[comp.dcom.lans] What services does X.25 provide?

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/07/89)

I'm completely new to X.25, and need to know more about it. I've been
able to get enough information to know that X.25 has three layers,
of which the top-most handles the addressing. What I haven't been
able to get into my poor head is the difference between X.3, X.28 and
X.29, and what services an X.25-based network provides. For example,
does X.25 only define raw circuits, or are there multiple types of
circuits (for, say, e-mail, remote login and file transfer)? I can
almost guess that X.400 is the X.25 so-called application-layer
protocol for e-mail. I believe that the combination X.3/X.28/X.29
does the same for remote login, but does it define a virtual terminal
like ISO VT, or is is more like rlogin over TCP/IP? In other words,
do I still need a 3270 emulator for my VT220 to use X.25 to connect to
an IBM mainframe with an X.25 interface?

Please enlighten me, if you think that you can.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (09/08/89)

In article <796@maxim.erbe.se>, prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
> I'm completely new to X.25, and need to know more about it...

Well it's been several years since I wrote my X.25 implementation...
let me blow the dust off these books... *poof*  KERCHEWWW!! ok, now:

> What... is the difference between X.3, X.28 and X.29...

These three protocols are users of X.25 services.  They are closely related
protocols which provide virtual terminal service.  The human user of this lot
has a dumb terminal connected to a device called a Packet Assembler/
Disassembler (PAD) which collects keystrokes into packets for transmission
to the host, and turns packets from the host back into characters for the
terminal.  The PAD may be either a discrete piece of hardware like a TAC or
a program which runs like a TELNET client.  The PAD executes various
algorithms in determining when it has enough keystrokes to forward a packet,
and so on.  These algorithms are controlled by a collection of parameters
known as "PAD parameters".  X.3 specifies what a PAD does, what its PAD
parameters are and what values they may take on.  X.28 specifies how a
terminal and its human user interact with a PAD.  X.29 specifies how a PAD
talks over an X.25 interface to a remote host about the user's virtual
terminal session.

> and what services an X.25-based network provides.

X.25 is a standard by which a host talks to a network; the actual internals
of the network are not specified, and various networks have substantially
different internals.  But the X.25 standard defines reliable data
transmission over virtual circuits, with a means of addressing, much as
TCP/IP does.

> For example, does X.25 only define raw circuits, or are there multiple
> types of circuits (for, say, e-mail, remote login and file transfer)?

The two types of virtual circuits are Permanent and Switched.  When a
Switched Virtual Circuit is established (by a Call Request packet) one of
several parameters of the call is the protocol to be spoken during the
call.

> I can almost guess that X.400 is the X.25 so-called application-layer
> protocol for e-mail.

Basically you have the right idea, but it would be more correct to state
it that "X.400 is the CCITT protocol for e-mail and one possible user of
X.25 services."

> I believe that the combination X.3/X.28/X.29 does the same for remote login,
> but does it define a virtual terminal like ISO VT, or is is more like
> rlogin over TCP/IP?

I'm not familiar with ISO VT (did they finally produce a standard?) and the
X.3/X.28/X.29 standard has no doubt evolved since I implemented it, but
as I recall it has many of the features of rlogin (not, however, the ability
to pass username, terminal type or window size).

> In other words, do I still need a 3270 emulator for my VT220 to use X.25 to
> connect to an IBM mainframe with an X.25 interface?

Depends on the interface - in many cases, your X.25 connection to the IBM
will actually be a connection to a PAD connected milking-machine fashion to
a 7171 controller, thus:

you - terminal - PAD ========= PAD - 7171 - IBM host
                       X.25

In this case perhaps the 7171 will provide the necessary emulation.

Hope some of this helps... hope it's not too out of date!

Cheers  -- Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/09/89)

In article <3279@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>                      But the X.25 standard defines reliable data
>transmission over virtual circuits, with a means of addressing, much as
>TCP/IP does.

It doesn't meet the Internet's definition of reliable.  If you
don't want to see your VCs reset everytime someone sneezes, you
should run a truly reliable protocol (e.g. TCP) on top of X.25.
(This also addresses all the concerns of the original query.)

					-=EPS=-

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (09/11/89)

Eric P. Scott <epsilon@wet.UUCP> writes:

	Walt Haas <haas@wasatch.utah.edu> writes:

		But the X.25 standard defines reliable data
		transmission over virtual circuits, with a means of
		addressing, much as TCP/IP does.

	It doesn't meet the Internet's definition of reliable.  If you
	don't want to see your VCs reset everytime someone sneezes, you
	should run a truly reliable protocol (e.g. TCP) on top of
	X.25.

Remember, ``Point-To-Point'' is not ``End-To-End'' ... (hi map!)

Of course, VCs are "reliable" but not end-to-end ...

/jordan

haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (09/11/89)

In article <522@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <3279@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>>                      But the X.25 standard defines reliable data
>>transmission over virtual circuits, with a means of addressing, much as
>>TCP/IP does.
>
>It doesn't meet the Internet's definition of reliable.  If you
>don't want to see your VCs reset everytime someone sneezes, you
>should run a truly reliable protocol (e.g. TCP) on top of X.25.

Unfortunately the Internet's definition of "reliable" isn't reliable,
since the TCP layer gives no notice at all when the route to the remote
host goes down.  Bear in mind that TCP is a military protocol designed
primarily for an environment in which a hostile enemy is shooting holes
in the network, and many compromises are forced on TCP users in order
for the protocol to meet this goal.  In the world of commercial applications
that most of us work in, the environment and requirements are far different
from the military world.  The massive inefficiencies forced by using
military protocols for everything regardless of the environment would
preclude TCP/IP from civilian use if the government didn't heavily subsidize
its use.

