[comp.dcom.lans] 1 net, 2 locations

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (10/29/89)

I am looking for hardware recommendations for creating a NetWare network
including machines at two distinct locations.  Assume that some sort of
leased line is used to connect the two locations, and that at each site
there is ethernet.  At one location would be a file server.  What would
be examples of hardware used to connect to, say, a 56Kb line?

 Gary Chapman, New York University
 chapman@nyu.edu

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (10/29/89)

In article <12920012@acf4.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) writes:
>I am looking for hardware recommendations for creating a NetWare network
>including machines at two distinct locations.  Assume that some sort of
>leased line is used to connect the two locations, and that at each site
>there is ethernet.  At one location would be a file server.  What would
>be examples of hardware used to connect to, say, a 56Kb line?

Novell has an async bridge facility avaialable.  This is available in 2
forms: A server version and a workstation.  Novell (and I!) recommend
not running this on a server and instead dedicate a PC to the bridging
function.  From there, you simply hook your modem up to the PC and
away you go.  56kb might be rough without a smart I/O coprocessor but
definitely doable.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You