[comp.dcom.lans] Mac Enet cards; was Re: Ethernet for Mac SE/30?

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (09/26/89)

In article <1462@intercon.com> amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>Aside from that, though, the only benefit I can see of the Asante board
>over anything else is that uses a 32-bit data bus to its buffer memory,
>instead of the 8-bit wide one that most other boards use, which could
>give a minor speed improvement in some applications.  It doesn't seem to
>matter much in normal use, though.
>
>--
>Amanda Walker
>amanda@intercon.com

For more insight into this, here's a note I got from our system
architect:

Dartmouth uses Mac-IIs for IP and AT routers (function similar to
Apple's internet router for the II), with up to 6 enet cards.  The
bottleneck in this application is enet card throughput, so we've done a
lot of careful analysis of the various vendor's cards/drivers.  More
specifically, for our router the bottleneck is the data rate between the
card's RAM and system RAM, over the nubus.  As you probably know, there
is no DMA on the Mac-II so the CPU must copy data to and from the enet
card's local RAM.

The Apple and Kinetics cards do nubus transactions in 16-bit units, even
though the bus is 32 bits wide.  In addition, the Kinetics card (at
least the one with the Intel chipset) has some bugs when exposed to very
heavy load, ie >200 pkts/sec.  It can hang and drop more pkts than it
should.  I've never tried to break the Apple card, so can't say if it
has bugs too.

The Asante card does *32* bit xfers across the nubus, so for *OUR*
application its a big win.  Its very hard to get the Asante card to drop
back-to-back packets or hang, at least with our application (which is
very quick about moving incoming data into system ram, thus freeing up
card buffer space).  Finally, the Asante is the least expensive.  We've
been paying about $352 for them.

         | Apple and Kinetics  |       Asante
pkt size | pkts/sec  bytes/sec | pkts/sec  bytes/sec
---------+----------+----------+----------+---------
   39        645        20k        1080       40k
  529        290       150k         700      360k
 1040        258       264k         534      545k

The above figures are quite accurate, having been measured with our
Network General Sniffer and verified by the router's own internal
instrumentation.  They are sustainable *THROUGHPUT*, ie a pkt or byte
read on one card, copied to another card, and then written is counted
just once.  A normal application running as an endpoint in a network
connection should see almost twice as much bandwidth (unverified).
Don't worry that 645 pkts/sec doesn't quite add up to 20kb/sec...
headers etc are counted in one case but not the other,etc.

The big caveat about these results is that I'll bet that most 'normal'
applications are not nearly so sensitive to nubus throughput as our
router.  After all, a router doesn't process the data at all... all it
does is read and write it.  With more processing per byte, the advantage
of the Asante card will be diminished.  One guy at CMU told me he didn't
see *ANY* improvement with the Asante.  He was CPU bound, it turned
out...

Philip Koch
Philip.Koch@Dartmouth.EDU
--
Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett