[comp.dcom.lans] Req For Info - Ethernet Electrical Rules/Specs

ta2@acci.com (10/02/89)

I need a good reference on the electrical rules/specs for Ethernet.
My Dad is a telecommunications consultant who is laying out the cable
plant for an office building. The non-technical lan manager person
for this building keeps laying out all kinds of rules, which Dad
being an old time RF jock doesn't see the point of. Specifically,

1) Why can't you use 75ohm cable for thin ethernet?

2) Is is legal to run a pigtail of two or three feet from the
   base of the BNC T to the Ethernet card?

Please respond by E-mail, and thanks in advance!

--- Tom

Tom Allebrandi  | Advanced Computer Consulting,Inc  |  Charlottesville, VA
804 977 4272    | VMS User's Network Working Group -- The DECUS UUCP people
---------- you should be able to find me somewhere in this mess -----------
Bix: ta2        | Internet: ta2@acci.com | Bitnet: ta2%esther@virginia.edu
DCS: ALLEBRANDI | DECUServe: ALLEBRANDI  | Pageswapper: US142404

johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) (10/06/89)

In article <188.2526de30@acci.com> ta2@acci.com writes:

>1) Why can't you use 75ohm cable for thin ethernet?

You would be creating an impedance mis-match with the Thin Ethernet transceiver.
This will cause relections on the cable (transmission line) and distort the
signal.  The problem may not be noticed with a small number of nodes and short
cable lengths but as the number of nodes increase and the length of cable
increases, so will the trouble.

>2) Is is legal to run a pigtail of two or three feet from the
>   base of the BNC T to the Ethernet card?

This is a definite no-no.  Not only would you be radiating all over the place
(an FCC taboo) but you would cause an even more severe mis-match than if you
used a 75 ohm cable.  The impedance of the pigtail will depend on the thickness
of the conductors and the distance between them.  The cards would probably not
work with a pigtail an inch long let alone two or three feet.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/07/89)

In article <580@trwind.UUCP> johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) writes:
>In article <188.2526de30@acci.com> ta2@acci.com writes:

>>2) Is is legal to run a pigtail of two or three feet from the
>>   base of the BNC T to the Ethernet card?

>This is a definite no-no.  Not only would you be radiating all over the place
>(an FCC taboo) but you would cause an even more severe mis-match than if you
>used a 75 ohm cable.  The impedance of the pigtail will depend on the thickness
>of the conductors and the distance between them.  The cards would probably not
>work with a pigtail an inch long let alone two or three feet.

I've actually seen this, and it worked. The site put a thin ethernet segment
in the walls and had the base end of the T connector going out of the wall.
When there were a need to connect a workstation, a Mac or whatever to the
network, they just connected a few meter long cable to the T connector and
to the thin ethernet connector on the Ethernet board in the machine.

Judging from prior knowledge, this just should't work, yet still it does.
Can anyone explain this?

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/08/89)

In article <850@maxim.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
> When there were a need to connect a workstation, a Mac or whatever to the
> network, they just connected a few meter long cable to the T connector and
> to the thin ethernet connector on the Ethernet board in the machine.
>
> Judging from prior knowledge, this just should't work, yet still it does.
> Can anyone explain this?

	To mis-quote Abraham Lincoln, "You can violate some of the rules some
of the time.  You can even violate some of rules all of the time.  But you
can't violate all of the rules all of the time."  In any well-designed
system, the configuration rules are conservative and are designed to
guarantee that your system will always work if you follow all the rules.
They don't guarantee the converse; that your system will be broken if you
violate any of the rules.  Ethernet is no exception.  You can probably get
away with cheating in one area or another, but eventually, if you cheat
enough, it will catch up with you.

	By installing the "pigtails", you are introducing reflections into
the system.  If your network is small enough, you can probably get away with
it, but eventually you will discover that you can't put the full number of
stations on your net, or you can't run the full number of meters of cable,
and still have things work right.  Perhaps if you looked carefully, you might
discover that even though your net appears to work fine, you really have an
abnormally high number of corrupted packets or collisions but your software
is silently correcting the problem.

