[comp.dcom.lans] Netware on DEC DEPCA boards

wrb@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Barker) (12/02/89)

Howdy!

Has anyone configured a Novell Netware shell for DEC DEPCA boards?  Just in
case, a DEPCA is a Digital Ethernet Personal Computer-bus Adapter, ie, a DEC
ethernet board for a PC.  (Gotta love those DEC acronyms!)  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Barker
U of Washington

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/03/89)

wrb@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Barker) writes:

>Has anyone configured a Novell Netware shell for DEC DEPCA boards?  Just in
>case, a DEPCA is a Digital Ethernet Personal Computer-bus Adapter, ie, a DEC
>ethernet board for a PC.  (Gotta love those DEC acronyms!)  Any help would be
>appreciated.

I assume you want a *driver* (IPX.COM) for the DECPA, not a *shell* (NET3.COM)
Novell will have the drivers in Beta test Real Soon Now.

I'm all too familiiar with this as one department in DP *assumed* that when
they got the VAX, all the PC networking would be done through it, and
that we'd get rid of the Novell Servers. So they ordered 100 or so DECPA
cards with the VAX.

After quite a fight we convinced them of the error of their ways (:-).
But the cards couldn't be returned. So we've been waiting for the drivers
since early this year. Original release date was thought to be August, but
it's slipped quite a bit due to the lack of co-operation from DEC.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]