[comp.dcom.lans] LanSpace - not for Windows

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (02/01/90)

     I have recently begun using a network utility called LANSpace by
Lan Systems Inc. and I thought I would post a few comments in case
others are interested. LanSpace is used on a Novell Netware LAN to
move the NET3.COM user shell into extended memory. This frees up about
30K of conventional memory. It can also move the NETBIOS driver into
extended memory (I don't use netbios though) to free up a total of
about 55K.  It has the added feature of being able unload NETBIOS when
it is not being used.
     The program is very easy to install (just run it in autoexec
instead of net3) and indeed does free up 30K of memory. Whenever it is
run it also checks its version number against a copy on the server,
and updates itself if needed. Overall I would say that LanSpace is a
well implemented utility and would recommend it to other lan managers.
     Now for the down side: I purchased LanSpace because of one
specific Windows application which I needed to run, but required a few
more K of memory than was available. Well it turns out that although
LanSpace does work ok with Windows, it yields no net gain because it
occupies the same first 64K of extended memory that windows wants to
use for HIMEM.SYS .  When you take out HIMEM.SYS, windows use more
memory - the same amount more that LanSpace saves.
     So, if your looking to free up memory for Windows apllications,
unfortunately LanSpace will not help you.

Ted Goldstein
Network and Systems Administrator
Purdue University School of Technology
du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/02/90)

In article <4002@mace.cc.purdue.edu> du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) writes:

|     So, if your looking to free up memory for Windows apllications,
|unfortunately LanSpace will not help you.

Have you looked at RIBS or QRAM? Also I think DCA claims to have
something. I believe these products try to put the driver into expanded
memory (or shadow RAM) mapped into otherwise unused address space
above 640 (and below 1 meg).

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
It's a boy!

vanden@studsys.mu.edu (vandenberg) (02/07/90)

In article <4002@mace.cc.purdue.edu> du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) writes:
>     I have recently begun using a network utility called LANSpace by
>Lan Systems Inc. and I thought I would post a few comments in case
>others are interested. LanSpace is used on a Novell Netware LAN to
>move the NET3.COM user shell into extended memory. This frees up about
>[stuff deleted]
>use for HIMEM.SYS .  When you take out HIMEM.SYS, windows use more
>memory - the same amount more that LanSpace saves.
>     So, if your looking to free up memory for Windows apllications,
>unfortunately LanSpace will not help you.

Although a workaround wasn't requested, here's another way to free up some
of the 640 base.  Qualitas wrote a program that allows a user to put just
about anything in hi-mem.  One especially nice feature is that you can
specify the exact address that you want the program to be loaded.  There
is a version for 386's, '386-to-the-Max', and a version for 286's, 'Move'em'.
We've used the 386 version on HP RS-20's.

Tom Vandenberg                {..uunet..uwvax!uwmcsd1..}!marque!studsys!vanden
vanden%studsys@marque.UUCP             {..uwvax..arpa..}!studsys.mu.edu!vanden

du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb7.070716.21591@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>vanden@studsys.mu.edu (vandenberg) writes:
>
>>In article <4002@mace.cc.purdue.edu> du4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Ted Goldstein) writes:
>>Although a workaround wasn't requested, here's another way to free up some
>>of the 640 base.  Qualitas wrote a program that allows a user to put just
>>We've used the 386 version on HP RS-20's.
>
>I would recommend looking at QEMM from Quarterdeck, too.  It (among
>other things) will reclaim areas of the ROM you're not using (like, most
>of that 64K the ROMs are using up) and give it back to you.
>
>	Alex

I have seen several comments about these other products, but thought
they would work for me for the following reasons:
                     1. I do not have a 386 computer
                     2. I do use EGA and VGA video modes on a regular basis.
                     3. The machines in question are PS/2 50 Z 's which only
                        have 1 M RAM (384K EXTENDED not expanded).
                     4. They have Token Ring cards installed (taking ROM space)

Are my assumptions about these programs not working for me not correct?
If anyone knows of a memory freeing utility that will work on a 286 without
expanded memory, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Thank you in advance for any information you may have.