[comp.dcom.lans] Access to Vines 386 Unix

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (01/16/90)

I have a client who has been loaned a complete PC Lan using a 386 running
Vines 386 as server.  I discovered much to my dismay that although the
server is running Unix there appears to be no way to access it.  In
particular:
	1. Can't plug in Modem and login remote or do uucp;
	2. Can't configure Asynch service and login;
	3. Can't add terminals;
	4. Can't rlogin from another machine.

Bummer!

This is of much surprise to me after using a Convergent 640 running Vines
along with everything else.  We have near complete freedom to integrate.

In the devout belief that ignorance can be cured but stupid is forever,
somebody please tell me I'm an idiot and more specifically how to do the
above...

thanks in advance,

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
4737 Habersham Ridge
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

PS: in contrast to other postings, feel free to Post a reply.  I actually do
read this newsgroup.   (use email only to tell me i'm *really* stupid)

hania@utrcu1.UUCP (Simon Hania) (01/16/90)

In article <127@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>I have a client who has been loaned a complete PC Lan using a 386 running
>Vines 386 as server.  I discovered much to my dismay that although the
>server is running Unix there appears to be no way to access it.

Well, it's quite simple: you have to buy it separately! But even then, I
believe you don't have full access.

SHARKEY@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Scott Sharkey) (01/16/90)

Unfortunately, the standard VINES distribution is much more limited than
Convergent's implementation with regard to UNIX access.  You can get access
to the UNIX side of the VINES server by purchasing the "VINES APPLICATIONS
DEVELOPMENT TOOLKIT" for $1495, but even this has limits.  It only allows you
to login under the username local (NOT root), and you cannot add device drivers
or do other root-like things.  Sorry.  -Scott