[comp.dcom.lans] Twisted Pair Ether query

mats@oblio.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) (08/08/89)

We are looking for experiences / impressions of running twisted-pair
ethernet.  Last time I looked at this stuff it was all in the talking stage -
nobody had any commercial hardware.  Now I understand Cabletron makes some
equipment, and there are presumably others.  I wasn't paying any attention
before, but now we about to move and looking at cabling options for cubicles,
especially for use with our X terminals.

I have a notion this has been discussed here before and I missed it (hey, I
don't have time to read everything); if so, I think I would appreciate mail
rather than followups.

Mats Wichmann
Acer America
hplabs!oblio!mats

craig@hprnd.HP.COM (Craig Blackwood) (08/09/89)

> We are looking for experiences / impressions of running twisted-pair
> ethernet.

I think it is great!  The diskless workstation from which I am writing this
is connected to the server via Twisted Pair ethernet (HP StarLAN 10).  With
other types of cable (thick and thin coax) one person can mess up the whole
network simply by messing with the cable.  With StarLAN 10 other users can
do whatever they want to the twisted pair that runs to their machine without
causing any problems for others.

> Last time I looked at this stuff it was all in the talking stage -
> nobody had any commercial hardware.

The product is a reality.  The standard is almost a reality.  The IEEE standard
is called 10baseT and (from what I know :-) will be official near the beginning
of next year.

> Now I understand Cabletron makes some
> equipment, and there are presumably others.  I wasn't paying any attention
> before, but now we about to move and looking at cabling options for cubicles,
> especially for use with our X terminals.

HP makes twisted pair ethernet products (called StarLAN 10) including PC LAN
cards, HUBS, minicomputer and Workstation interface cards.
AT&T and Synoptics also make StarLAN 10 products.  There are probably many
others.

> I have a notion this has been discussed here before and I missed it (hey, I
> don't have time to read everything); if so, I think I would appreciate mail
> rather than followups.
>
> Mats Wichmann
> Acer America
> hplabs!oblio!mats
> ----------

Craig Blackwood
craig@hprnd.rose.hp.com

mkd@mtunh.ATT.COM (Mark Darby) (08/10/89)

In article <2230020@hprnd.HP.COM>, craig@hprnd.HP.COM (Craig Blackwood) writes:
> > We are looking for experiences / impressions of running twisted-pair
> > ethernet.
>
> I think it is great!  The diskless workstation from which I am writing this
> is connected to the server via Twisted Pair ethernet (HP StarLAN 10).  With
> other types of cable (thick and thin coax) one person can mess up the whole
> network simply by messing with the cable.  With StarLAN 10 other users can
> do whatever they want to the twisted pair that runs to their machine without
> causing any problems for others.

This is true for a standalone TPE (twisted pair ethernet) network, but
with the proper equipment, one can expand an already existing Ethernet/
Cheapernet network with StarLAN 10, providing cost effective expansion
without losing the original network investment.

As a footnote, AT&T's TPE solution is also called "StarLAN 10".

> > Last time I looked at this stuff it was all in the talking stage -
> > nobody had any commercial hardware.
>
> The product is a reality. The standard is almost a reality. The IEEE standard
> is called 10baseT and (from what I know :-) will be official near the beginning
> of next year.

10BASE-T is a task force under the auspices of IEEE 802.3, drafting a
standard for 10Mb/s baseband transmission over twisted pair wire. The
10BASE-T draft was recently voted upon by IEEE 802.3 voting members and
failed by a significant margin (75% ratio of yes votes to yes+no votes is
required for approval, actual ratio obtained was about 59%). Over 600
comments were received from voters which must be addressed, however
most of these were editorial comments and general specmanship issues.

As a matter of fact, the 10BASE-T task force is meeting this entire week
in San Jose, California to address voter comments and issues.

