[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet max length problems

jlo@elan.elan.com (Jeff Lo) (09/21/89)

We have a problem.  We currently have a single thin ethernet running through
our office, with a mix of Unix and DOS machines connected to it.  All of
the Unix machines use IP to talk to each other, and the DOS machines are
using something called Network-OS which uses something (?) other than IP.
The problem is that we are hitting the maximum length restriction of the
thin ethernet and some of the PC's are experiencing difficulties,
presumably because their ethernet boards are having problems with the
too-long cable.  Since the DOS machines don't speak IP, we cannot simply
split the ethernet into two separate networks with an IP router in between.
So, what I am looking for is something I put on the line, a repeater or
something, if such a thing exists for ethernet, to allow us to seemingly
have one long (>185m) ethernet.  Thanks!
--
Jeff Lo, Elan Computer Group, Inc.
jlo@elan.com, ..!{ames,uunet}!elan!jlo

mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (09/21/89)

In article <634@elan.elan.com> jlo@elan.com (Jeff Lo) writes:
>We have a problem.  We currently have a single thin ethernet running through
>our office, with a mix of Unix and DOS machines connected to it.  All of

Yea, boy, okay. Have you tried removing devices to see if one of those
are causing trouble? There is a limit on the number of _breaks_ that can
be in the thin net segment. By beaks I mean connections with T connectors
and barrel connectors. If you have one station, that has a T. in the thin
net segment there are two _breaks_, one on each side of the T connector.
If you have a barrel connector in the segment, there are two _breaks_.

Each thin net segment is allowed 60 _breaks_. This translates into 30
stations. This is an impedance parameter of thin net. So if you
go beyond the maximum number of _breaks_, whether it be T's,barrels,
or patch cords, they all have an affect.

Michael S. Richey    Internet: mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu
Bitnet: MRichey@UCI  CompuServe: 71650,3132    Voice: (714) 856-8374
University of California, Irvine    Network and Telecommunication Services
342 Computer Science      Irvine,   CA  92717

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (09/21/89)

In article <634@elan.elan.com> jlo@elan.com (Jeff Lo) writes:

> what I am looking for is ... a repeater or something, if such a thing exists
> for ethernet, to allow us to seemingly have one long (>185m) ethernet.

Such a thing does exist.  We have here a 3Com box called a MultiConnect
Repeater.  I believe it can support up to 15 branches, each of which can be
of the maximum length permitted for whatever connection technology that branch
uses.  We currently have two thin-ethernet branches, one of about 150m and
the other about 250m.  (We are aware that the 250m branch exceeds
specification.  It nonetheless works pretty well most of the time.  We are
planning to split it in half -- this will require adding a third interface
card to the repeater.)

I suspect that 3Com may not be the only manufacturer of such things, and that
this particular repeater may not be their only offering.  I would suggest
checking with (at least):

  3Com
  Western Digital
  Gateway
  the manufacturer(s) of your installation's Ethernet cards.

No particular recommendations implied here -- I just happen to know that
3Com, WD, and Gateway make Ethernet products.  There are almost certainly
others.

peiffer@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Tim J. Peiffer) (09/22/89)

We had a problem here that was interesting, and easy to fix, but I am confused
at what I did not see.

Why did our repeater not partition under a large impedance mismatch?  I expect
that the repeater should have seen many collisions...  We have segmented our
net into several lines where the aggregate lengths are less than 600 ft.  In
the problem we had, one of our people were installing some portions of a
cluster and accidentally installed a 75 ohm at the end.

I expected that signals would be broadcasted equally across the back plane to
the indvidual repeater modules, and would be echoed back as a collision.
Since the mismatch was not really severe, and the aggregate length is ~435ft,
was it that the mismatch related reflection was absorbed by the lossyness of
the thin-net, and not seen by the repeater?  The PC's and the MacII's failed
to function as expected, but the repeater failed to partition.  I am a bit
confused.  I really do not think that the repeater is a problem, only my
understanding of what did not happen.

3com Multiconnect
+---+
|   | +-->> 50 ohm terminator
| o---|
|   | +---> 250 ft >-> 3x25ft >-> 18x6ft between MacII >-> PC/AT -> 75 ohm
+---+

Tim Peiffer			peiffer@cs.umn.edu  or
Comp Science Dept		...!rutgers!umn-cs!peiffer
University of Minn
Mpls, MN

edc@excelan.com (Eric Christensen) (09/22/89)

In article <634@elan.elan.com> jlo@elan.com (Jeff Lo) writes:
>We have a problem.  We currently have a single thin ethernet running through
>our office, with a mix of Unix and DOS machines connected to it.  All of
>the Unix machines use IP to talk to each other, and the DOS machines are
>using something called Network-OS which uses something (?) other than IP.
>The problem is that we are hitting the maximum length restriction of the
>thin ethernet and some of the PC's are experiencing difficulties,
>presumably because their ethernet boards are having problems with the
>too-long cable.  Since the DOS machines don't speak IP, we cannot simply
>split the ethernet into two separate networks with an IP router in between.
>So, what I am looking for is something I put on the line, a repeater or
>something, if such a thing exists for ethernet, to allow us to seemingly
>have one long (>185m) ethernet.  Thanks!

Ethernet repeater are available form a number of vendor. BICC and Cabletron
both make excellent units.

If traffic levels are high on your net, a bridge may be a better solution.
Since a bridge forwards packets at the MAC layer, it's protocol independent
and has the advantage of keeping packets between nodes on one side of the
repeater off the net on the other side. They're generally a little bit more
expensive than a repeater, but are much more useful aas the network grows
larger. Again, there are may manufacturers of ethernet bridges, but I've
had real good experiance with Retix, NAT, and Cabletron.

