[comp.dcom.lans] In Novell 2.15, How do I Set the Default Server?

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (01/04/90)

On my Network, we have multiple servers.  When a client is at "F:\login"
it always defaults to one particular server.  After looking through the
docs and calling a couple of vendors, we have received no answers, but
I thought I would try here for help.  Is there a way to set the default
server so that users can preselect which server they default to?

Thanks,

Tom Dixon
AT&T Paradyne
dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
uunet!pdn!dixon

danderer@sun.acs.udel.edu (Dave Anderer) (01/04/90)

When a Novell workstation boots, it broadcasts looking for servers.  It
attaches to the first server to reply.  The problems in this scheme are
obvious, especially given that Novell name domains are server-specific.

The best workaround we've come up with here is to specify the server
explicitly as part of the login (LOGIN.EXE) execution.  For example,
to make sure I login on server athena, I do a:

		login athena/dave

Of course, there are ways to hide this so it looks invisible to the
user.  Off the top of my head, you might rename LOGIN.EXE to something
like STDLOGIN.EXE, and then create a batch file called LOGIN.BAT:

	@echo off
	stdlogin athena/%1

Not elegant, but something like that should work.

It doesn't really matter which server you get the SYS:\LOGIN directory
mapped from.  They should all be the same.
--
Dave Anderer
Academic Computing and Instructional Technology/Research and Development

wilson@ccop1.ocpt.ccur.com (<wilson>) (01/05/90)

In article <6895@pdn.paradyne.com>, dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:
> On my Network, we have multiple servers.  When a client is at "F:\login"
> it always defaults to one particular server.  After looking through the
> docs and calling a couple of vendors, we have received no answers, but
> I thought I would try here for help.  Is there a way to set the default
> server so that users can preselect which server they default to?

With multiple servers on one NetWare LAN, we've found that the "default"
a user sees is the least busy one at the time.  The simple way to get
the right one is to have them login with login fs1/username, etc.

A simple DOS batch file on their machine to load IPX, Net3 and type
this line for them solves the problem for non-technical users.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Gary Wilson

backman@interlan.UUCP (Larry Backman) (01/05/90)

>> On my Network, we have multiple servers.  When a client is at "F:\login"
>> it always defaults to one particular server.  After looking through the
>> docs and calling a couple of vendors, we have received no answers, but
>> I thought I would try here for help.  Is there a way to set the default
>> server so that users can preselect which server they default to?
>>

>With multiple servers on one NetWare LAN, we've found that the "default"
>a user sees is the least busy one at the time.  The simple way to get
>the right one is to have them login with login fs1/username, etc.

The solution is correct; the analysis is wrong.  A workstation broadcasts
a Netware Core protocol "GET_NEAREST_SERVER" packet when the NET3 shell
is loaded.  All servers that see that broadcast and are on the same
logical Netware network respond; the workstation takes the first
response that it sees (i.e. the fastest serrver).
  login server\user
is the correct solution.

						Larry Backman
						Interlan