[comp.dcom.lans] LANspace and LANspool for Novell ne

jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/20/89)

/* Written  6:26 pm  Oct 18, 1989 by hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.dcom.lans */
[stuff deleted]

What about LANspool for setting up workstation printers as system printers on
Novell networks?
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

We have been using LANSpool to control around 12 non-dedicated print servers
for well over a year now.  The program works great, especially since the
latest version, which came out last Jan., doesn't rely on hardware (IRQ7)
interrupts for the printer...  This means that almost any parallel port will
work.   We haven't had any problems with the software, except for an
occasional VAP connection failure (printing stops, a simple reboot cures).

The program uses Novell's CAPTURE command and other printer support programs
to control printing, so everything is well behaved.  After evaluating some
of the other printing packages, LANspool is by far the best...

BTW, it takes up no RAM in the workstations, 2.5K in the non-ded. print
server PC's, and uses a VAP on the file server.

Jeff Autor                                "I need a disk de-frag utility
jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu                  for my brain...."
Student at the University of Illinois

Also Affiliated with Valmont Electric
Opinions (and facts) expressed are my own.

lim@ns.CWRU.EDU (Hock Koon Lim) (10/24/89)

In article <114400008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>We have been using LANSpool to control around 12 non-dedicated print servers
>for well over a year now.  The program works great, especially since the
>latest version, which came out last Jan., doesn't rely on hardware (IRQ7)
>interrupts for the printer...  This means that almost any parallel port will
>work.   We haven't had any problems with the software, except for an
>occasional VAP connection failure (printing stops, a simple reboot cures).

  Is anyone doing the spooling over the network to the unix print spool area?

--
Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106

bkc@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) (10/26/89)

From article <853@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu>, by lim@ns.CWRU.EDU (Hock Koon Lim):
> In article <114400008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>We have been using LANSpool to control around 12 non-dedicated print servers
>>for well over a year now.  The program works great, especially since the
>>latest version, which came out last Jan., doesn't rely on hardware (IRQ7)
>>interrupts for the printer...  This means that almost any parallel port will
>>work.   We haven't had any problems with the software, except for an
>>occasional VAP connection failure (printing stops, a simple reboot cures).
>>

>   Is anyone doing the spooling over the network to the unix print spool area?

Clarkson has an alpha version of a Novell to Unix LPR gateway program.  The TCP portion is
based on NCSA Telnet libraries. It was developed on Novell SFT 2.15, but should work
on advanced netware 2.15, and possibly 2.1. Probably won't work under 2.0a or earlier.

The program will eventually be given away the same as our version of NCSA Telnet, except that
we will not be releasing source code (due to the nature of our agreements with Novell).

It actually works, and we will be beating on it over the next few months. It supports multiple
print queues, requires a dedicated PC to act as a gateway. Also, due to the nature of the
packet driver version of IPX, it requires Novell networks to have been 'econfiged'.

I'll make an announcement when its ready.