[comp.dcom.lans] What's the best/cheapest PC ethernet card?

romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Goebel) (01/12/90)

   I'm on the verge of needing to purchase approximately 50 PC
ethernet cards + software.  The cards should have a standard thinnet
(baseband coaxial) interface.

   I'd greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who knows current prices
from various vendors.  Alternatively, has there been a review of these
things in a recent PC rag?

   Thanks for your effort!

patrick goebel -- romeo@lindy.stanford.edu
CASBS

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/12/90)

I distinctly remember seeing recently a magazine article concerning
Artisoft, who makes LANtastic, and has come out with a very inexpensive
Ethernet card.  The card is aimed at providing an upgrade path from the
2 Mbps LANtastic hardware to the 10 Mbps of Ehternet, while retaining the
very lean LANtastic Redirector and Server software that has been its strong
point.  A frantic search around doesn't turn up the article...

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (01/19/90)

->I distinctly remember seeing recently a magazine article concerning
->Artisoft, who makes LANtastic, and has come out with a very inexpensive
->Ethernet card.  The card is aimed at providing an upgrade path from the
->2 Mbps LANtastic hardware to the 10 Mbps of Ehternet, while retaining the
->very lean LANtastic Redirector and Server software that has been its strong
->point.  A frantic search around doesn't turn up the article...
->

I happened to notice a network board in the local Egghead boutique and wrote
down the address:
	Artisoft Inc
	Artisoft Plaza
	575 East River Road
	Tucson, AR 85704

happy landings,

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd
4737 Habersham Ridge
Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247
uunet!emory!jdyx!mnopltd!neal Or uunet!gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal

harper@convex.com (David Harper) (01/31/90)

The cheapest ethernet card I have seen is the Suntek 8 bit card which is sold
by Soft Warehouse for $135.  I have never used it.  I have, however, used the
Suntek 8 bit Arcnet card and am quite happy with it.  It is also available
through Soft Warehouse and costs $75.  There are several Soft Warehouse stores
around the country plus they do a lot of mail order business.  Their National
Accounts number is 800-451-7638.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

concen@yvax.byu.edu (02/02/90)

There is an outfit located in Novells back yard called Computer Recyclers that
was selling Novell NE1000 Ethernet cards for $97 ($830 for pack of ten).
There phone is 801-226-1892.  These folks also have other deals on LAN hardware
such as file servers, disks, etc.

Mark Ungerman
BYU Computer Consultation Center

cahill@dit.ie (02/02/90)

In article <730.25c11533@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, mwolford@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

	In ireland Western Digital and D-Link (Datex Systems) retail
	for around $300 ex VAT.

	The PC Year Book lists many more but mostly without prices.

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (02/02/90)

In article <5017@convex.convex.com>, harper@convex.com (David Harper) writes:
> The cheapest ethernet card I have seen is the Suntek 8 bit card which is sold
> by Soft Warehouse for $135.  I have never used it.  I have, however, used the
> Suntek 8 bit Arcnet card and am quite happy with it.  It is also available
> through Soft Warehouse and costs $75.  There are several Soft Warehouse stores
> around the country plus they do a lot of mail order business.  Their National
> Accounts number is 800-451-7638.

Along the same lines, could anyone recommend a good source for Thin Ethernet
materials and connectors?  We've done our homework, and decided on the
topology.  Now all we need is the thin ether cable and connectors, and an
adapter for a thin/thick cable connection.  Any info appreciated...

Eric, tinkerer-at-large
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/04/90)

>In article <130@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>> ->I distinctly remember seeing recently a magazine article concerning
>> ->Artisoft, who makes LANtastic, and has come out with a very inexpensive
>> ->Ethernet card.  The card is aimed at providing an upgrade path from the

I had exactly the same frustration, and discovered that the article was
not in a magazine, but rather on a 3x5 card that came in the mail from Byte!

>Probably not the article refered to, but there is a new product announcement
>in the February issue of Byte magazine Re: Artisoft ethernet cards (p.84).

The article in Byte is essentially identical to the above mentioned card.

The price of Ethernet seems to be coming down finally to the point where
it is attractive.