[comp.dcom.lans] Management interfaces on LANs

jon@gode.uio.no (Jon Oelnes) (10/12/89)

We're running a network management project, and are looking for
(graphical) interfaces to such functions. We are aware of minitoring
tools like the Spider, Sniffer and others, but what we're after is
more on the active side - like having a graphical display of your
network, and beeing able to "zoom" in a node to perform eg. configuration
tasks on that node (a "network console").
Of special interest are programs running on UNIX/X/MOTIF/..., but we
would like to know of other systems as well.
HP got a few product, like the LanProbe developed by Eon Systems - a
company recently aquired by HP - that we need to have a closer look at.
Does anybody know of other products ???

Please answer by mail. My official address is:
   olnes%nr.uninett@tor.nta.no
but the gateway between UNINETT's X.400 mail-system and the rest of
the world is unreliable right now, so better use:
   jon@ifi.uio.no

Thanks in advance.

Jon \lnes, Norwegian Computing Center
           Po.box 114 Blindern
           N-0314 Oslo 3
           Norway
(No, it's not a backslash in my name, I'm Norwegian)

vtaft@hpindda.HP.COM (Vladimir Taft) (10/14/89)

At this point there is no integrated network management system. EON
(now INO division of HP) with its LANProbe/ProbeView has the best
set of monitoring capabilities (will determine the distances to
show you the REAL topology, etc.).

Keep in mind that in order to configure your devices on a network they
have to support some kind of a Network Management protocol which is
non-proprietary. If they support SNMP - you are in good shape. Then you
can wait a little and buy either HP LANProbe and HP workstation or
buy Sniffer from Network General and a SUN workstation. In the first
case, however, you will get it from the same vendor.

					       Vladimir Taft
					       (408)447-2870

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (11/10/89)

jon@gode.uio.no (Jon Oelnes) wrote:
>Evan Wallace (wallace@cme.nist.gov) writes:
> Interop89 ... I saw demo versions of graphical network management
> tools for TCP/IP networks ... all DEMO versions with no commitment
> to ever make them into products. .. Vendors ... included ... Sun

Sun announced its product as just that - a shippable product, available
early '90, including pricing information.  Almost 20 vendors at the show
also committed to using or working with Sun's product.  The version
shown wasn't a demo version, it was real.

I'm not trying to sell anything, just correct the misinformation.

..bob

robert@trwind.UUCP (Robert W. Snyder) (11/14/89)

Robert Snyder
>jon@gode.uio.no (Jon Oelnes) wrote:
>>Evan Wallace (wallace@cme.nist.gov) writes:
>> Interop89 ... I saw demo versions of graphical network management
>> tools for TCP/IP networks ... all DEMO versions with no commitment
>> to ever make them into products. .. Vendors ... included ... Sun
>
>Sun announced its product as just that - a shippable product, available
>early '90, including pricing information.  Almost 20 vendors at the show
>also committed to using or working with Sun's product.  The version
>shown wasn't a demo version, it was real.

As a disinterested third party, I'll add my 2 cents.  Suns product is
very real, so was DECs, and there were more at the show depending on what
you wanted.  This was not like 88 where everyone was running demoware.
These demos were real product or real product in development.

--
Robert Snyder       Disclaimer  --  nobody claims dis, but me
TRW Information Networks Division 23800 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance CA 90505

Chris.Rusbridge@levels.sait.edu.au (Chris Rusbridge) (11/17/89)

In article <6465@portia.Stanford.EDU>, morgan@jessica.Stanford.EDU
(RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

> The innaresting thing to
> me was they also were using a draft management spec from the IEEE
> 802.1 committee to manage (er, monitor) the Ethernet (er, 802.3) layer
> on some of the devices.  They said they were planning to put 802.1
> management hooks into the NDIS-compatible drivers they ship with their
> Ethernet cards for PCs.  The 802.1 spec was described as an early
> draft but better than nothing.  Has anyone heard of anyone else making
> use of this?

BICC sells something called Isoview to control its "managed bridges".
They claimed the product is based on the 802.1 spec. I've not been
able to find out more about the spec, except for the feeling that it
is un-related to CMIP and SNMP. The product runs on a 386 system with
VGA.

Chris Rusbridge (no relationship with BICC, except we use some of
their fibre gear)

Academic Computing Service Manager, SA Institute of Technology
ACSnet:		Chris.Rusbridge@levels.sait.oz [.au]
InfoPSI:	Chris.Rusbridge@sait.edu.au	(DTE 505282622004)
Phone: 		+61 8 343 3098  Fax: +61 8 349 6939
Post: 		The Levels, SA 5095 Australia

ROBERT@eva.slu.se (Robert Olsson datoravd, EMC tfn 018-672581) (11/20/89)

>> The innaresting thing to
>> me was they also were using a draft management spec from the IEEE
>> 802.1 committee to manage (er, monitor) the Ethernet (er, 802.3) layer
>> on some of the devices.  They said they were planning to put 802.1
>> management hooks into the NDIS-compatible drivers they ship with their
>> Ethernet cards for PCs.  The 802.1 spec was described as an early
>> draft but better than nothing.  Has anyone heard of anyone else making
>> use of this?
>
> BICC sells something called Isoview to control its "managed bridges".
> They claimed the product is based on the 802.1 spec. I've not been
> able to find out more about the spec, except for the feeling that it
> is un-related to CMIP and SNMP. The product runs on a 386 system with
> VGA.

	At our university we just ordered BICC's Isoview & bridges for the
	fist stage of our campus network. So far Isoview implements
	802.1 b and 802.1 d. Spanning tree is described in part d and is
	as far a I understand implemeted by many vendors. The 802.1 drafts
	can be ordered from IEEE.
Dept. of Statistics, Data Processing and Agricultural Extension
Computer Section EMC, Box 7072, 750 07  UPPSALA,  SWEDEN   Tel +46 18 672407
E-mail robert@eva.slu.se, SUNET eva::robert, FAX +46 18 302876

Chris.Rusbridge@levels.sait.edu.au (Chris Rusbridge) (11/24/89)

In article <6683@eva.slu.se>, ROBERT@eva.slu.se
(Robert Olsson datoravd, EMC tfn 018-672581) writes:
> 	At our university we just ordered BICC's Isoview & bridges for the
> 	fist stage of our campus network. So far Isoview implements
> 	802.1 b and 802.1 d. Spanning tree is described in part d and is
> 	as far a I understand implemeted by many vendors.

I've just attended a demo of Isoview, which was described as
implementing an "intercept" of 802.1. Other sources have indicated to
me that 802.1 is a long way off standardising bridge management, and
there does not seem to be any convergence between it and ISO network
management. So I guess the implementation is likely to change a lot,
and be of limited use in managing non-Isolan products (it can only
manage one of their several types of bridge now).

Isoview is reasonable, but lacks both functionality and generality
when compared with the SNMP-based management stations that are
emerging. I'd bet on the latter in the short term and CMIP in the
(very?) long term.

Chris Rusbridge