[comp.dcom.lans] LAN Manager API info

coulson@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joseph Coulson) (11/29/89)

Can anyone out there give me some information on how to obtain the
API set (Application Programmer Interface) for Microsoft's LAN Manager?
I need thorough documentation on the network system calls in order to
evaluate the hardships involved in porting a current large software
project to this platform.  So far I have not been able to contact anyone
at Microsoft who could supply this information...  (BTW, this would be
a port from Novell Netware SFT 2.15).

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on this subject.

--
----
Joseph Coulson  UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!coulson

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (11/30/89)

In article <10332@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> coulson@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joseph Coulson) writes:
>Can anyone out there give me some information on how to obtain the
>API set (Application Programmer Interface) for Microsoft's LAN Manager?
>I need thorough documentation on the network system calls in order to
>evaluate the hardships involved in porting a current large software
>project to this platform.  So far I have not been able to contact anyone
>at Microsoft who could supply this information...  (BTW, this would be
>a port from Novell Netware SFT 2.15).

Well, if you wanted the NDIS spec, the *3Com* part number for that is
6406-00.  But it doesn't seem that that's what you want.  There's a
really nice guy named Henry from Microsoft who's on the net -- he's a
techie in that department -- but I can't remember his ID.  I suggest
you call Advanced Computing Enviroments in Cupertino, California, and
ask them for the name of the guy who did the BOF session on TCP/IP and
OS/2.  That should be a start.  Good luck!

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) (12/07/89)

  Any lan manager OEM should be able to supply you with a set of API
manuals that detail the api available.  What hardware are you going to
move to?  I'd suggest that you call the manufacturer of that hardware and
aquire the manuals from them.
  In other words, if you're moving to a 3com-based network, I'd call 3com
and ask them about programmers reference manuals for their 3+open product.
(It's an OEM version of lan manager)

  If you're interested in using the API microsoft university (206) 867-5500
has week-long classes on lan manager topics; one is an intro class, the
other advanced.  Suggest you consider the intro class.  Microsoft Lan Manager
Programming Environment.

  Bruce King / uunet!microsoft!bruceki

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (12/08/89)

I found Henry's last name.  He's Henry Sanders at Microsoft, and he
should be able to help you get API information.  Try henrysa@microsoft.uucp.