[comp.dcom.lans] LANspace and LANspool for Novell networks

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (10/19/89)

Does anyone have any experience with LANspace for relocating the Novell network
shell into extended or expanded memory?

What about LANspool for setting up workstation printers as system printers on
Novell networks?
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman) (10/19/89)

We have been using LanSpool for a while now, and it seems to be very robust.
Although the program claims to run in a non-dedicated mode, we are using
it on a dedicated workstation at a location well-removed from the file
server itself.

You could check the following, but I believe it is true:  you can run
PCONSOLE from within LanSpool (in this dedicated scenario), but during this
time, printing will pause.  Jobs will continue to queue up on the file
server, but printing will not resume till PCONSOLE is exited.  When we
first put in LanSpool, consultants would run PCONSOLE to look at the
queue; printing would stop, and they wouldn't know why.

By the way, jobs are ALWAYS spooled to the file server with this product,
not the the LanSpool workstation.

We are pleased with the product.

 -- Gary Chapman
    Microcomputer Networks Manager
    Academic Computing Facility, New York University

From: chapman@acf4.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman)
Date: 19 Oct 89 10:26 EDT
Subject: Re: LANspace and LANspool for Novell networks
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans

LanSpace requires EXTENDED memory, and does not utilize expanded memory.
We were annoyed to find that a bunch of 1 megabyte Zenith 286LP machines
we have do NOT have extended memory, but rather 256K of expanded memory.

Upshot: don't assume your workstations have extended memory just because
        they claim to be AT-class machines.

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (10/20/89)

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with LANspace for relocating the Novell network
>shell into extended or expanded memory?

We've only run into two problems with it. First, if the server isn't available
it'll hang the machine. Second, some applications won't honor it's claim
to the extended memory (Compaq's CACHE and VDISK both try to write on top of
it. (aren't "standards" wonderful?

>What about LANspool for setting up workstation printers as system printers on
>Novell networks?

We're using it and no problems so far.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (10/30/89)

In article <1718@bucket.UUCP>, leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>
>>Does anyone have any experience with LANspace for relocating the Novell network
>>shell into extended or expanded memory?
>
> We've only run into two problems with it. First, if the server isn't available
> it'll hang the machine. Second, some applications won't honor it's claim
> to the extended memory (Compaq's CACHE and VDISK both try to write on top of
> it. (aren't "standards" wonderful?
>
> Leonard Erickson              ...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
> CIS: [70465,203]
> "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools.
> Let's start with typewriters." -- Solomon Short

Leonard,
        Do you have an address, phone number or (preferably) a fax number for
the people who make LANspace?