[comp.dcom.lans] Novell servers on Ethernet

hollandm@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Martin Holland) (12/12/89)

We have a number of Novell file servers and workstations on our main Ethernet.
One particular group want some security and therefor want their server and
workstations on a seperate network. All OK so far.  However, we have
some gateways (TCP/IP and IBM 3270) on the main server which we don't
want to duplicate.  If we install a second ethernet card in their server
connected to the main ethernet are the following true.
1) A Novell server can support two ethernet cards connected to two
networks?
2) Is the traffic on the sub-net invisible and secure from the main ethernet?

          Workstation sub-net                       Main ethernet
   ----------------------------------        -------------------------
   |              |                 |        |                       |
 W/S 1          W/S 2             Novell Server               Novell server
								+ Gateways

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon(813-530-8358)) (12/18/89)

In article <1020@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> hollandm@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Martin Holland) writes:

>We have a number of Novell file servers and workstations on our main Ethernet.
>One particular group want some security and therefor want their server and
>workstations on a seperate network. All OK so far.  However, we have
>some gateways (TCP/IP and IBM 3270) on the main server which we don't
>want to duplicate.  If we install a second ethernet card in their server
>connected to the main ethernet are the following true.
>1) A Novell server can support two ethernet cards connected to two
>networks?

It worked for us and caused no problems.  I assumed that you should address
them uniquely, especially since you are actually are talking to two unique
networks.  I have heard that you can put two card into a server and talk
to the same network with them, and that this is a good way to speed up your
server response.  Does anyone know if this is true or not?

>2) Is the traffic on the sub-net invisible and secure from the main ethernet?

I'm not sure if this is possible.  Usually the "internal bridging" feature
where each server retransmits all received data on its other networks, causes
the opposite effect.  I don't know if internal bridging can be turned off or
not.

Cisco systems makes routers which can route novell and TCP/IP on the
same ethernet.  They are oftly configurable and might be an option if
the server cannot be set not to bridge all traffic.  They are a little
expensive, but they have pretty impressive specs.

If all you want is the traffic between the sub-net stations and the sub-net
server to be filtered from going out onto the main network, the cisco is
perfect for you, since its routing and not bridging.

You should also be able to set the Cisco not to advertise the servers on the
sub-net to the Main network, and yet let the ads from devices on the main
network onto the subnetwork.

With a Cisco:
          Workstation sub-net               Main ethernet
   ----------------------------------   ---------------------
 W/S 1    W/S 2    Novell Server    Cisco              Novell server
							+ Gateways

Your application might be simpler then this and so the cost of full router
would not be justified.  But just in case, the options are there.

I have no affilation with Cisco Systems, other then that of a satisfied
customer.

Tom Dixon
AT&T Paradyne
uunet!pdn!dixon