	I'll give you a down-home example of what I am talking about.  When
we first installed our ethernet backbone, I misinterpreted the instructions
about tranciver tap spacing.  What you are supposed to do is make sure the
taps are on 2.5m(?) spacings, i.e. right on the black stripes marked on the
cable.  I read it as not allowing taps to be *any closer than* 2.5m and made
sure that the taps were between stripes, with at least 2 stripes between
every two taps.  I've since realized my mistake, and all new taps go on
stripes, but we still have a dozen or so mis-placed taps.  So far, everything
stil works fine, but I'm constantly aware that if our net grows enough, some
day I may have to pull out the ethernet trunk cable and replace it with one
done correctly.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (10/08/89)

In article <580@trwind.UUCP> johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) writes:
+---------------
| In article <188.2526de30@acci.com> ta2@acci.com writes:
| >1) Why can't you use 75ohm cable for thin ethernet?
| You would be creating an impedance mis-match with the Thin Ethernet
| transceiver.  This will cause relections on the cable (transmission line)
| and distort the signal.  The problem may not be noticed with a small number
| of nodes and short cable lengths...
+---------------

Actually, if you also use 75-ohm terminators at the cable ends [which is
needed to match the 75-cable, no?] , you'll notice trouble even with *tiny*
cables. You see, Ethernet uses a D.C. voltage-sensing method for collision
detection. When transmitting, Ethernet transceivers inject a known current
(*not* voltage) into a known 25-ohm impdedance [the parallel connection of
"two" 50-ohm cables, namely, the cable to each side of the transceiver],
which creates a voltage per E = I * R. If two stations transmit at once,
the currents add, and thus so do the voltages, and the collision is detected
by each station measuring that the local *voltage* is more than can be
accounted for by the locally-injected *current*.

Now if all cables were tiny and all transceiver's transmitters exactly
the same, the best voltage threshold to use for detecting collisions
would be exactly between the voltages of one transmitter and two concurrent
transmitters, or 1.5 times once transmitter. But cables *can* be long, and
the other guy's transceiver *can* be a little below par, so a better place
to set the threshold is a little lower, say 1.25 or 1.2 times your own
nominal output voltage (and that's in fact what commercial transceivers do).

O.K.  So you decide to use 75-ohm cable, 'cause it's cheap and you can get
it at Radio Shack or whatever. And you terminate the ends with 75-ohm
resistors to avoid reflections. And the first time any transceiver on
the cable starts transmitting, it'll see a local voltage of 1.5 times
what it expects (75 / 50 = 1.5), and will scream "Collision!" over and
over. Oops!

Stick to the 50-ohm cable. [And for long runs, I mean the *50* ohms of such
cable as RG58/AU or RG58/CU, not *53* ohms of RG58/U.] And try to get all the
cable for one Ethernet from the same spool, or at least the same lot number.

[Note that you can use *any* kind of cable, or even bare wire, on a *really*
short cable -- say, one foot -- as long as you have two 50-ohm (or one 25-ohm)
resistive terminators. Useful to know for that late-night quick hack on a
benchtop.]

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) (10/09/89)

In article <850@maxim.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In article <580@trwind.UUCP> johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) writes:
>>In article <188.2526de30@acci.com> ta2@acci.com writes:
>
>>>2) Is is legal to run a pigtail of two or three feet from the
>>>   base of the BNC T to the Ethernet card?
>
>>This is a definite no-no.  Not only would you be radiating all over the place
>>(an FCC taboo) but you would cause an even more severe mis-match than if you
>>used a 75 ohm cable.  The impedance of the pigtail will depend on the thickness
>>of the conductors and the distance between them.  The cards would probably not
>>work with a pigtail an inch long let alone two or three feet.
>
>I've actually seen this, and it worked. The site put a thin ethernet segment
>in the walls and had the base end of the T connector going out of the wall.
>When there were a need to connect a workstation, a Mac or whatever to the
>network, they just connected a few meter long cable to the T connector and
>to the thin ethernet connector on the Ethernet board in the machine.
>
>Judging from prior knowledge, this just should't work, yet still it does.
>Can anyone explain this?