-- Walt Haas     haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (09/12/89)

In article <3290@wasatch.utah.edu>, haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
> Unfortunately the Internet's definition of "reliable" isn't reliable,
> since the TCP layer gives no notice at all when the route to the remote
> host goes down.

The only layer that should care or know about routing is the layer that
actually does it (IP, in this case).  A program that uses the services of
a given level should not know what's going on in different levels.  For example,
somthing that uses TCP should not *care* if the IP level has to switch routes,
or wait for a gateway to reboot, or whatever.  Virtual circuits are good
models of wires.  They are not good models of packet delivery.  "Reliable"
in the TCP sense means that (a) if it can get there, it'll get there, (b)
it'll only get there once, and (b) you'll know it got there, even if things
happen along the way.  I'd rather have my network cope with difficulty than
to throw up it's hands and give up :-)...  This is why, in a TCP/IP environment,
X.25 is only useful as a way to route unreliable datagrams to another point.

> Bear in mind that TCP is a military protocol designed
> primarily for an environment in which a hostile enemy is shooting holes
> in the network,

Or lightning strikes, power outages, momentary failures, congestion.  These
things do happen in the real world.

> In the world of commercial applications
> that most of us work in, the environment and requirements are far different
> from the military world.

This is only true in trivial cases.  Assuming the best, especially in a data
communication environment, is a strategic mistake.  Things go wrong, even
on the best of networks.  Life is like that.  Gateways can still crash.
Backhoes can still cut through fiber optic cables.  Lightning can still strike
satellite dishes.  Squirrels can chew through phone and power lines.

> The massive inefficiencies forced by using
> military protocols for everything regardless of the environment would
> preclude TCP/IP from civilian use if the government didn't heavily subsidize
> its use.

What's so inefficient about TCP/IP in civilan use?  I mean, especially compared
to, say, ISO OSI...  It works, it's fast, it has survived the test of time.

--
Amanda Walker
amanda@intercon.uu.net    |    ...!uunet!intercon!amanda

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/14/89)

In article <3290@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
	<Original two articles deleted>
>Unfortunately the Internet's definition of "reliable" isn't reliable,
>since the TCP layer gives no notice at all when the route to the remote
>host goes down.  Bear in mind that TCP is a military protocol designed
>primarily for an environment in which a hostile enemy is shooting holes
>in the network, and many compromises are forced on TCP users in order
>for the protocol to meet this goal.  In the world of commercial applications
>that most of us work in, the environment and requirements are far different
>from the military world.  The massive inefficiencies forced by using
>military protocols for everything regardless of the environment would
>preclude TCP/IP from civilian use if the government didn't heavily subsidize
>its use.

Point #1 - If a host becomes unreachable, TCP certainly does notify you.

	The fact that routers underneath you may change your route, if
one route becomes unusable, I would certainly call desirable in commercial
environment.  At first glance this would appear to be more efficient than
restarting a session from scratch as the situations on a complex network
shift.  TCP is a "connected" service protocol.  As long as it can maintain
the connection, through whatever route, it is doing is job.  And it most
certainly does notify you when a connection goes down.

Point #2 - Calling tcp/ip a military protocol is a misnomer at best.

	TCP/IP was not designed to "military spec".  Rather the DoD
specifications are based on the Internet (ARPA net) "RFC" specifications.
These were largely developed in the university environment.  While it is
true that the universities have a large interest in military contracts, ARPA
net developed around the needs of the computing community of the universities.
The "openness" of the tcp/ip type protocols and their lack of security is
hardly within normal military interests.  The DoD specs, which parallel the
Internet RFC's, even have a disclaimer that, if there is any discrepancy
between the DoD spec and an Internet RFC, that the Internet RFC holds
precedence as is assumed to be the authoritative document!  When is comes
to true military specification, the word of the military is God and nothing
holds precedence over the military spec.

Point #3 - Blaiming TCP/IP inefficiencies on the military is pure BULLSH*T!

	There is still a debate on the subject, but many consider OSI even
WORSE as far as network efficiency goes.  The techniques and structures of OSI
take many of the principles behind TCP/IP to extremes.  And our military had
absolutely nothing to do with its design.  TCP/IP's wide spread use is
due to the fact that it is a large multivendor standard, not because the
military has subsidized it.  Does the "gossip" specifications (requiring
eventual convertion to OSI in government) mean that the OSI protocols were
writen to military spec or that the military has somehow subsidized the
Europeans?  Hardly!

	The TCP/IP protocols were designed to operate over absolutely trashy
networks by todays standards.  You might think that as network technology has
advanced that the overkill in network protocol principles would evolve into
simpler methods.  Unfortunatly OSI has proved that such is not the case.  I
would cringe to think of a network protocol truely developed to military
specification.  It would, no doubt, be hugh and inefficient.  However,
unlike TCP/IP, I doubt it would work and I doubt the civilian population
would be interested in it.

