[comp.dcom.lans] Tops gets err -42

newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (11/30/89)

We (or rather, one of our clients) has Tops version 2.1 running on a PC,
talking EtherTalk thru a 3C503. On the same Ethernet is a cisco router
running version 7.1 and configured as the AppleTalk seed for that network.
This same router also talks EtherTalk to a Webster MultiGate on another
Ethernet. The cisco and the MG get on fine: each seems to be doing the
right thing. The TOPS machine however insists it is on network 0 and
produces "Unknown error -42" every time we do a TOPS ZONE command.

TOPS statistics show it is seeing (good) packets from the cisco (the only
other EtherTalk device on the E-net), the cisco sees ATalk packets from
TOPS, but, nothing works. The TOPS machine is invisible to the rest of the
network.

I'm not really up on the internals of AppleTalk so I don't know who might
be at fault here, or what to do about it. Any ideas please?

--
Michael Newbery<newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz> (...!uunet!vuwcomp!newbery if you must)
Abandon hope all ye who enter CP.

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (12/02/89)

In article <1989Nov29.231916.28165@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) writes:
> We (or rather, one of our clients) has Tops version 2.1 running on a PC,
> talking EtherTalk thru a 3C503. On the same Ethernet is a cisco router
> running version 7.1 and configured as the AppleTalk seed for that network.
> This same router also talks EtherTalk to a Webster MultiGate on another
> Ethernet. The cisco and the MG get on fine: each seems to be doing the
> right thing. The TOPS machine however insists it is on network 0 and
> produces "Unknown error -42" every time we do a TOPS ZONE command.

 [stuff deleted]
> Michael Newbery<newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz> (...!uunet!vuwcomp!newbery if you must)
> Abandon hope all ye who enter CP.

Micheal,

Most of the cisco AppleTalk software was debugged here at BNR (Ottawa, Canada).
What you don't mention is the edit level of your cisco s/w; you should have
release 7.1(17).  All other releases prior to this version had various problems
in handling AppleTalk.  In some of the releases between 7.1(10) and 7.1(17)
(I can't remember which now, we discovered that the cisco would not respond to
to devices which were directly ether-attached.  As long as you have another
router on that LAN, things would generally work; but if a host only had a
cisco to request information from... nothing!

We have been running 7.1(17) throughout North America with well over 100 nets
and zones supporting several thousand Apple devices for a couple of months now
with no further problems (at least none which would affect a network of the
size you describe  :)  ).

Cheers,
Pierre Fortin
BNR Internet Systems, Information Technology Division
FORTINP@BNR.CA

news@usc.edu (USENET News) (12/03/89)

Would someone please post an address & phone number for TOPS vendor.
I gather this may be a product capable of supporting remote spooling
and sharing of network disk files between mac's, pc's and sun's ...
is this correct?
From: annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala)

Thanks, AJ

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Nov29.231916.28165@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) writes:
> We (or rather, one of our clients) has Tops version 2.1 running on a PC,
> talking EtherTalk thru a 3C503. On the same Ethernet is a cisco router
> running version 7.1 and configured as the AppleTalk seed for that network.
> This same router also talks EtherTalk to a Webster MultiGate on another
> Ethernet. The cisco and the MG get on fine: each seems to be doing the
> right thing. The TOPS machine however insists it is on network 0 and
> produces "Unknown error -42" every time we do a TOPS ZONE command.

Macintosh System Error -42 is tmfoErr - too many files open. Could be
a furphy though.

What have you got Interface 5 (EtherTalk) on the MultiGate configured
as? If you havn't got the MultiGate "Seed" on EtherTalk (and the other
comment on the version of the CISCO code is right)- this might be it.
Send me email direct - or phone.

Try re-posting on comp.protocols.appletalk (not
comp.sys.mac.appletalk) as well.

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia  |  approximation"
Australia                       |
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway

2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J
SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832

jgarrard@gauss.unm.edu.unm.edu (Julie Garrard) (12/06/89)

In article <21557@usc.edu> annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
>Would someone please post an address & phone number for TOPS vendor.
>I gather this may be a product capable of supporting remote spooling
>and sharing of network disk files between mac's, pc's and sun's ...
>is this correct?

TOPS is a Sun product, and the person to talk to for sales to educational
institutions is Beverly Miranda (800-445-8677).

We are currently investigating LAN systems for our administrative
staff, and TOPS is under consideration.   One of the big drawbacks of TOPS
for us is that no one on campus has experience with it and local
Sun staff are unfamiliar with it.  Does anyone on the net have
experience in successfully installing and running a TOPS network?
What do you think about trying to do this without local support?

Julie Garrard