[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet Help RESPONSES

scp@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM (Steve Parowski) (11/30/89)

Thank you for the responses,

I think that I will implement a thickwire backbone and
twisted pair to workstations or A fiber backbone and
twisted pair to workstations.

Any pros/cons and hardware vendors that can provide this
will be helpful....

Ethernet responses are listed below...

Subject: Re: ETHERNET Installation HELP

>I am building an ether net network and would like to use
>twisted pair but I think the 100 meters is too limiting .
>
>Thin Net is a possibility but I do not like the intrusive cable tapping
>feature..........
>
>Thick wire looks great but the cable pull 8 floors might be difficult
>
>HELP!!!!!!!

	I'll do what I can.   :-)

>The following is my topology...

><_137'_______>|_________________***8th floor*****_____________
>^
>|

>|122 feet
>|

>|<______38'__>___________**1st floor***
>             |	      |

	One of the nice things about Ethernet is that you have the
choice of so many media and the opportunity to make so many more
mistakes than you could otherwise hope to make.       :-)

	I think you could exploit the strengths of a couple of
Ethernet media and come up with something you would like.

	If you already have telephone wire and closets available,
consider installing unshielded twisted pair (UTP) Ethernet multiport
concentrators in or near your phone closets.  Then you can exploit
existing cable and you might not run into the 100 meter limit.  You
should have at least one closet per floor.  Concentrators usually come
modulo eight to twelve ports.  Some include network management
features.

	Wire the concentrators together with an intra-building
backbone of thin or thick Ethernet.  Limit the taps on this backbone
to concentrators within the closets, so you can easily locate and look
at the transceivers.  You will find thin/thick cabling of this scale
to be easy to manage.

	So, in brief, use UTP Ethernet for the stations and use thick
or thin between the UTP concentrators.

	Kent England, Boston University

THICK CABLE:

An 8 story drop is not all that bad as long as you have a straight
shot down a Teleco or utility closet.  We run 1600ft segments of thick
coax all through our buildings which cover up to 7 floors in one
segment. I recommend that you start on the top floor, drop the cable
down to the first... run it around the first and then unspool enough
to run it the rest of the way on the 8th floor.

I prefer thick over thin for more than one floor operations.

-rick crispin

I would use thick-wire for the riser cable making sure that it is
accessible from each wiring closet on each floor.  Either leave enough
cable on each floor for multiple taps (cheapest) or plan on a multiport
transceiver in each closet (best).  Allocate enough space in each
closet for star controllers (multiport repeaters) so that each office
has its own dedicated point to point link.  Use either twisted-pair or
thin-wire.  Any active components that I installed would either be
manageable or would be upgradgeable to managed versions.  Networks
always grow much larger than anyone ever thought they would.

If you're going to pull cable from each office to the wiring closets
then why not investigate installing fiber at the same time?

Dave Osterman
LLNL
7000 East Ave  MS L-72
Livermore, CA  94550
415.422.3499
osterman@snmp.ocf.llnl.gov

What about fiber?

-----------fiber-modem--------------fiber-modem------------

ethernet                                          ethernet

We are in the process now of doing a twisted pair network since we already
have experienced the problems with thin-net.  We still use thick coax for
long runs through a single building and tap it in the departments where
we need to connect nodes.  We have studied the distance problem you
cite however found we are well within the constraint.  The 100 meters
is from the concentrator to the workstation, and the twisted pair runs
under the floor so there is virtually little vertical waste.  As I under-
stand it the twisted pair networks where designed knowning that 95+% of
existing twisted pair runs that where installed by the phone companies are
under this 100 meter limit to the punch down closets.

>Thin Net is a possibility but I do not like the intrusive cable tapping
>feature..........

You got that right! This becomes worst with adds, moves and changes you
may need to make later -- with twisted pair all this is eliminated.

>Thick wire looks great but the cable pull 8 floors might be difficult

Do you plan to do this yourself?   We had a cable contractor run a 1000'
of thick coax down the length of our building within a week.  Thick coax
does not bend well so it should not be a problem in long straight runs.

>The following is my topology...

Looks like a piece of cake..

--
   Ray Matrone   {bpa,osu-cis!dsacg1}!discg1!rmatrone
   Internet:	  rmatrone%discg1.uucp@dsac.dla.mil

Subject: ETHERNET Installation HELP
To: scp@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM

<I am building an ether net network and would like to use
<twisted pair but I think the 100 meters is too limiting .

I would suggest a combination of Fiber as the backbone riser and twisted
pair for your horizontal.  The fiber gets you ready for FDDI if perfromance
is a need and the TP gives you ease of installation with Ethernet products
available today.  When you do a fiber riser be certain to configure it in a
star configuration, that is a fiber run to each floor repeater from a star
on say the first floor.  THis keeps your net running if you loose the wire
to a repeater on one floor fro some reason.

3Com provides a TP repeater which can also use fiber modules made by
Chipcom or Codenoll.  I can send you more information if you would like.

Reinier Tuinzing
3Com Corp
408 970-2085