One warning when choosing a bridge. Pick a vendor and stick with them. There
are incompatibilities in the implementation of the spanning tree protocol that
the bridges use to talk to each other. While this doesn't usually cause too
much trouble (unless your actually building a spanning tree net topology), I
have seen one bridge tell another (from a different vendor) to not forward
packets one of its interfaces. This can be a problem if your boss is on the
segment that keeps getting shut down! :-)

| Eric Christensen  -  Sr. System Administrator  -  Excelan, A Novell Company |
| Email: edc@excelan.COM        {ames | apple | mtxinu | leadsv }!excelan!edc |

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (09/26/89)

The answers people have been giving you are right as far as they go,
but have not mentioned something.  Most typically large thin-net
installations are done in relatively small pieces, using a thin-net
multiport repeater to connect them.  The problem with thin-net is that
you daisy-chain it, so that if somebody disconnects one machine it
affects every other machine down the line.  It's rather hard to
maintain a network that has 100 machines daisy-chained.  So the idea
is that you daisy-chain small groups of machines that are fairly close
together, and then use a multiport repeater to connect the groups.  A
multiport takes something like 8 segments of thinnet and one of
thicknet.  If your systems are fairly close together, you may be able
to use just a single multiport repeater.  If you have a larger
installation, you install a thicknet as a "backbone", and then have
several multiport repeaters connected by the thicknet backbone.

I'm sure you can get a conventional repeater (i.e. a thing that
connects two segments) for thin-net, but normally what you find for
thin-net are multiport repeaters.  Just about all the standard
Ethernet vendors make them: We tend to use Cabletron, but DEC
certainly makes them (DEMPR), and I'm sure 3Com and all the other
Ethernet vendors do as well.

At some point you'll want to use a bridge or router rather than
just a repeater.  Do that when you have enough traffic that you
don't really want all the machines on the same network.

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (09/28/89)

HP makes both 802.3 repeaters and bridges.  As others have stated, most
ThinLAN repeaters are multiported devices.  HP's ThinLAN repeater has
4 ThinLAN (10BASE2) ports and an AUI port.

Tim J. Peiffer wonders why his repeater didn't partition with an incorrect
terminator.

Repeaters will partition a port if they see collisions every time they
transmit or if a collision persists for an excessive time.  It generally
takes over 30 consecutive collisions to cause a partition.  Partitioning
was designed to isolate an unterminated segment and prevent it from
taking down the whole network.  The repeater transmits to a partitioned
port but ignores packets and collisions from that port.

Each 802.3 MAU acts as a current source when it transmits.  The transmitted
signal is a combination of a DC offset and an AC signal.  The AC signal
carries the data and the DC offset current establishes a DC voltage on
the cable.  When two or more MAUs (transceivers) transmit at the same
time the sum of their currents causes a larger DC voltage.  (Actually the
offset is negative, but most people find it easier to think in terms
of magnitude.)  MAUs detect a collision by sensing that the DC voltage
has crossed the collision threshold.

> Why did our repeater not partition under a large impedance mismatch?  I expect
> that the repeater should have seen many collisions...  We have segmented our
> net into several lines where the aggregate lengths are less than 600 ft.  In
> the problem we had, one of our people were installing some portions of a
> cluster and accidentally installed a 75 ohm at the end.
>
> 3com Multiconnect
> +---+
> |   | +-->> 50 ohm terminator
> | o---|
> |   | +---> 250 ft >-> 3x25ft >-> 18x6ft between MacII >-> PC/AT -> 75 ohm
> +---+

The larger the resistance the larger the resultant voltage will be.  If the
resistance gets too large, a collision may be detected when only one MAU
is transmitting.  The usual causes of excessive resistance are an
unterminated cable, an incorrect terminator value, or an excessively
long cable (because of the series resistance of the cable).

In the case above where a 75 ohm terminator is placed at the far end
of the cable, a transmitter near the 75 ohm terminator sees a higher
voltage than the repeater's MAU will see when it transmits.  It is
fairly likely that the repeater's MAU will not see any false collisions
even though the PC/AT might see a collision every time it transmits.
The repeater therefore will not partition.

Pat Thaler

spurgeon@ut-emx.UUCP (Bud Spurgeon) (09/28/89)

In article <16069@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> peiffer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Tim J. Peiffer) writes:

>Why did our repeater not partition under a large impedance mismatch?  I expect
>that the repeater should have seen many collisions...

If your wire had been completely unterminated the repeater would have
stayed partitioned just fine.  But as soon as the repeater can get ONE
good packet onto the failing wire, it will stop partitioning.  Then
after >32 consecutive packet failures it will partition again (but
still keep trying to send packets onto the partitioned segment) and if
the segment isn't a *complete* lose it will succeed in transmitting a
packet onto it and stop partitioning.

Depending on how bad your wire mismatch/damage is this can happen
quite rapidly and make it appear that the repeater hasn't partiioned
the segment at all.  As far as the hapless users on the "good" side of
the repeater are concerned, it might as well not have tried since the
effect is tons of collisions as the repeater jams each failing packet
and keeps counting till >32 is reached, then goes back into
transmission after one good packet gets through, then starts jamming
again, over and over.

The moral seems to be that auto-partitioning is good for isolating
nice solid wire failures, but if your failure is marginal then the
auto-partitioning feature can't really protect you from it.