[net.unix-wizards] How many users on an 11/73?

gamiddleton@thunder.UUCP (Guy Middleton) (06/11/85)

I'd like to find out how many users we can get on an 11/73.  Also,
does anybody know how many users you can run if you're using a non-Unix
operating system (like RSX or RSTS).  Thanks.
--
	Guy Middleton, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ont.
	..{allegra,clyde,decvax,utcsrgv}!watmath!thunder!gamiddleton

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) (06/15/85)

> I'd like to find out how many users we can get on an 11/73.  Also,
> does anybody know how many users you can run if you're using a non-Unix
> operating system (like RSX or RSTS).  Thanks.
> --

If I remember correctly, there is enough room on the back panel for
3 dz's (12 users) but if you homebrew a panel you can add much more.

DEC was supposed to be coming out with their own extender, don't know
if they have yet or not.  the system i used to run on had 3 DH's. (24
users) These 24 users were logged in always, and we had better response
time than an 11/70 with one or two users.  This was running RSTS (ugh!)
with rsx and rt-11.

		Sam

keith@motel6.UUCP (Keith Packard) (06/30/85)

In article <460@wdl1.UUCP> kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) writes:
>> I'd like to find out how many users we can get on an 11/73.  Also,
>> does anybody know how many users you can run if you're using a non-Unix
>> operating system (like RSX or RSTS).  Thanks.
>> --
>
>users) These 24 users were logged in always, and we had better response
>time than an 11/70 with one or two users.  This was running RSTS (ugh!)
>with rsx and rt-11.

I would say that it all depends on your i/o systems.  I have an
11/73 with dlv11 serial interfaces and a 5.25 inch hard disk system
running through a xebec card.  The serial interfaces are
per-char interrupt on input and output.  9600 baud max speed before
the cpu saturates.  The xebec card has 1Mbit transfer rate, compared
to the ST506 5Mbit transfer rate and the SMD 18Mbit transfer rates
on real computers.

I wouldn't think of putting more than 2 users on a system like this.
The 11/73 is a great cpu but the i/o system takes more out of
the computer than the cpu puts back in if you aren't careful.
Oh, this is running 2.9 unix with only 1/2Meg of memory, not that
it ever swaps but...

keith packard
...!tektronix!reed!motel6!keith	($HOME sweet ~)

How many DEC repairmen does it take to install an 11/785 cpu?
-1.  It wrapped around and no-one bothered to check for overflow.

(sorry, I get news from an 11/785 ne 11/780 that has been
yo-yo'ing for 3 weeks...)

daved@physiol.su.oz (A/Prof. David F. Davey) (07/01/85)

We are running an 11/73 with an Eagle as the main mass storage/swap. It has
	3 DLV-11's		= 12
	1 SZV-11		=  8
	1 Emulex CS02		= 16
	1 Quadrasync*		=  4
	1 DL-11E    *		=  1
					* on unibus via Quniverter
30 lines have login processes running on them, though it is rare to have
many more than 12 active users. 6 lines are multiplexed network connections
to other machines. 1Mbyte memory. Version 7. All slow devices on DL's.

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) (07/13/85)

> In article <460@wdl1.UUCP> kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) writes:
> >
> >users) These 24 users were logged in always, and we had better response
> >time than an 11/70 with one or two users.  This was running RSTS (ugh!)
> >with rsx and rt-11.
> >

> I would say that it all depends on your i/o systems.  I have an
> 11/73 with dlv11 serial interfaces and a 5.25 inch hard disk system
> running through a xebec card.  The serial interfaces are
> per-char interrupt on input and output.  9600 baud max speed before
> the cpu saturates.  The xebec card has 1Mbit transfer rate, compared
> to the ST506 5Mbit transfer rate and the SMD 18Mbit transfer rates
> on real computers.
>
> I wouldn't think of putting more than 2 users on a system like this.
> The 11/73 is a great cpu but the i/o system takes more out of
> the computer than the cpu puts back in if you aren't careful.
> Oh, this is running 2.9 unix with only 1/2Meg of memory, not that
> it ever swaps but...

	The first suggestion that I have comes straight from DEC
(ooooh boy, here we go ....)  DONT mix DZ & DH cards, the result is
a VERY brain damaged system that runs slower than my deisel rabbit.

We chose to run the RC-25 drives.  (26M fixed and 26M removable).
These run on the average of 3 - 5 times faster than RL02's.  The
RC-25 drive has both the fixed and removable portions on the same spindle
(UGH!).  We were running DECTAP (manf & dist. package) with all 24
terminals at 19.2Kb.

We were also running 1.5M of memory.

	Maybe we were just lucky........(?)

			Sam Kimery