[comp.dcom.lans] Wellfleet vs Cisco

gopstein@soleil.UUCP (Rich Gopstein) (10/14/89)

This message is empty.

gopstein@soleil.UUCP (Rich Gopstein) (10/19/89)

(This maybe a repost - sorry if you've already seen this)

Well, our MIS group finally agreed not to bridge our international WAN.
Now they are interested in using Wellfleet routers instead of the Cisco
routers that we recommended.  I haven't ever heard of Wellfleet.  Are
there any Wellfleet users out there?  Does anyone have any opinions
about whether wellfleet is an alternative to cisco for a large
DECNET/TCP/LAT network?

Thanks in advance (and for all the previous help).

--
Rich Gopstein

..!rutgers!soleil!gopstein

nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) (10/28/89)

In article <823@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@soleil.UUCP (Rich Gopstein) writes:
    >Well, our MIS group finally agreed not to bridge our international WAN.
    >Now they are interested in using Wellfleet routers instead of the Cisco
    >routers that we recommended.  I haven't ever heard of Wellfleet.  Are
    >there any Wellfleet users out there?  Does anyone have any opinions
    >about whether wellfleet is an alternative to cisco for a large
    >DECNET/TCP/LAT network?

We are using 2 of their LN's (medium-sized units) here in New York to
connect 2 Ethernets running TCP/IP. We also have point-to-point connections
going to 4 regional offices here in the US. These sites are using the FN
unit which has 2 point-to-point connections and 1 Ethernet port.

After a little bit of playing around with the SDLC parameters on the
Wellfleets, we have had exceptional performance from them. They are very fast
(pair of 68020's) with 1 MByte of RAM. They have also been very reliable,
even when we have had tremendous problems with our SDLC lines completely
trashing nearly all the packets on the line. Since they have a lot of
on-board RAM, they handle line congestion rather well.

We are using NCR Towers running Excelan's TCP/IP package on the LANs and
they are co-existing very happily. Using RFC 1058 (RIP) I was able to whip
up a simple utility to monitor route updates. I recommend them to anyone
whose machine doesn't have much in the way of TCP/IP or if you prefer
to have IP routing not done by a general-purpose computer. I also know that
they handle DECNET, but I won't allow any VMS machines within 20 miles if
I can help it :-)...

Hope this helpful. By the way, I'm not connected to Wellfleet in any way
insofar as I am a satisfied customer.

Cheers,

Nicholas Jacobs
UUCP: ...!uunet!toro!nick Internet: toro!nick@uunet.uu.net