[comp.dcom.lans] ISC network problems

lance@belltec.UUCP (Lance Norskog) (09/01/89)

In article <899@orbit.UUCP>, jeb@pnet51.cts.com (James Borchart) writes:

>   I am having some trouble getting help from ISC on these problems.  Tech
> Support does not seem to have an answer.  To their credit they call me every
> week and tell me they don't have an answer.
>
>         1: /usr/ucb/rsh (not to be confused with the beloved restricted
>            shell) will give me a shell on the local or a remote host
>            but if I put a command at the end of the line I get
>            "Permission Denied" every time.  Regardless of command.

I have no guess.  You could try porting the rshd.c from the BSD 4.3 open
release.  The daemon programs have a DEBUG compile option where you can
run them under sdb.

>         2: rexec asks for a password for the specified or default user
>            and then fails every single time.  This is regardless of whether
>            the user requires a password or not.  The message is "Login
>            Incorrect\nrexec: could not execute remote command."

In UNIX V.3.2, there is a new thing called the shadow passwd file,
/etc/shadow.  The password library was not updated to read this file,
instead a new getshadow() (or something like that) was added somewhere
in the libraries.  All programs which look up passwords have to be rewritten.
/etc/rexecd probably hasn't.  /etc/fptd has to be rewritten too,
does it work?  Again, try porting from the BSD 4.3 open release.

>         3: SUN's PC-NFS, running on a PC connected by ethernet to the
>            ISC server, gets "authentication failure" no matter what is typed
>            for the username and password, or if the user needs a password.

See above.  /etc/pcnfsd probably needs rewriting too.  PC-NFS (I think)
comes with the source for pcnfsd, you can hack it yourself.

I will forbear any snide comments about debugging other vendors' products.

Lance C Norskog
Sales Engineer, Streamlined Networks
thinman@cup.portal.com: 415-659-1450