[comp.dcom.lans] Netware v2.15 open file handles

lisa@ctr.columbia.edu (Lisa Young) (12/22/89)

We are running Netware SFT V2.15 on a LAN with 20 workstations.  One
of the programs we are running has a problem with exceeding a file
limit on a workstation that opens files on it's hard drive.
Apparently we are trying to open more files than we have handles
available for them.  I heard that changing the config.sys in DOS does
not change the file handle limit and that you much also change the
FILE HANDLES variable in the shell.cfg when you run novell's shell.
What I need to know is,exactly what does changing the FILE HANDLES
varaible in the shell.cfg do, does that mean how many network dirve
files you can have open ? does it effect the local dirve? Does the
config.sys files variable no longer have an effect on my program? If
we set the files in the config.sys to 2 and the FILE HANDLES in
chell.cfg to 100 which one is used? Can anyone explain the difference
between the two settings? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lisa

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (12/29/89)

Lisa,
	As you know, the normal DOS limit on FILES= is 20, but that can be
enlarged by a program under DOS 3.3 and later. The Novell value is for its
Redirector. If the applications program of interest wants soooo many files
open at one time then go back and redesign it: remember the file position
in a current file, close the file, do other work, reopen and seek to the
old position. Tidy. Also, the FILES= question is much more readily answered
by a few quick local tests.
	Joe D.

jfb@naucse.UUCP (Jamie Bradford) (01/09/90)

In article <1989Dec21.190918.10884@ctr.columbia.edu>, lisa@ctr.columbia.edu (Lisa Young) writes:
> Apparently we are trying to open more files than we have handles
> available for them.  I heard that changing the config.sys in DOS does
> not change the file handle limit and that you much also change the
> FILE HANDLES variable in the shell.cfg when you run novell's shell.
> What I need to know is,exactly what does changing the FILE HANDLES
> varaible in the shell.cfg do, does that mean how many network dirve
> files you can have open ? does it effect the local dirve? Does the
> config.sys files variable no longer have an effect on my program? If
> we set the files in the config.sys to 2 and the FILE HANDLES in
> chell.cfg to 100 which one is used? Can anyone explain the difference
> between the two settings? Thanks for any help you can provide.

The number of file handles in your CONFIG.SYS file is related to how many
files the DOS shell (COMMAND.COM) can have open at one time.  The FILE
HANDLES variable in the SHELL.CFG file controls how many files the Netware
shell (NETx.COM) can have open at one time.  This means, in essence, that,
in your example above, you have 102 file handles.  Of those, 2 are allocated
to the DOS shell and 100 are allocated to the Netware shell.

You need to assign the file handles based upon the type of application that
needs them.  That is, if the application is a local application, you would
assign the file handles in the CONFIG.SYS file.  If it is a networked
application, you would assign the files handles in the SHELL.CFG file.

My understanding is that the above is correct, and it seems to work for me,
but you might experiment with it before you accept any of it as hard fact.

Jamie Bradford
{....!arizona!naucse!jfb}