For one thing, this is not a "pigtail" as I took it to mean.  When we refer to
pigtails around here it is taking the coax and bringing it out to two separate
leads.  As to why the configuration that you descibe works...luck comes to mind.
One reason that I can think of off the top of my head would be that the
Ethernet cards that are being attached provide an excellent match to the
cable.  This will minimize the reflections going back to the "trunk" and
won't interfere with the signal there.  If the card does not provide a good
match, it can mess up the network without being active.  A good reason why
this should not be done.

--

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (10/10/89)

In article <580@trwind.UUCP>, johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) writes:
> In article <188.2526de30@acci.com> ta2@acci.com writes:
> >
> >1) Why can't you use 75ohm cable for thin ethernet?
>
> You would be creating an impedance mis-match with the Thin Ethernet
> transceiver. This will cause relections on the cable (transmission line)
> and distort the signal.

There's a far worse problem. The Ethernet transmitters drive a
constant CURRENT into the cable of 90 +-4 mA. This develops a VOLTAGE
across the cable that the receivers receive. If they don't see an
average voltage of half of the peak 90e-3 * (50/2), they scream
"COLLISION!!". The actual allowed range is -1.492V to -1.629V.

A 75 ohm cable will develop 0.5 * (90e-3 * (75/2) ) = 1.69V average
voltage, and will trigger the collision detect. Ergo elk.
			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz		|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| " "I Know" is just
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|   "I Believe" with
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|     delusions of
Australia			|      grandeur."
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (10/12/89)

re a reference for 802.3 cabling rules:

  The best reference is the source, ISO 8802-3, ANSI/IEEE Std 802.3,
  available from IEEE 345 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017.  The
  media specs are in chapter 8 for thick and chapter 10 for thin. If
  you have an older copy of 802.3, it doesn't contain section 10 and
  you will need to have an old copy of the Supplements to 802.3 CSMA/CD
  or to buy a new copy. It is not friendly or tutorial. It tells the
  rules, it usually doesn't explain why.

re why using a pigtail sometimes works:

  802.3 MAUs (transceivers) present a high impedance to the bus to
  make it look as much like a continuous piece of 50 ohm transmission
  line as possible. Any shunt capacitance attached to the cable
  results in a reflection. The standard allows each MAU to cause
  no more reflection than a 6 pF capacitor. When you put on a pigtail
  you will be creating larger reflections than permitted.

  The reflections do two things. They reduce the power in the
  signal and they interfere with the signal as noise. Assume you
  have a number of taps done with pigtails.  Depending on where
  you observe on the cable, where the transmitter is, where
  the taps are and what the data pattern is; the reflections may
 add or they may cancel each other. Also, some components in
 your system may be better than worst case allowing margin for
 the extra noise.

  So you may find things work fine or that most stations work
  fine, but A and B can't talk to each other. You can get some
  pretty flakey problems. It is not a good idea to do.

Same thing applies to 75 ohm cable. Depending on the exact transmit
level and collision detect of your MAUs, you may not see a problem.
You may have some MAUs that don't work and some that do. You can
get false collisions and you can get CRC/alignment errors.

Pat Thaler

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (10/17/89)

In article <850@maxim.erbe.se>, prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
> In article <580@trwind.UUCP> johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) writes:
> >In article <188.2526de30@acci.com> ta2@acci.com writes:
>
> >>2) Is is legal to run a pigtail of two or three feet from the
> >>   base of the BNC T to the Ethernet card?
>
> >This is a definite no-no.  Not only would you be radiating all over the place
>
> I've actually seen this, and it worked.

OK. What we ALL want (:-) is to have the cheapernet in the wall where
it can't be broken, tripped over, left unconnected. What we want is
a BNC on the wall, one on the back of the machine and a simple cable
connecting the two. Too bad the electrical specs won't allow it

This continuous bus-topology stuff doesn't make intuitive sense to
people who's main connection with electricity is their home telephone,
power and audio wiring :-). Now if thinwire could be made to LOOK this
simple.