----
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

dennis@virtech.UUCP (Dennis P. Bednar) (09/16/89)

In article <522@wet.UUCP>, epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> In article <3279@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
> >                      But the X.25 standard defines reliable data
> >transmission over virtual circuits, with a means of addressing, much as
> >TCP/IP does.
>
> It doesn't meet the Internet's definition of reliable.  If you
> don't want to see your VCs reset everytime someone sneezes, you
> should run a truly reliable protocol (e.g. TCP) on top of X.25.
> (This also addresses all the concerns of the original query.)
>
> 					-=EPS=-

This is correct. X.25 is specified as a protocol between a DTE
(packet switching host) and a DCE (IMP or interface message
processor a.k.a. packet switching node). While X.25 level
2 (the lowest protocol layer) has reliability built into it
(checksums, acks, retransmissions, sequenced packets), the
reliablility is only between the host and the IMP. There is no
guarantee of end-to-end reliablity between two hosts:

	(local)	   (local)	(remote)   (remote)
	DTE	   DCE		DCE	   DTE
	host <---> IMP   <---> IMP  <----> host

In other words, when the local DTE on the left sends
a level 3 DATA packet and receives a level 3 RR acknowledgement
packet from the local IMP (on the left side of the above
diagram), it only means that the local IMP has acked the
packet, but not necessarily that the remove DTE in the
right side of the figure has even received it.  The
virtual circuit could be closed or torn down by the
portion of the network between the two IMPs shown above
before the DATA packet reaches the remote DTE.

What you need is a layer 4 transport protocol that
speaks end-to-end (host-to-host) for the extra
end-to-end reliability not provided by X.25.

There are two ways to layer TCP over X.25:

	TCP/ IP / X.25 level 2
	TCP/ IP / X.25 level 3 / X.25 level 2

The second way is the DDN interface specified by the
Defense Department.
--
Dennis Bednar	uunet!virtech!dennis		(703) 430-9247
Virtual Technologies Inc, P.O. Box 876, Sterling VA, 22170

jwb@cit5.cit.oz (Jim Breen) (09/18/89)

In article <1167@virtech.UUCP>, dennis@virtech.UUCP (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:
*
[...]
* right side of the figure has even received it.  ..........[etc]

Full 1984/1988 X.25 allows for the "D" bit in the Call Request
and Data packets to request "Delivery Confirmation". When this
option is available and used, RR packets advise successful
receipt by the *remote* DTE, not the local DCE.
--
        _______           Jim Breen (jwb@cit5.cit.oz) Department of Robotics &
       /o\----\\     \O      Digital Technology. Chisholm Inst. of Technology

tonyg@retix.retix.COM (Tony Goulding) (09/21/89)

In article <1167@virtech.UUCP> dennis@virtech.UUCP (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:

> This is correct. X.25 is specified as a protocol between a DTE
> (packet switching host) and a DCE (IMP or interface message
> processor a.k.a. packet switching node). While X.25 level
> 2 (the lowest protocol layer) has reliability built into it
> (checksums, acks, retransmissions, sequenced packets), the
> reliablility is only between the host and the IMP. There is no
> guarantee of end-to-end reliablity between two hosts:

I  was under  the    impression  that,  depending  upon  the   network
configuration, the acknowledge can originate either from the local IMP
or  the remote   IMP.   As  such,  this  does  not provide  end-to-end
reliability.  But,  if  the  X.25 'D' bit   is  set to 1, end   to end
reliability is guaranteed,  as the packet  ack will then originate not
from one  of  the IMP's,  but from the   remote DTE.

In an OSI  stack, network  end-to-end reliability is  not assumed. So,
effectively, the D bit is set to 0.   A class 0 transport will provide
implicit  flow control (sequence   numbering),  class  2 will  provide
negotiated flow control (sequencing & credit).  Both these classes can
therefore detect unreliability  (out  of sequence packets)  and   will
disconnect.  They will  not recover.  Class  4 transport also provides
sequencing  and credit info,  and  will  reset  and retransmit  if  it
discovers a sequencing problem.  However, even class  4 will  give  up
after a while,  and so to  guarantee end-to-end reliability, a Session
layer would be used.

Tony.

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (09/21/89)

: [...]
:
: Full 1984/1988 X.25 allows for the "D" bit in the Call Request
: and Data packets to request "Delivery Confirmation". When this
: option is available and used, RR packets advise successful
: receipt by the *remote* DTE, not the local DCE.

Although the spec states that if you use the 'D' bit in a data packet,
I have not run into an actual switch yet that supports this functionality.

This includes some switches that actually implement the '84 standard.

Anyone aware of a switch that implements this function?

--
Danny Wilson
IDACOM Electronics		danny@idacom.uucp

karn@jupiter (Phil R. Karn) (09/22/89)

In article <727@idacom.UUCP> danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) writes:
>Although the spec states that if you use the 'D' bit in a data packet,
>I have not run into an actual switch yet that supports this functionality.
>
>This includes some switches that actually implement the '84 standard.
>
>Anyone aware of a switch that implements this function?

Telenet's network seems to act as though the D-bit were always set. That
is, packet-layer RRs are propagated end-to-end. Apparently they do this
as more of an ad-hoc congestion-avoidance scheme than out of concern for
reliable data transfer. But this works strongly against performance even
when there is no danger of congestion, because the default X.25 packet
layer window is only 2 128-byte packets, and the extra delay incurred by
the end-to-end RRs means that the maximum achievable throughput over a
single virtual circuit can be abysmal. This results in hacks like
"downward multiplexing", where a datagram-based DTE (e.g., the CSNET
IP-on-X.25 gateway) opens multiple virtual circuits to the same
destination and spreads its datagrams among them.  It often takes 4 or 5
parallel virtual circuits to keep a single 9.6kb/s access link busy.

