[comp.dcom.lans] tcp/ip for 386 UNIX

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (02/01/90)

In article <5645@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> wingo@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dave Wingo) writes:
> I am looking for a 386 UNIX tcp/ip package and ethernet board combination.

All of the usual 386 Unix vendors ship a tcp/ip package based on Lachman's
port of BSD TCP/IP.  It works as well as any TCP does.  There is NFS on top
of it which Interactive is shipping now and SCO will sometime in the near
future.  There is a little flakiness, e.g. csh filename globbing doesn't
work on remote NFS directories that aren't on System V disks (such as
directories on Suns) but nothing that keeps me from getting my work done.
The TCP/IP interoperates well with other implementations and there are many
386 Unix boxes on the Internet.

As far as the board goes, I'd use the WD8003E which is cheap, reliable, and
has enough buffers to be fast.  Smart Ethernet cards do not improve
performance because the processor on the card tends to be a lot slower than
the 386 that it is attempting to offload.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (02/02/90)

In article <1990Feb1.052144.27172@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>All of the usual 386 Unix vendors ship a tcp/ip package based on Lachman's
>port of BSD TCP/IP.  It works as well as any TCP does.  There is NFS on top
>of it which Interactive is shipping now and SCO will sometime in the near

Not really a true statement.  ISC's TCP/IP is not based on Lachman's in the
386/ix product.  It is based on a port ISC did long before Lachman and ISC
became the same company.

AT&T's TCP/IP is based on the Wollongong port and not the Lachman port.
A number of 386 UNIX vendors are selling this version.

A number of vendors are also using an independent port done by Spider Systems
and a few with the TCP/IP port by Streamlined.

While the Lachman based TCP/IP is probably the most widely distributed, it
isn't the only one.  A major portion of the 386 versions are one of the others.

The NFS implementations probably all come from the LAI base.

markb@unix386.Convergent.COM (Mark Beyer) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb2.154728.17877@ico.isc.com>, dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) writes:
> In article <1990Feb1.052144.27172@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
> AT&T's TCP/IP is based on the Wollongong port and not the Lachman port.

In which release ?  SVR4 is definitely the Convergent/Lachmann port.

Mark Beyer
markb@convergent.com
{pyramid,pacbell,sri-unix}!ctnews!markb

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (02/07/90)

In article <825@unix386.Convergent.COM> markb@unix386.Convergent.COM (Mark Beyer) writes:

   In article <1990Feb2.154728.17877@ico.isc.com>, dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) writes:
   > In article <1990Feb1.052144.27172@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
   > AT&T's TCP/IP is based on the Wollongong port and not the Lachman port.

   In which release ?  SVR4 is definitely the Convergent/Lachmann port.

For one, in 3.0.  I have a manual in front of which says: "AT&T
Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/386 Release 3.0" which talks about "Wollongong
Socket Compatibility Library Routines".
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860

hwajin@ganges.wrs.com (Hwa Jin Bae) (02/08/90)

In article <ADNAN.90Feb6170824@sgtech.UUCP> adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
   For one, in 3.0.  I have a manual in front of which says: "AT&T
   Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/386 Release 3.0" which talks about "Wollongong
   Socket Compatibility Library Routines".

The Wollongong stuff is based on the LAI TCP/IP stuff.  I know cause I've
looked at the sources.  The V.4 will have LAI TCP/IP stuff too.  Trust me.

--
Hwa Jin Bae, Wind River Systems, 1351 Ocean Avenue, Emeryville, CA 94606, USA
hwajin@wrs.com (uunet!wrs!hwajin)   "Omnibus ex nihil ducendis sufficit unum."