memory above 640K and utilizes it.
        Don't know any further details.
    Installed by plugging in a card to the PC bus.
    Contact
        RYBS Electronics, Inc.
	2590 Central Ave.
	Boulder, CO 80301
	303-444-6073
    A demo disk is available which will show how much memory can be utilized
        on your machine.  Have not received this yet.

HIMEM.SYS - Software
    A device driver that comes with MS-Windows/286 which salvages about 64K
        of memory.  After reading about this in a magazine, I eagerly
	looked for this device driver on our Windows 2.01 disks and did
	not find it.  It apparently is there in later releases.

Have heard rumors of other software that performs this function but don't
have any names.

Please note that I have not used any of these items and don't endorse any
of them.  I'm simply passing on what I have heard for solving the problem
of TSR's eating up conventional memory.

If anyone has any additions (or corrections) to this list, I'm sure many
would appreciate it (including me).  Since this question comes up every
now and then, it would be nice to get a comprehensive list together with
comparisons of features, cost, etc.  Please e-mail.

--
William D. Burton, Jr. @  American Academy of Arts and Sciences
    Cambridge, Mass. Voice: +1-617-576-5023

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (08/27/89)

In article <1138@stech.UUCP> billb@stech.UUCP (Bill Burton) writes:
>In article <1239@rlgvax.UUCP> golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) writes:
>>Does anyone out there have some experience in using high memory (extended)
>>for networking applications to regain conventional memory for real
>>applications?
>
>Here are a few items:

The August 28 issue of Datamation has an article on this subject.

Disclaimer:  Uh, I wrote it. :-)  But it was a while ago and I forget
what I said in it and I'm not home right now to check my files.
--
"Goldfish are quiet, under the water.
"Girls who keep goldfish are sometimes quite loud."