[comp.dcom.lans] Call for discussion: comp.sys.cisco

tli%phakt.usc.edu@usc.edu (Tony Li) (01/11/90)

This is a call for discussion about the creation of comp.sys.cisco, a
newsgroup for discussion about products from cisco systems.

cisco is a leading manufacturer of multiprotocol brouters, gateways
and terminal servers.  cisco products are used in many educational and
commercial organizations, including several regional networks.

which is seeing a good bit of activity.  Due to the success and
popularity of cisco's products, this is likely to increase.

I propose that comp.sys.cisco be created to handle this traffic.  I
suggest that it be an unmoderated group.

Per USEnet guidelines, discussion will be open for between two weeks
and one month. All articles should be posted to news.groups.
Tony Li - USC Computer Science Department
Internet: tli@usc.edu Uucp: usc!tli
Thus spake the master programmer: "A well written program is its own
heaven; a poorly-written program its own hell."

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) (01/14/90)

In article <3165@zehntel.UUCP> deb@zehntel.UUCP (Deborah Heller) writes:
>In article <7344@chaph.usc.edu> tli%phakt.usc.edu@usc.edu () writes:
>>
>>This is a call for discussion about the creation of comp.sys.cisco, a
>>newsgroup for discussion about products from cisco systems.
>>
>   A news group to discuss brouters, repeaters, protocol converters, etc.
>   would be a good idea.  However, I object to the idea that we start a
>   news group by concentrating on only one vendor's products.  Instead,
>   the group could be used as a place to discuss this class of products
>   from any vendor.  If the slant happens to wander towards cisco, so be
>   it...
>
>   There are an awful lot of network products out there that should not
>   be ignored in news group of such timely significance.  For example,
>   Vitalink and 3COM products come to mind immediately.

Deb,

So you suggest something like comp.dcom.brouters ?

I like it.  It would give is one place to discuss all aspects of LAN
interconnectivity.  That might kill alot more then just one mailing list.

I really like it.

More ideas?

Tom Dixon
AT&T Paradyne, Largo, Fl