[comp.dcom.lans] Remote access to Ethernet Novell Clients from Unix

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (01/09/90)

Greetings,

Is there any software available that will allow me remotely access
pc's plugged into my ethernet running novell from my Unix host?

Also, is there a public domain remote access program available for
ethernetted pcs?  This could be worked into what I want to do, if
I had the source....

Tom Dixon
AT&T Paradyne
dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
uunet!pdn!dixon

mw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Wohlgemuth) (01/10/90)

In article <6918@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:
>Is there any software available that will allow me remotely access
>pc's plugged into my ethernet running novell from my Unix host?

I believe Novell sells a TCP gateway that will allow 1 host on the TCP side
to access the Netware at a given time.

Mike

jqj@rt-jqj.stanford.edu (JQ Johnson) (01/11/90)

In article <21698@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mw@beach.cis.ufl.edu ()
writes:
>I believe Novell sells a TCP gateway that will allow 1 host on the TCP side
>to access the Netware at a given time.
Dunno about such a Novell product, but Interlan sells a gateway that
plugs into a Novell file server or IPX router (aka "bridge") and gives
TCP/IP users access to *that server's* file system via FTP.  Not necessarily
what you want, since the user interface (FTP) isn't great, and since it
doesn't generalize well to a multiple-Novell-server environment.  Some
alternatives:

1/ a SUN 386i (possibly with 2 Ethernet interfaces?) can talk both
TCP/IP and Netware/IPX simultaneously.  This hardware platform would
give you a number of options for building gateway functionality.  For
example (I haven't tried it), you might be able to simply import a
Novell filesystem and re-export it as an NFS filesystem).  The
advantage of this approach is that you have a Unix platform on which to
build complex gateway functionality.

2/ Given a PC running DOS, you could probably set your machine up as a
Novell workstation, importing some number of Novell disks, then use the
publicly available SOS (Stan's Own Server) NFS server code for the PC
to re-export them as NFS filesystem.  Such a scheme would, of course,
not do any authentication translation:  access to the Novell files
would be governed by whatever user ID the PC was logged in as.

3/ Perhaps the simplest scheme:  take a PC running DOS and a Netware
shell, and run the public domain NCSA Telnet FTP server on it as well.
This has the same user-interface disadvantages as the Interlan gateway,
plus does no authentication translation.  But it's cheap; you can build
a gateway for $700.  Since you get source code for NCSA Telnet, you
might be able to hack the FTP server to do a Novell login/logout for
you based on the FTP user and password lines.  You could do the same
thing with any of the commercial TCP/IP packages for the PC, of course,
modulo the cost of a binary or source license.
JQ Johnson                              voice: 415-723-3078
Manager, Special Projects               Internet: jqj@jessica.stanford.edu
Networking and Communications Systems
Pine Hall Rm 125-A
Stanford University