****************
Now you CAN have this. For those who will be dreadfully offended by
something that looks like an advert, junk this article NOW!
****************

AMP Inc (Harrisburg PA) have a wiring system called "LAN-LINE Thinnet
Tap System". It LOOKs like a simple cable from the wall to your
machine. What it ACTUALLY is is a twin coax, running from the
wall-plug, up to the BNC on the end of the cable and back to the
wall-plug again. When you plug it into the special tap-assembly on the
wall-plate, it trips a switch and your thinwire network just got 12'
(or 16.4' or 24' ...) longer.

Yes, it just did an insertion trick. Yes, it does break the network,
but it's make-before-break and 500ms max., which is a lot faster than
I can do it with BNC Tee pieces.

It's also nicely insulated, so if your network administrator has left
your local segment ungrounded (see grounding discussion, this group),
and someone in the lab has dropped his end of the cable into the
middle of an open PC power-supply, you won't be the one to find out
by getting 110V (or 240V here) across you.

How come no-one's mentioned the SAFETY aspect of Ethernet grounding?
This stuff can transport mains power better than it does data.

Disclaimer - All I have is a brochure from the local distributor - no
other connection at all.
			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz		|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|  approximation"
Australia			|
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|      D. Conway

johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) (10/17/89)

In article <410@wcc.oz> tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:
>In article <850@maxim.erbe.se>, prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:

>> >This is a definite no-no.  Not only would you be radiating all over the place
>>
>> I've actually seen this, and it worked.
>
>AMP Inc (Harrisburg PA) have a wiring system called "LAN-LINE Thinnet
>Tap System".

Unfortunately at $150+ *per connector* it is almost cheaper to install
thick Ethernet.  I have heard from someone who actually tried these connectors
that they cannot handle many connects/dis-connects before something breaks
or the contacts quit contacting.  A neat idea, but....

--

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/18/89)

In article <410@wcc.oz> tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:

>OK. What we ALL want (:-) is to have the cheapernet in the wall where
>it can't be broken, tripped over, left unconnected. What we want is
>a BNC on the wall, one on the back of the machine and a simple cable
>connecting the two. Too bad the electrical specs won't allow it

I've heard about someone (actually the SAS airline company's Danish
headquarter in Copenhagen) who made it work using some scheme with coils
and/or capacitors that the networking company who did it won't let me know.

--

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (10/19/89)

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:

>OK. What we ALL want (:-) is to have the cheapernet in the wall where
>it can't be broken, tripped over, left unconnected. What we want is
>a BNC on the wall, one on the back of the machine and a simple cable
>connecting the two. Too bad the electrical specs won't allow it

It can *be* that simple. We've got BNC connectors at the wallplate. We
run a cable from the wall plate to the computer where it attaches to a
tee and a terminator.

The in wall wiring runs to a ptch panel in the local equipment room.
So at that end of the cable we run a jumper cable from a DEMPR to
the BNC on the patch panel.  Everything in the equipment room is
rack mounted.

The DEMPRs connect to the DecNet backbone and we carry the backbone
between buildings on fiber. It works quite well.

We have several connections in most spaces and even if we do run out
of connections in an area, we can just attach the new machine to an
existing machine until we get around to adding a new drop (if needed)
The best part is that the worst some user can do is knock his machine
and and maybe one or two others that are daisy chained on it.

Yeah, I know, it's a *star* configuration, but it *works*. We've got
a few machines on some old wiring that predates the DecNet. They are
a pain because unless you have a diagram handy you have to assume
that you can't do anything we the cabling except disconnect the tee
from the computer... I'll be glad when they're gone.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

jimm@haddock.ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) (10/21/89)

In article <410@wcc.oz> tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) writes:

>OK. What we ALL want (:-) is to have the cheapernet in the wall where
>it can't be broken, tripped over, left unconnected. What we want is
>a BNC on the wall, one on the back of the machine and a simple cable
>connecting the two. Too bad the electrical specs won't allow it

I recently ran across a product from AMP that provides this
capability.  It consists of a wall plate assembly and drop cable.  The
drop cable is really a double length coax, and thus increases your
segment length by twice the length of the drop.  There is an
application note (DP 5727) that should be reviewed to get an
understanding of potential problems, e.g. reflections caused by
impedence mismatch since both segment and drop may have a mismatch of
as much as 4 ohms (the standard is 50 ohms +- 2).

Jim