The result is unnecessarily complicated code, lots of dropped packets
and thrashing of virtual circuit connections because of table limits,
and a high rate of out-of-order packet delivery. When I wrote my TCP, I
found the best way to *really* test it under fire was to connect across
a CSNET IP-on-X.25 gateway.

Face it, X.25 is a disaster for anything other than remote slow speed
terminal multiplexing. It is not suitable for serious computer
networking.

Phil

jwb@cit5.cit.oz (Jim Breen) (09/22/89)

In article <727@idacom.UUCP>, danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) writes:

> Although the spec states that if you use the 'D' bit in a data packet,
> I have not run into an actual switch yet that supports this functionality.
>
> This includes some switches that actually implement the '84 standard.
>
> Anyone aware of a switch that implements this function?

The public X.25 PSN in Australia (AUSTPAC) supports "D" bit now
(It didn't for its first couple of years). AUSTPAC went live in
1983 with DPS25 switches from SESA in France. It is just about to
start a rebuild with new switches from Northern Telecom (in
Canada!), presumably with D bit still supported.
--

larry@pdn.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) (09/22/89)

In article <17683@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
    Telenet's network seems to act as though the D-bit were always set. That
    the end-to-end RRs means that the maximum achievable throughput over a
    single virtual circuit can be abysmal. This results in hacks like
    "downward multiplexing", where a datagram-based DTE (e.g., the CSNET
    IP-on-X.25 gateway) opens multiple virtual circuits to the same
    destination and spreads its datagrams among them.  It often takes 4 or 5
    parallel virtual circuits to keep a single 9.6kb/s access link busy.
    Face it, X.25 is a disaster for anything other than remote slow speed
    terminal multiplexing. It is not suitable for serious computer
    networking.

Seems like a quantum leap from an obvious hack to a blanket condemnation
of X.25.  It would be easy (and obvious?) for a private X.25 network to
open the window size to a more optimal value based on number of hops.

Larry Swift                     larry@pdn.paradyne.com
AT&T Paradyne, LG-132           Phone: (813) 530-8605
8545 - 126th Avenue, North
Largo, FL, 34649-2826           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (09/23/89)

In article <1167@virtech.UUCP> dennis@virtech.UUCP (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:
> While X.25 level 2 (the lowest protocol layer) has reliability built into it
>...reliablility is only between the host and the IMP[sic]
correct
> There is no guarantee of end-to-end reliablity between two hosts
>In other words, when the local DTE on the left sends
>a level 3 DATA packet and receives a level 3 RR acknowledgement
>packet from the local IMP (on the left side of the above
>diagram), it only means that the local IMP has acked the
>packet, but not necessarily that the remove DTE in the
>right side of the figure has even received it.

Incorrect - if you set the D bit in the data packet, the RR has
end-to-end signifcance.  Paragraph 4.3.3 of CCITT Recommendation X.25:

4.3.3 Delivery confirmation bit

The setting of the Delivery Confirmation bit (D bit) is used to indicate
whether or not the DTE wises to receive an end-to-en acknowledgement of
delivery, for data it is transmitting, by means of the packet receive
sequence number P(R).

-- Walt

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (09/23/89)

>Seems like a quantum leap from an obvious hack to a blanket condemnation
>of X.25.  It would be easy (and obvious?) for a private X.25 network to
>open the window size to a more optimal value based on number of hops.

The specific situation I was describing (IP on Telenet) involved a public
data network, and Telenet didn't support any way to negotiate the window
size to a more optimum value.

You have a point with regard to private X.25 networks. But you beg the
question, because private networks have the option of using something other
than X.25. Why should I use X.25 in my private computer network in the first
place?  ("Because it's an *International* *Standard*!" doesn't carry much
weight in my book).

If you need to build a private network that can support certain hosts or
applications that require an X.25 network service, you should do it without
inflicting X.25 on the rest of us that don't want or need it. For example,
Cisco's new software release supports the creation of a virtual X.25 network
on top of an IP network.

Phil

adam@castle.ed.ac.uk (Adam Hamilton) (09/25/89)

In article <17683@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>Face it, X.25 is a disaster for anything other than remote slow speed
>terminal multiplexing. It is not suitable for serious computer
>networking.

	The UK nearest equivalent to the ARPANET is JANET which links the
UK academic sites.  It is an X25 network.  We run login (X29), FTP, Mail, the
News and JTMP (Job Transfer and Management) over it.  It works just fine.
	Throughput through a switch will be several hundred megabytes a day.
If two hosts have 64K  bits-per-sec links I can easily manage 32K bps
throughput in the data transfer phase of FTP.
	How serious do I have to get?

terry@uts.amdahl.com (Lewis T. Flynn) (09/26/89)

In article <17701@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) writes:
>>Seems like a quantum leap from an obvious hack to a blanket condemnation
>>of X.25.  It would be easy (and obvious?) for a private X.25 network to
>>open the window size to a more optimal value based on number of hops.
>
>The specific situation I was describing (IP on Telenet) involved a public
>data network, and Telenet didn't support any way to negotiate the window
>size to a more optimum value.

If my memory is correct (it's been three years), X.25 requires the
implementation to allow window sizes from 1 to 7 with other sizes up
to 127 optional. If Telenet doesn't allow other than 2 (the required
default), then it doesn't meet the standard.

