[comp.dcom.lans] IBM 16mpbs token ring/Novell/386 Expanded memory emulation?

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (01/05/90)

I'm having a problem getting both IBM's DOS expanded memory emulator and
the QEMM-386 emulator working on my IBM PS/2 55SX with the following
configuration.

	IBM 16mpbs token ring card
	Novell Advance Netware
	DOS 4.0

After going thru all kinds of hoops and rings to even get it to run I ended
up with 420K of base RAM after loading the token ring drivers and the
expanded memory emulation.  Has anyone been able to get a decent amount of
base RAM (say 512K) available after loading the various drivers and things?
...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/05/90)

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

>I'm having a problem getting both IBM's DOS expanded memory emulator and
>the QEMM-386 emulator working on my IBM PS/2 55SX with the following
>configuration.

>	IBM 16mpbs token ring card
>	Novell Advance Netware
>	DOS 4.0

>After going thru all kinds of hoops and rings to even get it to run I ended
>up with 420K of base RAM after loading the token ring drivers and the
>expanded memory emulation.  Has anyone been able to get a decent amount of
>base RAM (say 512K) available after loading the various drivers and things?

What version of QEMM are you using?  MANIFEST and QEMM-386 v.5.0 has a
good chance of giving you more RAM than before; I presume you're using a
whole VGA card so you can't reclaim 64K or 90K.  But you should be able
to get 64-128K "up above" the 640K range.  How big's the driver for this
new card?  (drivers?)

In the case of the 4mbps cared, you can reclaim all but about 4K of the
boot PROM after startup--the guys at Quarterdeck have an app. note on
it.

	Alex

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/07/90)

In article <6034@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
$	IBM 16mpbs token ring card
$	Novell Advance Netware
$	DOS 4.0
$After going thru all kinds of hoops and rings to even get it to run I ended
$up with 420K of base RAM after loading the token ring drivers and the
$expanded memory emulation.  Has anyone been able to get a decent amount of
$base RAM (say 512K) available after loading the various drivers and things?

   The LAN I worked on this past summer was an IBM 4mbps TR using Novell
SFT Netware 2.15.  The programs required by the network ate up about
64K; DOS also takes up a fair bit of memory, but you should still have a
good bit more than 420K left (certainly 512K shouldn't be unreasonable).

   Todd, if you write back to me I'll try to help you out ... do you have
any programs that will show you how much memory each program uses?
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";