[comp.dcom.lans] Another way to crash a 3Com/Bridge server...

marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) (12/30/89)

I've been rather partial to 3Com systems for years, but the things I've been
forced to put up with lately may make me change my mind.  To wit:  we have
a number of 3Com/Bridge CS1 async. servers running their TCP 3.0 software.
We discovered that if a user changes their network password, it causes the
comm. server to reboot.  This is not acceptable.  Repeated calls to 3Com
have left the definite impression that they are in no hurry to fix the
problem.  Anybody want to recommend a different terminal server (with GOOD
TCP support)?

There are a number of other weird things going on in that server - I'll
report on those when I have a coherent explanation.    I just thought that
this note might help someone else who is having mysterious reboots.

--
Mark Anacker				 msa@dsinet -or- msa@toybox
Digital Systems International, Inc.

tgsmith@sunfix.East.Sun.COM (Tim Smith - Consultant Sun Baltimore) (01/03/90)

In article <152@dsinet> marka@dsinet (Mark Anacker) writes:
>I've been rather partial to 3Com systems for years, but the things I've been
>forced to put up with lately may make me change my mind.  To wit:  we have
>a number of 3Com/Bridge CS1 async. servers running their TCP 3.0 software.
>We discovered that if a user changes their network password, it causes the
>comm. server to reboot.  This is not acceptable.  Repeated calls to 3Com
>have left the definite impression that they are in no hurry to fix the
>problem.  Anybody want to recommend a different terminal server (with GOOD
>TCP support)?

In a previous life before I worked for Sun, I had some experience with
the cisco ASM terminal servers and really liked them (as a matter of
fact I really liked the cisco AGS routers also).

The ASM did everything I wanted it to and did it well and also had
cisco's great customer service to support it.  cisco's TCP support,
security features, configuration options, and hardware are all, in my
humble opinion, great.

If you are worried about customer service cisco is the way to go.  Any
time I had a problem (I think twice over a year and a half) I had new
roms Fed Exed to me the next day.  If that is not fast enough, they
will often arrange things so you can FTP a new boot load and use that
until you can install new roms.  cisco also has a 24 hour, seven day a
week tech support line.  They even let you talk to the engineers if
that is what it takes to get your problem fixed.

Warning:  cisco boxes are not cheap but then again you get what you pay
for.

Here is the contact info on cisco:

cisco Systems, Inc.
1360 WIllow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
1-800-553-NETS (6387) for sales info

hope this helps,
--tim smith

Standard Disclaimer:  I am speaking for me not for my employers.

Note:  I am just a satisfied customer, I have no financial
interest in cisco blah blah blah.

wasc@cgch.UUCP (Armin Schweizer) (01/05/90)

In our company we are running about a dozen 3com bridges (cs1) and about
a dozen cisco boxes (term servers, routers). while the ciscos are
very stable, the bridges experience many crashes (about one per
one or two weeks in the whole population). currently we discuss
a hardware upgrade with the local supplier which shall solve
all problems..... very expensive.....

colleagues of other companies were also using wellfleet routers
with good experience. I think this could be also a source for
good (functionality and reliability) terminal servers like
cisco is.

kind regards
armin

       Armin R. Schweizer, CIBA-GEIGY AG, R1045.P.06, WRZ
                  4002 Basel / Switzerland
	          phone: -41-61-697'79'46