Terry

<usual disclaimer>

jimm@haddock.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) (09/27/89)

The 1976 version of Telenet provided private facilities for
packet/window size specification.  Some other PDNs translated the
Throughput Class facility to window, and sometimes packet, size.

I think I have notes on all the old hacks at home if anyone is
interrested.

Jim

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (09/27/89)

>Throughput through a [JANET] switch will be several hundred megabytes a day.

That's only a few tens of kilobits per second. The US Internet is now
largely based on T-1 (1.536 megabit/sec) links, and the routers in at least
our portion of the Internet (JvNCNet) have no trouble keeping their links
full if enough traffic is offered. DS-3 (43 megabit) links are already being
talked about, and the router manufacturers say they'll be able to handle
them in a year or so. Can JANET's X.25 switches run at multi-megabit
throughputs?

>If two hosts have 64K  bits-per-sec links I can easily manage 32K bps
>throughput in the data transfer phase of FTP.

That's a good illustration of the main problem with X.25. Even with the
relatively small default 576 byte MSS, a FTP transfer with TCP/IP achieves
about 93% of the link speed in actual user data, assuming a full duplex path
and a sufficiently large window size to keep the pipe full. If there's a
performance problem in the Internet right now, it's that the TCP window
sizes on most hosts are now too small to fully utilize the new T1 links.
But TCP is a transport protocol, so it resides in the end systems where it's
much easier for me to change than if it were buried inside the network.

Phil

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (09/30/89)

In article <1989Sep18.020822.16329@cit5.cit.oz>, jwb@cit5.cit.oz (Jim Breen) writes:
> In article <1167@virtech.UUCP>, dennis@virtech.UUCP (Dennis P. Bednar) writes:
> * This is correct. X.25 is specified as a protocol between a DTE
> * (packet switching host) and a DCE (IMP or interface message
> * processor a.k.a. packet switching node). While X.25 level
> * 2 (the lowest protocol layer) has reliability built into it
> * (checksums, acks, retransmissions, sequenced packets), the
> * reliablility is only between the host and the IMP. There is no
> * guarantee of end-to-end reliablity between two hosts:
> *
> * 	(local)	   (local)	(remote)   (remote)
> * 	DTE	   DCE		DCE	   DTE
> * 	host <---> IMP   <---> IMP  <----> host
> *
> * In other words, when the local DTE on the left sends
> * a level 3 DATA packet and receives a level 3 RR acknowledgement
> * packet from the local IMP (on the left side of the above
> * diagram), it only means that the local IMP has acked the
> * packet, but not necessarily that the remove DTE in the
> * right side of the figure has even received it.  ..........[etc]
>
> Full 1984/1988 X.25 allows for the "D" bit in the Call Request
> and Data packets to request "Delivery Confirmation". When this
> option is available and used, RR packets advise successful
> receipt by the *remote* DTE, not the local DCE.
> --

While the base standards of CCITT (i.e., Recommendation X.25)
and ISO (ISO 8208) do define the D bit, this is largely for
historical reasons.  Very few (none to my knowledge) public data
network implementations support end-to-end significance of the
Delivery Conformation bit.  Specifically for the OSI context,
the NIST (formerly NBS) OSI Implementors' Workshop agreements
prohibit negotiation to obtain end-to-end significance, as does
the European SPAG Guide to the Use of Standards.

In the OSI context, there are two main ways by which X.25 is used.
The first, probably more familiar, is to provide the Connection-Oriented
Network Service (CONS), the X.25 realization of which is defined
in ISO 8878.  CONS will be expected to have OSI Transport above it.
The second is one way to provide the Connectionless Network Service
(CLNS); it uses X.25 to provide a technology-specific interface
to a packet-switching network, but the service interface shown to Transport
is connectionless, based on the OSI Internet Protocol (ISO 8473).

OSI Transport is explicitly defined as an end-to-end protocol;
it has different classes with increasingly powerful error detection
and control.  Class 4, the most powerful, is comparable to TCP in
functionality.  Lower classes (only classes 0, 2, and 4 are supported
by European and North American OSI functional standards, as well
as in draft International Standardized Profiles).
The different classes provide different quality of service over
different service-providing networks.  Briefly, the network designer
decides on what undetected connection and undetected bit error level
is economically justified, and uses a transport class which will provided
that over the real service-providing network.  Class 0 is intended for
relatively reliable (e.g., typical X.25) "Class A" networks, where
the service network does bit error connection and signals disconnections
to the service user.  Class 2 is intended for "Class B" networks
which reliably notify the user of disconnects, but do not do error
correction.  Class B networks are typified by X.21 circuit switching,
and probably ISDN "B-nailed" circuit switched access.  Class C
networks are considered unreliable (e.g., LANs, and require
Class 4 transport.

A connectionless transport service (COTS) comparable to UDP is in
a draft standard.

So, while the D-bit is provided in the base standards, no one really
uses it.
--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

In article <6576@pdn.paradyne.com>, larry@pdn.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) writes:
> In article <17683@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
>     Telenet's network seems to act as though the D-bit were always set. That
>     the end-to-end RRs means that the maximum achievable throughput over a
>     single virtual circuit can be abysmal. This results in hacks like
>     "downward multiplexing", where a datagram-based DTE (e.g., the CSNET
>     IP-on-X.25 gateway) opens multiple virtual circuits to the same
>     destination and spreads its datagrams among them.  It often takes 4 or 5
>     parallel virtual circuits to keep a single 9.6kb/s access link busy.
>     Face it, X.25 is a disaster for anything other than remote slow speed
>     terminal multiplexing. It is not suitable for serious computer
>     networking.

