[comp.dcom.lans] LAN benchmarking

larree@altos86.Altos.COM (Larry Snyder) (11/22/89)

I am looking for ways of describing network performance in terms
which can be easily compared to other systems and configurations.

Are there any widely used programs which will measure the
performance of various layers of a TCP/IP protocol stack?

How does one measure performance degradation when adding virtual
circuits or playing with block sizes?

Is it useful to measure the inter-frame delay between a 'ping'
and the response?

By using a network analyzer to help calculate the average transmission
rate between stations, am i getting an accurate measurement of my
ethernet driver?

What about NFS or RFS?

And, most important, are any numbers available for other systems?

(any useful sources mailed to me will be "shar"ed and posted)
--
Larry Snyder                                         Altos Computer Systems
Internet: larree@altos.com                           2641 Orchard Parkway

haas@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (11/22/89)

In article <28@altos86.Altos.COM> larree@Altos.COM (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I am looking for ways of describing network performance in terms
>which can be easily compared to other systems and configurations.

Well I've found it important to not stop at a simple packets/second or
bytes/second figure.  Another important property is the ability to handle
bursts of closely spaced packets.  Some devices drop packets closer than
X microseconds; this value is frequently more important than the average
sustained throughput.   Other devices can only buffer up Y packets at
minimal spacing before losing packets.

Another figure of merit that's very important in interactive use is the
ability to return a quick response to the user's keystroke.  In some cases
minimizing this response time will reduce other performance figures, such
as average throughput.

Cheers  -- Walt