[comp.dcom.lans] pt200 term. emulator over TCP/IP

ccoombs@pilot.njin.net (Cliff Coombs) (10/03/89)

Netlanders,
	I need a little help, direction, advise with a problem I'm
sure someone out there can shed some light on.

Backround:
	We are using thick Ethernet to connect +60 pc's in three
attached buildings (read logically 1 building) to 2 Netware file
servers.  Sytek 4140 multi-protocol cards are installed in all the
pc's except for the micro-channel machines, where Western Digital
etherplus/a cards are installed.  Sytek (now Hughes LAN Systems),
installed a bridge and fiber optic repeater to attach this to the campus
fiber backbone.  Attached to the other end of the fiber is one of the
schools five Prime mini-computers.  Sytek also provided it's version of FTP
inc.'s TCP/IP software.  I have been able to attach to the Prime using
the fiber and vt100 emulation over telnet.

Problem:
	Some of the software on the Prime has been customized to only
work with Prime pt200 and pt250 terminals.  (Don't bother asking why,
It's a long story... I just have to make it work).

Question(s):
	Does anyone make a pt200 TCP/IP emulation product?  Is there a
'generic' emulation product I should try?  If I provide a termcap file
can a product be made?  If so by whom?  Can I get C code and adapt it
myself?  Since the vice-president wants this right away should I look
for another job?

Thanks in advance,  Digitally,
			Cliff
--

   Cliff Coombs                                           VOICE (201) 527-2729
   Network Coordinator	 	 	 		    FAX (201) 355-5143

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (10/12/89)

In article <Oct.2.22.45.42.1989.12597@pilot.njin.net>, ccoombs@pilot.njin.net (Cliff Coombs) writes:
> Question(s):
> 	Does anyone make a pt200 TCP/IP emulation product?  Is there a
> 'generic' emulation product I should try?  If I provide a termcap file
> can a product be made?  If so by whom?  Can I get C code and adapt it
> myself?  Since the vice-president wants this right away should I look
> for another job?

You probably have PC/TCP v2.03.  In this version, you can use TNGLASS with
any emulator that loads as a DOS "console" driver (like ANSI.SYS).  As of
2.04 (which we ship this week, but Sytek may lag a bit with), TNGLASS also
supports emulating BIOS serial line services on INT 14, so you could use
emulators which work that way, too.  I can't supply the emulator, though.
--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901