I agree that X.25 does not always have optimal performance characteristics,
although it can sometimes be tuned (see below).  Something to bear in
mind, however, is that X.25 is the only interface available on a
reasonably worldwide basis.  European ministries of posts and telegraphs
have historically been EXTREMELY reluctant to permit (and they can enforce
this) use of non-X.25 networks.

Currently planned data interfaces to ISDN are oriented to X.25, although
one can set up a 64KBPS connection between pairs of points and run
anything over them, the PTT willing.

So, while X.25 is not ideal, it will probably be only thing usable worldwide
for 10-20 years or so.  There may be faster and more effective protocols
on Son of Internet (T3 or whatever), but vendors will need to look at
these as adjuncts to X.25, simply because these improved protocols
will not be available everywhere.

Just as much as we need new effective protocols, we need to know
how to wrest the best possible performance from X.25.

> Seems like a quantum leap from an obvious hack to a blanket condemnation
> of X.25.  It would be easy (and obvious?) for a private X.25 network to
> open the window size to a more optimal value based on number of hops.

1984 X.25 provides a mechanism for negotiating a non-default (default
normally being 2) window size; whether a given network supports
nonstandard window sizes is a good question when selecting among
network vendors.

Using modulo 8 sequence numbering, windows up to 7 can be supported,
and up to 127 with modulo 128.

Other performance parameters, such as maximum data packet size
and a throughput objective, can be negotiated.  Implementation of
these negotiation features is network dependent.
--

larry@pdn.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) (10/02/89)

In article <22877@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>The second is one way to provide the Connectionless Network Service
>(CLNS); it uses X.25 to provide a technology-specific interface
>to a packet-switching network, but the service interface shown to Transport
>is connectionless, based on the OSI Internet Protocol (ISO 8473).

This description seems to be implying a reason for this interface,
but if so, it escapes me.  Can you provide some background as to why
network designers might want a CNLS interface over an inherently
connection-oriented network layer?  If the Layer 3 path traversed
multiple subnets with an unreliable segment such as X.25-Ethernet-X.25,
is the CNLS interface to Layer 4 no less viable than the CONS?  Is it
simply easier to use?  What else?

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (10/10/89)

In article <6624@pdn.paradyne.com>, larry@pdn.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) writes:
> In article <22877@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
> >The second is one way to provide the Connectionless Network Service
> >(CLNS); it uses X.25 to provide a technology-specific interface
> >to a packet-switching network, but the service interface shown to Transport
> >is connectionless, based on the OSI Internet Protocol (ISO 8473).
>
> This description seems to be implying a reason for this interface,
> but if so, it escapes me.  Can you provide some background as to why
> network designers might want a CNLS interface over an inherently
> connection-oriented network layer?  If the Layer 3 path traversed
> multiple subnets with an unreliable segment such as X.25-Ethernet-X.25,
> is the CNLS interface to Layer 4 no less viable than the CONS?  Is it
> simply easier to use?  What else?

One of the uglier problems in current OSI is that Transport (at least
connection-oriented transport) does have expectations about the
characteristics of the underlying Network Service.   Transport
over CNLS cannot directly interoperate with transport over CONS.
A number of factors are involved, including whether Transport depends
on the lower layer (i.e., network) to tell it whether a connection
has broken.

There are a variety of solutions to this problem, including transport
relays.  The definitive solution is still evolving.  Note that
X.25 over LANs is used in Europe as a circumvention to this
difficulty.
--

jimm@haddock.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) (10/11/89)

In article <23189@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>There are a variety of solutions to this problem, including transport
>relays.  The definitive solution is still evolving.  Note that
>X.25 over LANs is used in Europe as a circumvention to this
>difficulty.
>--
Prime Computer runs X.25 over their proprietary Ringnet LAN, as well
as providing X.25 service over WANs.

Jim

cliff@violet.berkeley.edu (Cliff Frost) (10/11/89)

In article <23189@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:

>One of the uglier problems in current OSI is that Transport (at least
>connection-oriented transport) does have expectations about the
>characteristics of the underlying Network Service.   Transport
>over CNLS cannot directly interoperate with transport over CONS.
>A number of factors are involved, including whether Transport depends
>on the lower layer (i.e., network) to tell it whether a connection
>has broken.

Caveat:
I knew next to nothing about OSI before InterOp this year, and I don't
know much (if any) more now.  I'd like to learn, which is the why of
this note.

Why not just run TP4 everywhere?  It could run over X.25 just as well
as over connectionless, couldn't it?  That would at least reduce the
number of complexities in OSI by a large amount.  What do TP0-TP3
give you that TP4 doesn't?  (This question was raised by someone at
InterOp and no one even tried to answer it--does this mean it was
an extremely stupid question or an extremely good one?)

The only argument I've heard is that TP4 is too expensive a
transport protocol for some cases--but Van Jacobson's work pretty
soundly squashes that reasoning.  What key point(s) am I missing?
(I mean, technically--not politically.)

>There are a variety of solutions to this problem, including transport
>relays.  The definitive solution is still evolving.  Note that
>X.25 over LANs is used in Europe as a circumvention to this
>difficulty.

Transport relays mean you lose all hope of end-to-end checksumming.
After several years of maintaining a production network this is too grim
for me to contemplate.

