[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet address assignment

genly@mfci.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) (01/10/90)

Does anyone know who to contact to have a block of ethernet addresses
assigned to a company?  Does it cost anything?

drich@.UUCP (Dan Rich) (01/11/90)

To get a "real" Internet address, just send mail to
hostmaster@NIC.DDN.MIL asking for information.  They will send you a
form to fill out, and when you return it to them they will assign you
a registered Internet number.  I just went through this a couple of
months ago, and it is rather easy.  The hard part comes when you try
to change the numbers on an existing network (like I had to do).

--
Dan Rich                    | ARPA: drich%dialogic@uunet.uu.net
UNIX Systems Administrator  | UUCP: uunet!dialogic!drich

srg@quick.COM (Spencer Garrett) (01/11/90)

You get Ethernet Address blocks from

	IEEE Standards Office
	445 Hoes Lane
	P.O. Box 1331
	Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331

	+1 201 562 3800

A block (of 2^24 addresses) costs $1000.00 and takes about
10 days to get.  There's a short form you have to fill out,
so call them and have them send you one.

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (01/11/90)

In article <1180@m3.mfci.UUCP> genly@mfci.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes:
>Does anyone know who to contact to have a block of ethernet addresses
>assigned to a company?  Does it cost anything?

This was the address to write to last year:

-  Mr. Vincent Condello          Telephone: (212) 705-7960
-  IEEE Standards Office                    (212) 705-7092
-  345 E. 47th Street
-  New York, NY 10017
-
-I phoned, and was given the phone number (201) 562-3812, so I guess
-the offices have moved lately. I left my name and number. Lo and behold,
-the next day I got a call from the office, they had looked up our
-company name (Mitel), found it, and had the information sitting in front
-of them. A quick note on my companys letterhead was all that I needed
-to get a copy of this information.
-
(from an old message I posted last year). I don't know about charges,
though, as I was just finding out information that had been lost well
before my time.

Good luck;

John Stewart.

brooks@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (01/12/90)

Ours was obtained by email'ing to HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA

or you could write them at:

DDN Network Information Center
SRI International
Room EJ217
333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA  94025

There wasn't any charge for our numbers.

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (01/13/90)

> To get a "real" Internet address, just send mail to
> hostmaster@NIC.DDN.MIL asking for information.  They will send you a
> ----------

There is a confusion here between Internet addresses and Ethernet
addresses.  An Ethernet address is an address for the Media Access
Control (MAC) sublayer of the data link layer.  Originally, when
Ethernet was developed, Xerox distributed address blocks together
with licenses to the Xerox Ethernet patents.

All 802 protocols now share a common 48 bit MAC address space.
IEEE has assumed responsibility from Xerox for administering address
distribution.  If you are operating over a LAN, your node is
probably using a global address which was built in when it was
manufactured.  (It could also be using a 48 bit address out of
the local part of the address space or a 16 bit address.)  The
node uses the MAC address to determine which packets on the LAN
are for it and MAC bridges use it to route packets.

The Internet address has nothing to do with the MAC (aka Ethernet)
address.

Pat Thaler