[comp.dcom.lans] PMX/STARMail

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb7.045404.13659@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Is there any way to give an RFC822 style address to the STARMAIL mailer?
> I'm using a 3B2 server with DOS clients over Starlan and haven't found
> any way to give an address that contains anything but a name in the
> unix machine's passwd file, or a machine name found in the Systems
> file or in the PMX sysmap file to the left of the first "!".  The
> new unix /bin/mail that comes with the PMX products can handle some
> forms of routing but the PMX mailers won't pass anything to it unless
> it looks like a valid uucp address.  Am I missing something?

Well, first of all, you're missing the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance
Center (1-800-MAIL-672, i.e., 800-624-5672, or 201-668-6548, or
attmail!atthelp), a group of dedicated men and women who have devoted
their lives to helping people understand and work with the AT&T Mail
service and the Access and PMX products.  (No, I don't work for the
CAC.-)  They can answer most questions, and forward the really tough
ones to the folks with the source code.  (You're also missing the
correct capitalization of PMX/STARMail.)

You can put a line:
	Pwf-validate=n
in your /usr/lib/pmx/pmx.config (or create the file if it doesn't
exist); that way, the PMX products won't check what appear to be local
user names.  Then you can use Enhanced UNIX(R) Mail (the /bin/rmail
replacement) to re-route domain style addresses.  (This is done more
cleanly in System V Release 4.0 rmail.  I can hardly wait.)  For
details, please contact the CAC.

> Actually, I like the programs or I wouldn't bother to complain about
> this (and nits like keeping a plain-text copy of your unix password
> in a configuration file on the PC or losing your mailbox contents when
> the receiving PC's disk is full ).

I'm glad you like it.  The current release of Access PLUS, version 2.1,
stores an encrypted copy of your AT&T Mail or UNIX system password.  I
think it handles full disks more gracefully, too.  For details on
upgrades, contact the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center.

> Les Mikesell, les@chinet.chi.il.us

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.
Maybe just this once, I am speaking for the company.

In article <4447@pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:

>Well, first of all, you're missing the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance
>Center.

Errr, well, no, in fact I called them and asked how to get non-bang-path
or machine names not in the uucp Systems file past the PMX mailers and
was told it couldn't be done.  Since it was one of those things that
needed to be done yesterday (someone decided to give the board of directors
PC's with ACCESS PLUS to keep at home...) I put a fake machine name in
the Systems files and told everyone to send all mail to that machine so
no one (except me) needs to keep track of where everyone really is.

>You can put a line:
>	Pwf-validate=n
>in your /usr/lib/pmx/pmx.config (or create the file if it doesn't
>exist); that way, the PMX products won't check what appear to be local
>user names.

The customer service people didn't seem to know about that, although they
did tell me about Allow-Pwfname to get the names from the passwd file when
I asked specifically about doing that. (Unfortunately it doesn't know
about the SysV conventions so root comes out as "0000-Admin(000)" etc.).

I asked if they could send some real documentation about these features
and was told something like: "No, we just work from a pile of notes that
the developers give us..."

>You're also missing the
>correct capitalization of PMX/STARMail.

That's because I had Starlan before it was starGROUP (and I used to
run it on 3B1's - or was that in another lifetime?).

Les Mikesell
 les@chinet.chi.il.us