X.25 over LANs?  Somehow this sounds like a "worst of both worlds"
scenario.  I thought X.25 and virtual circuits were supposed to buy you
things like congestion control and "guaranteed" throughput.  How do
they do that over ethernets?

	Thanks very much,
		Cliff Frost
		Central Computing Services
		University of California, Berkeley
		<cliff@berkeley.edu>

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (10/11/89)

In article <14858@haddock.ima.isc.com>, jimm@haddock.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) writes:
> In article <23189@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
> >There are a variety of solutions to this problem, including transport
> >relays.  The definitive solution is still evolving.  Note that
> >X.25 over LANs is used in Europe as a circumvention to this
> >difficulty.
> >--
> Prime Computer runs X.25 over their proprietary Ringnet LAN, as well
> as providing X.25 service over WANs.

An interesting historical note here is that the first generation
of Telenet switches used Prime minicomputers rather than especially
designed packet switches.  Prime was closely involved, therefore,
in the initial U.S. public network implementation of X.25 (1976).

Prime machines are still used for Telenet network control centers
(a specific set of functions as opposed to a place or organization),
and, in large systems, use X.25 over the Prime LAN for interprocessor
communications.
--

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (10/16/89)

>Why not just run TP4 everywhere?  It could run over X.25 just as well
>as over connectionless, couldn't it?  That would at least reduce the
>number of complexities in OSI by a large amount.  What do TP0-TP3
>give you that TP4 doesn't?  (This question was raised by someone at
>InterOp and no one even tried to answer it--does this mean it was
>an extremely stupid question or an extremely good one?)

That's actually an extremely good question. The answer has to do with
the *real* motivation behind OSI -- namely, the *thwarting* of true,
interoperable internetworking by the European PTTs in order to protect
their X.25 network monopolies. There can be no other explanation for the
existence of five separate and incompatible "transport classes" in OSI,
all providing the same connection-oriented service to the next higher
layer. It is often said that the US must "migrate" to OSI "so we can
talk to the Europeans." But the sad truth is that the Europeans will use
TP0 above X.25 while the US will use TP4 above CLNS. The result will be
two (or more) incompatible islands, even though both will be nominally
"OSI compliant".

OSI is the biggest bill of goods that has ever been sold to the US
government (with the possible exception of SDI). Anyone in Europe (or
elsewhere) who is seriously interested in true multivendor
internetworking is already running TCP/IP, and its use in Europe is
growing rapidly despite the best efforts of the local governments to
stamp it out.

It would have been far better had the TP-4 and CLNS protocols never been
added to OSI; then those interested in serious internetworking would
never have been fooled by the OSI siren song into the upcoming Chinese
Fire Drill that will be the TCP-to-OSI "migration".  The European PTTs
must be laughing their heads off about now.

Phil

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/17/89)

In article <17899@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) writes:

>It is often said that the US must "migrate" to OSI "so we can
>talk to the Europeans." But the sad truth is that the Europeans will use
>TP0 above X.25 while the US will use TP4 above CLNS. The result will be
>two (or more) incompatible islands, even though both will be nominally
>"OSI compliant".

Well, US GOSIP 1.0 prefers running TP4/CLNS everywhere, even over WAN's
while US GOSIP 2.0 includes TP0/CONS, TP2/CONS, TP4/CONS (for a WAN system
connected to a LAN system) and even TP4/CLNS/CONS (for LAN-WAN-LAN
configurations), just like the Swedish SOSIP 1.0 does. Both of the also
specifies the TELNET VT profile and are looking at the Transparent, Scrolling
and Forms profiles. UK GOSIP 3.0, on the other hand, prefers running TP0/CONS
even on LAN's and mandates the Forms VT profile.

Just to show that all European Government ISO profile's aren't created equal,
even though this admittedly doesn't have much to do with the European PTT's.

--

larry@pdn.paradyne.com (Larry Swift) (10/18/89)

>>Why not just run TP4 everywhere?  It could run over X.25 just as well
>That's actually an extremely good question. The answer has to do with
>the *real* motivation behind OSI -- namely, the *thwarting* of true,
>interoperable internetworking by the European PTTs in order to protect
>their X.25 network monopolies. There can be no other explanation for the

This rabid, OSI-bashing statement aside, the answer to the question
is that TP4 over X.25 is a relatively poor performer for the resources
consumed (ie, protocol overhead in both layers for ACKing data units).
TP2 over X.25 is at least more efficient.

I agree that OSI isn't perfect, and Layer 4 in particular is unlovely,
but to ascribe the *real* motivation behind OSI as above is pure nonsense.

karn@jupiter..bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (10/19/89)

>This rabid, OSI-bashing statement aside, the answer to the question
>is that TP4 over X.25 is a relatively poor performer for the resources
>consumed (ie, protocol overhead in both layers for ACKing data units).
>TP2 over X.25 is at least more efficient.

In other words, my original statement is still true, namely that ISO
doesn't really consider universal interoperability to be particularly
important despite all their hype to the contrary. Or at least it's not
as important to them as what Michael Padlipsky once called their "bit
saving fetish" regarding header overhead.

I think the ARPA Internet approach, with interoperability of paramount
concern, has proven by its tremendous popularity that people consider
the convenience of a single, universal, transparent Internetwork service
to be well worth whatever extra header overhead it requires. Personally,
I think the header overhead issue is a red herring. Bulk data transfers
can always reduce header overhead to an arbitrarily small value by just
increasing the data packet size. In fact I once computed that the total
overhead of a TCP/IP file transfer using the Internet default MSS of 576
bytes is actually less than an unprotected X.25 transfer using the very
common X.25 network default packet size limit of 128 bytes. (Yes, I know
you're supposed to be able to increase the X.25 packet sizes, but if
header overhead was so vitally important, don't you think they would
have made the defaults larger?)

