[comp.dcom.lans] comp.dcom.lans

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj@desktop_mktg) (10/05/89)

>Date: 29 Sep 89 23:28:41 GMT
>Sender: news@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
>
>Would anyone care to comment on the advisability (or not) of
>attaching a Novell network of PC's to a TCP/IP network of
>workstations and mainframes?
>
>Is it safe to use the (TCP/IP) Ethernet cable as the connection
>>medium for the Novell network?  Or will the Novell protocol
>clash with TCP/IP to such an extent that our workstations and
>mainframes will all simultaneously emit clouds of smoke and
>suddenly become very quiet?
>
>Inquiring minds want to know.
----

There is no problem in running IPX and TCP/IP protocols on the same wire.
In fact, if your Novell PC clients are using Excelan's Lan WorkPlace for DOS
then the PC can have concurrent access to the Novell netware server and the TCP
hosts on the same wire and you only need one ethernet card at your PC.
Our solution supports multiple protocols at the same card..

Call 800-excelan for the product literature and information..

Regards!
	                                 		+---+
	manoj goel,                			| +-+-+
	Product Marketing              			+-+-+ |
         Excelan/Novell, San Jose, CA 		 	  +---+
     Scary, a little.  Exhilirating, a lot.  Revolutions are like that.

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) (10/06/89)

In article <489@excelan.COM> manoj@excelan.COM (manoj@desktop_mktg) writes:
>There is no problem in running IPX and TCP/IP protocols on the same wire.
>In fact, if your Novell PC clients are using Excelan's Lan WorkPlace for DOS
>then the PC can have concurrent access to the Novell netware server and the TCP
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>hosts on the same wire and you only need one ethernet card at your PC.
>Our solution supports multiple protocols at the same card..

Whoa!!...  Nice product.  Too bad we don't have to buy your card to do it.

Using the packet drivers available from clarkson.edu (anon FTP) you can
access both Unix hosts and Novell Servers using the same card.  And lots
of cards are supported.  Even ones as cheap as two to three hundred dollars.
(Last time I checked, Excelan's cards were a little more expensive then
 that)

Don't be fooled by vendors.  There is lots of Public Domain software
available which runs circles around stuff vendors would be happy to
sell you for lots of $$.  NCSA Telnet for example: I have yet to see
a PC (or MAC) Telnet/Tn3270/FTP package that can touch it.  And most
of the ones I have seen were quite expensive.

Use your head and your news before you use your wallet.  You will save
money and probably be happier with the results.  Or at least, you can
get the source and fix anything you hate....

Tom Dixon
AT&T Paradyne
uunet!pdn!dixon

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (10/12/89)

In article <6635@pdn.paradyne.com>, dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) writes:
> Using the packet drivers available from clarkson.edu (anon FTP) you can
> access both Unix hosts and Novell Servers using the same card.  And lots
> of cards are supported.  Even ones as cheap as two to three hundred dollars.
> (Last time I checked, Excelan's cards were a little more expensive then
>  that)
>
> Don't be fooled by vendors.  There is lots of Public Domain software
> available which runs circles around stuff vendors would be happy to
> sell you for lots of $$.  NCSA Telnet for example: I have yet to see
> a PC (or MAC) Telnet/Tn3270/FTP package that can touch it.  And most
> of the ones I have seen were quite expensive.

As of this moment, the following TCP/IPs for DOS support the Packet Driver
and interface-sharing with BYU Netware (in order of introduction):

FTP's PC/TCP (commercial)
CMU version of PC-IP (public-domain; Karl Auerbach's TRW driver was the first)
Phil Karn's KA9Q (no-commercial-use copyright)
Clarkson version of NCSA (public-domain)
WIN/PC from Wollongong (I'm not sure if this is commercially available yet).
PC/NFS from Sun (not supported by Sun, but available via Clarkson).

If there weren't at least some people out there who think they're getting what
they pay for, I'd be in another line of work.--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901