[comp.dcom.lans] Connecting 3com to tcp/ip or ethernet

hehir@spam.ua.oz (Catherine Hehir) (11/20/89)

 Has anyone ever tried connecting a 3com pc network to a unix or xenix
pc network  using either tcp/ip or some ethernet protocol?
What are the problems etc associated with this?
                                        Catherine Conway (was Hehir)
                                        hehir@spam.ua.oz.au

rick@lrark.UUCP (Rick Mobley) (11/22/89)

In article <211@spam.ua.oz> hehir@spam.ua.oz (Catherine Hehir) writes:

> Has anyone ever tried connecting a 3com pc network to a unix or xenix
> pc network  using either tcp/ip or some ethernet protocol?

First problem to overcome would be the transfer of XNS protocol to TCP.
There are some drivers in the works that will allow, as Novell puts it,
Netware Loadable Modules (NLM's). 3-Com calls them Demand something, but
they load when needed and unload when not needed. You would need something
to do the conversion only when those packets are sensed.

> What are the problems etc associated with this?

The main problem I can think of would be that of speed. In cases like
that you may have to put up with a host gateway. The speed will drop
but you may make up for that in functionality.

--
Ricky L. Mobley, WB5FDP | Mail) ...!uunet!wugate!      |    CIS: 70505,1157
1800 Sanford Drive #4   | Path)     wuarchive!texbell! | PACKET: WB5FDP @ WD5B