Header overhead in TCP/IP is significant only for small, interactive
packets over slow and expensive links. But Van Jacobsen's recent
point-to-point header compression work (described in the SLIP session at
Interop) has shown that you need not sacrifice the universality or the
robustness of the TCP/IP approach to attain good performance over slow
links. He's got the typical Telnet data packet down to 5 bytes or so.
All it took was one smart person working on the problem.

Performance across X.25 is an issue only because of the European PTTs'
hammerlock on data communications. If they'd privatize and deregulate
their markets, and in particular if they'd sell leased lines at
reasonable prices to resellers and private network operators so they
could build more modern computer networks like we have in the US, I
think you'd see the concern disappear. Why else would the US be going
for TP4 while Europe goes for TP0? The laws of physics and mathematics
are the same on the two continents; the differences are in the laws
governing competition in telecommunications.

>I agree that OSI isn't perfect, and Layer 4 in particular is unlovely,
>but to ascribe the *real* motivation behind OSI as above is pure
nonsense.

Yeah, I probably violated my own rule of "never attribute to malice that
which can be adequately explained by stupidity". But one still wonders,
given so many blatantly misleading claims from the OSI camp.

I should say here that I'm definitely not "rabidly" opposed to the
entire OSI effort. Once in a while, an idea appears in OSI that might
actually be worth trying. And if somebody can demonstrate through actual
experiment (not a paper study) that a particular OSI service is actually
"better" (in some widely agreed sense, be it functionality, performance,
or implementability) than an existing Internet service, then I'd agree
that we should use it. Heck, I'm a big supporter of the metric system
because it's clearly better than what we now use.

The problem is that, by and large, this just isn't the case with OSI,
especially in the lower and middle layers (transport on down). A forced
"transition to OSI" here will yield NO MEANINGFUL ADVANTAGES WHATSOEVER
over TCP/IP in terms of performance, interoperability or services. But
it WILL be very expensive, disruptive and confusing to an awful lot of
people, especially those trusting neophytes who have bought the OSI
salesman's pitch hook, line and sinker.

Perhaps the best approach is the one being taken by Marshall Rose's
ISODE package, which concentrates on the ISO applications while using
the existing TCP/IP infrastructure. If there's ANY advantage AT ALL in
going to OSI, it'll be in the applications -- although this is far from
proven. Nevertheless, they're worth experimenting with, just in case. I
can say that an awful lot of excess baggage is going to have to go
before the OSI applications could ever become usable standards.

But if you're going to tell me I have to "go OSI" and toss out a
perfectly good Internet just because the Government says so, and not
because of an legitimate reason, then I think I can be excused if I get
a little upset. The last time the US Government scrapped a perfectly
good existing technology in favor of a heavily hyped universal
replacement, we couldn't launch anything into space for over a year. And
we're still recovering from THAT fiasco.

Phil

cliff@violet.berkeley.edu (Cliff Frost) (10/20/89)

In article <17953@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>Performance across X.25 is an issue only because of the European PTTs'
>hammerlock on data communications. If they'd privatize and deregulate
>their markets, and in particular if they'd sell leased lines at
>reasonable prices to resellers and private network operators so they
...etc

I'm told by someone in Finland that the Finnish PTT is offering a service
that sounds like a leased line.  It may still be X.25 based (maybe not)
but instead of paying by the packet they pay by the bandwidth reserved
regardless of how many packets they send.

Apparently this was in response to demand from TCP/IP (who later plan
to be TP4/CLNP) internetworkers there.  So, at least one European PTT is
giving their users a choice.

I've been collecting a lot of very helpful and interesting responses to
my original question, in a week or so I should be able to post a summary.
	Thanks,
		Cliff

jh@tut.fi (Hein{nen Juha) (10/20/89)

In article <1989Oct19.212614.15549@agate.berkeley.edu> cliff@violet.berkeley.edu (Cliff Frost) writes:

   I'm told by someone in Finland that the Finnish PTT is offering a
   service that sounds like a leased line.  It may still be X.25 based
   (maybe not) but instead of paying by the packet they pay by the
   bandwidth reserved regardless of how many packets they send.

   Apparently this was in response to demand from TCP/IP (who later
   plan to be TP4/CLNP) internetworkers there.  So, at least one
   European PTT is giving their users a choice.

The backbone of the Finnish PTT service called DATANET is not based on
X.25 but on point-to-point links directly connecting Cisco routers (so
you don't loose any bandwith).  If someone in Finland now wants to
join FUNET (Finnish Research and University Network) and from thereon
to NORDUnet and Internet, they can simply subscribe to DATANET which
has 64Kb line (to be soon upgraded to 2Mb) to our Cisco.

So our State PTT very much wants to respond to customer needs and they
don't seem to give damm to CCITT/CEPT politics.  The reason for this
is simple: they don't have monopoly on data services.  In most EC
countries this is not the case and, as a result, we are widnessing
forced pushing of X.25/TP0 technology for both WANs and LANs.
--
--	Juha Heinanen, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Finland
	jh@tut.fi (Internet), tut!jh (UUCP), jh@tut (Bitnet)