[comp.dcom.lans] Read without Copy

pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (01/09/90)

We are using Novell on a network of 30 IBM PS/2s and have two servers.
I know this question might stem from problems with DOS but anyway...
   IS there a way to allow a user to execute a program without being
   able to copy it?
We have  software binaries (C compiler, windows sdk, dbase4 ...) for
educational use but do not want the students to be able to copy the binaries.

Am I missing something?

/*------------Thanks in advance...---------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies   INET  pcb@gator.cacs.sl.edu     |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana                                   |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                318-231-6768                        |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

scotth@grebyn.com (Scott Hutchinson) (01/09/90)

In article <852@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>We are using Novell on a network of 30 IBM PS/2s and have two servers.
>I know this question might stem from problems with DOS but anyway...
>   IS there a way to allow a user to execute a program without being
>   able to copy it?
>We have  software binaries (C compiler, windows sdk, dbase4 ...) for
>educational use but do not want the students to be able to copy the binaries.

	Unfortunatly not, at least under Netware 2.X.  Perhaps under
Netware 386's new protections, the problem I believe stems from DOS as
you suspect.  Out of curiosity, why worry about it?  most of these
programs are not copy protected in the first place, so even if you did a
checkout system, people would be able to copy them.  Really it doesn't
seem like it is really the University's problem to enforce the copy
protection anyway.

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu (01/10/90)

> We are using Novell on a network of 30 IBM PS/2s and have two servers.
> I know this question might stem from problems with DOS but anyway...
>    IS there a way to allow a user to execute a program without being
>    able to copy it?
> We have  software binaries (C compiler, windows sdk, dbase4 ...) for
> educational use but do not want the students to be able to copy the binaries.
>
> Am I missing something?

Peter,

I am under the impression that you can make a file "Execute Only" by
using the FILER program.  This can set a flag that will allow a program
to be run but not copied.  The only way to un "Execute Only" a program
is to have the supervisor copy a copy of the program over the original
program that was "Execute Only"ed.  You probably only want to do this to the
main program of the product, and not overlays or support programs.

Keith DeLong
Delta College
University Center, MI 48710

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (01/10/90)

Since Netware 2.0 (and maybe earlier) you can set the Execute Only
attribute on any *.exe or *.com file.  This attribute cannot be reset!
An Execute Only file may be deleted only by the Supervisor!  Do not do
this to programs that have overlays, they will not work!

I keep another copy of the program in a secure directory, so I can
modify the program and also have a copy on my backup disks.

Tim.
--
Tim Lange.

Purdue U. Computing Center/ENAD Bldg./W. Lafayette, IN  47907/317-494-1787
Arpanet & Bitnet=tim@j.cc.purdue.edu        CIS=75410,525

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (01/10/90)

Since Netware 2.0 (and maybe earlier) you can set the Execute Only
attribute on any *.exe or *.com file.  This attribute cannot be reset!
An Execute Only file may be deleted only by the Supervisor!  Do not do
this to programs that have overlays, they will not work!

I keep another copy of the program in a secure directory, so I can
modify the program and also have a copy on my backup disks.

Use the FILER program to set such attributes.

--

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (01/10/90)

In article <852@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
-We are using Novell on a network of 30 IBM PS/2s and have two servers.
-I know this question might stem from problems with DOS but anyway...
-   IS there a way to allow a user to execute a program without being
-   able to copy it?

No.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@redsox.bsw.com                 120 Fulton Street

wvanbeek@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (William W. Van Beek) (01/10/90)

A previous poster stated something along the line ...why worry about
copying of software?  Unfortunately, this is a concept held by many
users.  Academic instituions have obtained preferential pricing for
a large selection of software based on the concept of education.  One
thing that we must do is to protect the intellectual property rights
of the owners of the software that we are using.  At least that our
view in my our shop.

bill van beek, assistant director
krannert computer center
krannert school of management
purdue university

mw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Wohlgemuth) (01/10/90)

In article <14126@grebyn.com> scotth@grebyn.UUCP (Scott Hutchinson) writes:
>In article <852@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>   IS there a way to allow a user to execute a program without being
>>   able to copy it?
>
>	Unfortunatly not, at least under Netware 2.X.

This is wrong!

There is an execute only flag in Netware 2.1X.  It can be set from the filer
utility.  Be absolutely certain that you want to flag it that way before you
do so, however, because the flag is permanent and the only way to remove it is
to delete the file.

Mike

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (01/10/90)

Yes!  You can make a *.com or *.exe executable but not copyable.  Use
the FILER program from Novell and set the file attribute to Execute
Only.

--

waugh@dg-rtp.dg.com (Matthew Waugh) (01/11/90)

In article <14126@grebyn.com> scotth@grebyn.UUCP (Scott Hutchinson) writes:
>In article <852@gator.usl.edu> pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>educational use but do not want the students to be able to copy the binaries.
>
>checkout system, people would be able to copy them.  Really it doesn't
>seem like it is really the University's problem to enforce the copy
>protection anyway.

In the event that anybody is fooled by the above statement note of course
that it is EXACTLY the University's (as the original purchaser of the
software I assume, unless it's already bootleg, in which case it's
moot) problem to prevent unauthorised copies of the software.

Next time you buy a piece of software, take a little time to actually read
the software license, and that little seal you have to break into to
actually get at the disks.

Mat

Matthew Waugh			waugh@dg-rtp.dg.com
RTP Network Services 		{world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!waugh
Data General Corp.
RTP, NC. (919)-248-6344

com217v@monu1.cc.monash.oz (Mr. S Dart) (01/12/90)

In article <852@gator.usl.edu>, pcb@gator.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>    IS there a way to allow a user to execute a program without being
>    able to copy it?
> We have  software binaries (C compiler, windows sdk, dbase4 ...) for
> educational use but do not want the students to be able to copy the binaries.

The use of the NOVELL specific file attribute EXECUTE ONLY is just one tool
available to you to protect software from unlicenced distribution.

Others are :-
	1. Captive login scripts.
	2. Licence specific usercodes (without passwords or mail write privs)
	3. Re assignment of COMSPEC environment variable
	4. File flags in combination with directories without user mod privs.

There are probably quite a few more. It seems that every time someone asks
me to install some new piece of software, I find that there is yet another
commercial developer who believes that LANS are not important. (eg:- They
require arround 550k just to load, and want to write onto the directory
that they were loaded from).

Some traps are :-
	1. .EXE files that contain overlays. To load the overlay you must
	be able to read the file. EXECUTE ONLY will cause it to die at the
	first overlay load time. (Actually COMMAND.COM fits this group)
	2. Software that check for the presence of particular files by
	opening them. Some even open them read/write, or at least try to.
	(Don't trust any software that does this, you will be vunerable to
	trojan horses).

Just remember, DOS isn't perfect and there is more than one way to
"skin a cat". Good luck.

Stephen Dart, Monash University Computer Centre, Clayton, AUSTRALIA.