[comp.dcom.lans] Novell and TCP/IP

nesel@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mike Nesel) (09/30/89)

Would anyone care to comment on the advisability (or not) of
attaching a Novell network of PC's to a TCP/IP network of
workstations and mainframes?

Is it safe to use the (TCP/IP) Ethernet cable as the connection
medium for the Novell network?  Or will the Novell protocol
clash with TCP/IP to such an extent that our workstations and
mainframes will all simultaneously emit clouds of smoke and
suddenly become very quiet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.
--

Mike Nesel    nesel@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov   ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!nesel
     Disclaimer: Opinions and statements herein are mine alone.

paul@cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) (10/03/89)

In article <NESEL.89Sep29162841@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov>, nesel@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mike Nesel) writes:
> Would anyone care to comment on the advisability (or not) of
> attaching a Novell network of PC's to a TCP/IP network of
> workstations and mainframes?

We run a Novell network bridged into a TCP/IP network, and run
TCP/IP over Novell to talk to mainframes and minis.

Using Excelan EXOS 205T cards, a MS-DOS based pc can run
Novell and TCP/IP simultainiously. The only big problem is with
dumb ethernet cards using NCSA Telnet. They cannot do both
simultainously.

With MS-Windows 386 I can have mutiple telnet sessions open while
ftp'ing from UNIX to a Novell lan server.

The only box we have been unable to get online with everything else
is a MacII.

--
Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
Computer Sciences Corporation

sherk@umd5.umd.edu (Erik Sherk) (10/04/89)

In article <365@cscnj.csc.COM> paul@cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) writes:
>In article <NESEL.89Sep29162841@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov>, nesel@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mike Nesel) writes:
>> Would anyone care to comment on the advisability (or not) of
>> attaching a Novell network of PC's to a TCP/IP network of
>> workstations and mainframes?
>>

>We run a Novell network bridged into a TCP/IP network, and run
>TCP/IP over Novell to talk to mainframes and minis.
>
>Using Excelan EXOS 205T cards, a MS-DOS based pc can run
>Novell and TCP/IP simultainiously. The only big problem is with
>dumb ethernet cards using NCSA Telnet. They cannot do both
>simultainously.

	I just pulled down the novell drivers for the FTP packet
driver from omnigate.clarkson.edu. This allows you to share your
network inerface (3c501, 3c503, 3c523, some WD cards and Novell cards)
with other applications that support the FTP Packet Driver Spec.
i.e. NCSA Telnet. I can now load telnet from a network drive and
telnet anywhere on the internet. I think that this solution is
superior to "gatewaying" (i.e. protocol translation) through the
server because the server adds another point of failure. In addition,
heavy ftp traffic through the server really bog it down.

Erik Sherk					sherk@umd5.umd.edu
Network Infrastructure Group			(301) 454-0864
Computer Science Center
University of Maryland