The new schedule of target dates for 10BASE-T includes a second letter ballot
for the end of this year, with the presenting of voting results to IEEE 802.3
by March 1990. Assuming no delays in the entire schedule, including
submitting draft to the IEEE Computer Society and IEEE review board, the
draft could be sent to ANSI for submission to ISO by 4Q90. This assumes
all submissions will result in approvals every step of the way.
Any disapproval along the way could delay the progress of the draft further.

> > Now I understand Cabletron makes some
> > equipment, and there are presumably others.  I wasn't paying any attention
> > before, but now we about to move and looking at cabling options for cubicles,
> > especially for use with our X terminals.
>
> HP makes twisted pair ethernet products (called StarLAN 10) including PC LAN
> cards, HUBS, minicomputer and Workstation interface cards.
> AT&T and Synoptics also make StarLAN 10 products.  There are probably many
> others.

AT&T, HP and Ungermann-Bass currently make TPE hardware products which comply
with key technical parameters of the 10BASE-T draft, including transmit
voltage levels, transmit equalization, 100m distance support per twisted pair
link, and the use of a multiport repeater (ala IEEE 802.3) as the HUB element.
Because of this, the current hardware from these vendors INTEROPERATE, which
is what standards are all about.

SynOptics' TPE solution is called "Lattisnet."
They have made some new product announcements, and I do not
know if their new products take any more 10BASE-T parameters into consideration.
I do know that previous products (with some exceptions) from Lattisnet took
very few key 10BASE-T parameters into consideration.

As the 10BASE-T draft becomes more a reality,
each vendor will have a migration path from current product to final
"10BASE-T" product. Those vendors who have proprietary solutions to TPE
will a more difficult migration path to follow, depending upon how much
the vendor has veered from the path followed by 10BASE-T.

> > I have a notion this has been discussed here before and I missed it (hey, I
> > don't have time to read everything); if so, I think I would appreciate mail
> > rather than followups.
> >
> > Mats Wichmann
> > Acer America
> > hplabs!oblio!mats
> > ----------
>
> Craig Blackwood
> craig@hprnd.rose.hp.com

Mark K. Darby
AT&T Bell Laboratories                       AT&T: (201)957-2706
200 Laurel Ave.                              uucp:..!att!mtunh!mkd
Middletown, NJ 07748

djh@cci632.UUCP (Daniel J. Hazekamp) (08/11/89)

	We recently installed a David Systems ExpressNet twisted pair
	ethernet hub. The hub has 12 TPE ports, and 1 AUI port for
	connection to an E-net backbone. The hub is a 10BASE-T compliant
	(we all know the 10BASE-T story by now) multiport repeater, and
	successfully interoperates with AT&T STARLAN 10. The reason we
	went with David Systems rather than AT&T, is that the David hub
	worked successfully over our installed 'shielded' RS232 cabling.

--
Dan Hazekamp					rochester!cci632!djh
Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI)			uunet!ccicpg!cci632!djh

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (08/12/89)

Mark Darby writes:

> The new schedule of target dates for 10BASE-T includes a second letter ballot
> for the end of this year, with the presenting of voting results to IEEE 802.3
> by March 1990. Assuming no delays in the entire schedule, including
> submitting draft to the IEEE Computer Society and IEEE review board, the
> draft could be sent to ANSI for submission to ISO by 4Q90. This assumes
> all submissions will result in approvals every step of the way.
> Any disapproval along the way could delay the progress of the draft further.

Actually, the draft goes to the Technical Committee on Computer Communications
(TCCC) and the IEEE Standards board after 802.3 approval.  Depending on
whether it needs a full reballot or only a reconfirmation ballot in 802.3
it could get approval as an IEEE/ANSI standard sometime between 2Q and 4Q90.
As I explained in a previous posting, NO voters have the opportunity to change
their votes as we respond to the comments on the ballot.  Therefore, the
result of the ballot can change.  Assuming that we satisfy the NO voters,
a reconfirmation ballot gives all the voters on the origional ballot a
chance to see any changes we made in resolving the ballot and to confirm
that they still find the draft acceptable.

