[comp.dcom.lans] MIDI and LANS

dag@auc.UUCP (Daniel Gibson ) (11/30/89)

Help!!!!!!
I am looking for any information on building a communication  network
using MIDI. If you know of any work being done in that area let me know.

Thankx

Dan Gibson
--
UUCP:auc!dag
"...and maybe love is letting people be what they want to be..."

akenning@pico.oz (Alan Kennington) (12/12/89)

In article <32333@auc.UUCP> dag@auc.UUCP (Daniel Gibson ) writes:
>Help!!!!!!
>I am looking for any information on building a communication  network
>using MIDI. If you know of any work being done in that area let me know.
[...]
>Dan Gibson
[...]

Back in 1985-1986 when I was in Kentucky, I remember there was an awful lot
of talk about using the MIDI port of the Atari ST for a LAN. I haven't
read the newsgroup for a while, because it has too many items per day, but
I reckon that if it can be done, then they should have worked it all out
by now. 4 years should have been enough.

Kennington.

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (12/13/89)

> Back in 1985-1986 when I was in Kentucky, I remember there was an awful lot
> of talk about using the MIDI port of the Atari ST for a LAN. I haven't
> read the newsgroup for a while, because it has too many items per day, but
> I reckon that if it can be done, then they should have worked it all out
> by now. 4 years should have been enough.

From what I recall on the net, 31K bits per second was found to be so
S L O W that no one had the patience to use it; so it sort of just died.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (12/14/89)

In article <448@pico.oz>,
     akenning@pico.oz (Alan Kennington) writes ...

>In article <32333@auc.UUCP> dag@auc.UUCP (Daniel Gibson ) writes:
>>Help!!!!!!
>>I am looking for any information on building a communication  network
>>using MIDI. If you know of any work being done in that area let me know.
>[...]
>>Dan Gibson
>[...]
>
>Back in 1985-1986 when I was in Kentucky, I remember there was an awful lot
>of talk about using the MIDI port of the Atari ST for a LAN. I haven't
>read the newsgroup for a while, because it has too many items per day, but
>I reckon that if it can be done, then they should have worked it all out
>by now. 4 years should have been enough.

Every MIDI-LAN announcement that I saw back in those days turned to
vapor, but recently I saw an inexpensive LAN called SGS Net. One of the
local dealers has it in stock, and says it works. I have not tried it.

Here's a description, from memory (which may be faulty):

A server with a hard drive runs a program that monitors the MIDI line for
data requests. The server program runs in the background and the Atari ST
can be used more or less normally.

Each ST node runs a program that installs a virtual drive; all i/o
requests to that drive are redirected to the network.

File locking is supported. The documentation includes some C source
examples that may be useful in writing your own networking applications,
such as e-mail.

The physical connections require a MIDI cable that connects to a small
box. The box then plugs into a shielded coaxial cable that forms the
network's backbone. I don't know whether they have to be hooked up in a
ring, a string, or what. As I recall, it theoretically will allow you to
interconnect 32 computers, but you should kep in mind that the MIDI port
is not very fast by LAN standards.

The E. Arthur Brown Co., a mail-order firm in Alexandria, Minnesota, that
has a good reputation, lists the SGS Server/Node startup package at
$149.95 (U.S.). That package supports two machines, and includes software
and hardware. (You may have to supply your own coax; I don't remember.)
Each additional node is $99.95. E. Arthur Brown can be telephoned at
(612) 762-8847.

I have no connection with the above firms.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the (frozen enough to skate!) lake in Minnesota
   UUCP: ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve

kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (12/15/89)

I am told that the December issue of Keyboard magazine has an article covering
MIDI and LANS.  I haven't seen it so I am not sure what it covers.

--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????