[comp.dcom.lans] Literature on X.25

gkrishn@saurez.eng.clemson.edu (Krishnan Gopalan) (09/28/89)

I have seen a lot of discussion about X.25 in this group. Could somebody
point me to any relevant literature(papers,RFC's tech docs etc) on the
X.25
	Thanx in advance

Krishnan Gopalan		Engineering Computer Operations,
						Clemson University.

bob@MorningStar.COM (Bob Sutterfield) (09/28/89)

In article <6620@hubcap.clemson.edu> gkrishn@saurez.eng.clemson.edu (Krishnan Gopalan) writes:
   Could somebody point me to any relevant literature(papers,RFC's
   tech docs etc) on the X.25

X.* standards aren't the purvey of RFCs - X.* are recommended
standards from the CCITT, not documents describing conventions of
popular usage by people working in the field.  The only RFCs with
titles containing "X.25" are 874, 1086, and 1090.  874 is the only one
that addresses it directly.  Sort of.

We get our CCITT books from Omnicom at 703-281-1135.

jimm@haddock.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) (09/29/89)

In article <1989Sep28.152421.8509@MorningStar.COM> bob@MorningStar.COM (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <6620@hubcap.clemson.edu> gkrishn@saurez.eng.clemson.edu (Krishnan Gopalan) writes:
>   Could somebody point me to any relevant literature(papers,RFC's
>   tech docs etc) on the X.25
>
>X.* standards aren't the purvey of RFCs - X.* are recommended
>standards from the CCITT, not documents describing conventions of
>popular usage by people working in the field.  The only RFCs with
>titles containing "X.25" are 874, 1086, and 1090.  874 is the only one
>that addresses it directly.  Sort of.
>
>We get our CCITT books from Omnicom at 703-281-1135.

Start with ISO 8208.  It corresponds to the 1984 version of the CCITT
X.25 Recommendation for Layer 3, but is much more readable.  The ISO
standards are copyrighted, but perhaps your university library will
have a copy.  Next try the CCITT X.25 Recommendation.  It is issued
every four years, with 1988 being the most recent release.  Most
implementations in current use correspond to the 1980 or 1984 version.
The Recommendation was first issued in 1976, and most complaints I
have seen here seem to relate to limitations in that version.

Volume One of the DDN Protocol Handbook contains information for hosts
with X.25 connections to the Defense Data Network.  RFC 1009
(Requirements for Internet Gateways) has some information that may be
of interest.

Jim McGrath

gregk@ubvax.UB.Com (Greg Kendall) (09/29/89)

In article <6620@hubcap.clemson.edu> gkrishn@saurez.eng.clemson.edu (Krishnan Gopalan) writes:
>I have seen a lot of discussion about X.25 in this group. Could somebody
>point me to any relevant literature(papers,RFC's tech docs etc) on the
>X.25

X.25 The PSN Connection, from HP (part number 5958-3402). Good introductory
material, well presented, in depth enough to be used as a reference.

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (09/30/89)

In article <6620@hubcap.clemson.edu>, gkrishn@saurez.eng.clemson.edu (Krishnan Gopalan) writes:
> I have seen a lot of discussion about X.25 in this group. Could somebody
> point me to any relevant literature(papers,RFC's tech docs etc) on the
> X.25

One good text, although slightly dated, is _X.25 Explained:
Protocols for Packet Switching Networks_ by R.J. Deasington
(Ellis Harwood Ltd., a division of John Wiley & Sons).

There are quite a number of standards associated with "X.25,"
in the CCITT and ISO world.  X.25 itself references some physical
layers (e.g., X.21 and X.21 _bis_), and covers the frame and
packet levels.  There are ISO standards paralleling these:
ISO 7776 for the frame layer and ISO 8208 for packet.  ISO 8878
deals with providing the OSI Connection-Oriented Network Service
over X.25.

CCITT also has a number of related standards, such as X.121
for the addressing plan and X.87 hypothetical reference
connections.  The X.135-X.139 series deal with performance.

These are from memory; there are a number more including the
X.25 interface to ISDN.

--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

wasc@cgch.UUCP (Armin Schweizer) (10/02/89)

for the tough reader I recommend the CCITT recommendations:

fascicle VIII.2 for X.3   (PAD setup paramaters)
fascicle VIII.3 for X.25  (sync DTE interface for packet switching networks)
                    X.28  (async DTE interface for PADs)
		    X.29  (sync host to PAD control)
fascicle VIII.4 for X.75  (sync interface between packet switching networks)
		    X.121 (international numbering plan for public data nets)

you can get these standards from:

UIT / CCITT
place des nations
1200 Geneva / Switzerland
phone: -41-22-730'51'11
fax:   -41-22-733'72'56

there is a new edition, the "blue books" coming just this very moment.

kind regards
armin

       Armin R. Schweizer, CIBA-GEIGY AG, R1045.P.06, WRZ
                  4002 Basel / Switzerland
	          phone: -41-61-697'79'46