The balloting of a draft is a concensus process, not a simple 75% passes
and less than that fails.  Efforts are made to resolve all negative votes.

I expect the draft to be submitted to ISO to start the balloting process there
at the same time the TCCC ballot is conducted.  I'm not sure how long it
will take to complete ISO balloting.

Pat Thaler

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of the 10BASE-T
task force.

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (08/14/89)

In article <692@mtunh.ATT.COM> mkd@mtunh.ATT.COM (Mark Darby) writes:
>10BASE-T is a task force under the auspices of IEEE 802.3, drafting a
>standard for 10Mb/s baseband transmission over twisted pair wire. The
>10BASE-T draft was recently voted upon by IEEE 802.3 voting members and
>failed by a significant margin (75% ratio of yes votes to yes+no votes is
>required for approval, actual ratio obtained was about 59%). Over 600
>comments were received from voters which must be addressed, however
>most of these were editorial comments and general specmanship issues.

Your description makes it sound as if 802.3 first approved and then rescinded
the 10BASE-T draft, when what actually happened was that it was overwhelmingly
APPROVED for letter ballot, and ballot comments came in at 59% as you point
out.

It should be mentioned that the ballot process allows three possible responses:
Approve, Approve with Comment, and Disapprove, and it is the ratio of
disapproves to approves that count.  Further, many of the disapproves were
of an editorial nature - that is, the voter's comments had nothing to do
with feasability or functionality, but with description instead.  An example
that comes to mind is 'differential input voltage' rather than 'differential
voltage' or '...the output voltage is 2.2v peak' rather than '.. peak voltage
is 2.2v'.

It is believed that many of the 'disapprove' comments will be converted to
'approve' with an editorial pass.

It should also be pointed out that many of the comments were duplicates,
and that while resolving all comments is not a trivial task, it will not
be nearly as difficult as an attempt to resolve 600 _unique_ responses.

Another point you failed to mention is that we've not seen any 'show stoppers'
- i.e. issues that would require complete rewrite/reballot - and it is thus
presumed that the task remaining is well-defined and 'short term'.
An implication of this is that end users run _lower_ risk as a date to
confirmation ballot draws near, since OEMs will have already incorporated
the most recent updates in their products.

>The new schedule of target dates for 10BASE-T includes a second letter ballot
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, the goal is a 'confirmation ballot', which is very different.  The
ability to realize that goal depends on how much progress the Task Force can
make before November.

>Mark K. Darby

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156

hagan@hagan.dccs.upenn.edu (John Dotts Hagan) (08/30/89)

I have had quite a few debates and discussion with vendors, and other
people responsible for campus networks, about the use of twisted pair
ethernet vs. Thinwire ethernet (RG58 coax).

I have always favored the coax, because we always seem to have to install new
wire to support every new station, since we can never find where old (pre our
group wiring the campus) copper wire goes.

The cost to install thinwire vs. twisted pair is not large, since the bulk of
our cost is the labor to install.

Our standard wiring is to pull tree kinds of wire to all stations: RG58 coax,
and both shielded and unshielded 22 guage twisted pair.  The shielded wire
is up to IBM's 16 Megabit specs, but we have never used the IBM token ring
over that wire.  Sometimes we use the shielded for a second asynch connection,
although the shield causes some problems over long runs.  We also pull
telco wire, if we are in a new building and our telco group works with us.  We
have also planed for video, but never installed it.  Finally, whenever we put
in conduit for the wire, we make sure it could hold fiber (no bad bends).

Anyway, I believe the twisted pair solutions are near the capacity of twisted
pair, and some products have distance limits that are close to some of our
longer station to closet runs.  However, RG58 has no trouble reaching any
desk.

My final trump card is I hope that some smart vendor makes a faster version
of ethernet (or even FDDI) that can run over RG58 coax.  I think anything in
the range of 100 Megabits is next to impossible for the twisted pair in our
walls, but should be quite possible over the coax.  So maybe we won't need to
rewire for fiber to all desks to get at least FDDI-like speeds.

--Kid.