[comp.dcom.lans] NetBios Complex Post Routines

dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) (12/22/89)

Has anyone out there had any experience with novell and/or 3-com
netbios specifically complex post routines?  I seem to be having
problems with trying to call netbios again from a netbios post
routine.  This works with IBM PC-LAN, Datalan, Banyan, and POWERlan
but not with 3-COM and novell.

hrich@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (George.H.Harry.Rich) (12/22/89)

In article <281@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>Has anyone out there had any experience with novell and/or 3-com
>netbios specifically complex post routines?  I seem to be having
>problems with trying to call netbios again from a netbios post
>routine.  This works with IBM PC-LAN, Datalan, Banyan, and POWERlan
>but not with 3-COM and novell.

My understanding is that when you are in a NETBIOS post routine you are
running at the interrupt level.  If this is the case (and I don't see what
else it could be under DOS), you are subject to timing constraints, re-entrancy
considerations, possible software race conditions, etc., etc., etc.

My suggestion is that if it is at all possible to do so you eliminate the
complex code and get by without calls to DOS or NETBIOS in the post routine.
Your resulting design may not look as elegant but you can leave the complex
debugging to those hairy chested programmers who enjoy that sort of thing.

Regards,

	Harry Rich