[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet type 80F3 ?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (02/11/90)

Does anyone recognize ethernet type "80F3"? I don't
see it in RFC1010, but I am seeing it on our net.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

lefty@twg.com (David N. Schlesinger) (02/13/90)

In article <4981@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken
Mandelberg) writes:
> Does anyone recognize ethernet type "80F3"? I don't see it in RFC1010,
> but I am seeing it on our net.

Ethernet type 0x80F3 is used by AppleTalk for address resolution.  You
must have Macs on your network which are directly connected to Ethernet.
These packets are used by the Mac (generally at startup) to determine a valid AppleTalk node number.

There are basically three flavors of AARP (AppleTalk Address Resolution
Protocol) packets: request, response and probe.  These can be distinguished by the value in the word at offset 20 in the packet: a value of 1 is a Request, 2 is a Response and 3 is a Probe.

Starting at offset 22, these packets will contain the following: a source
Ethernet address (6 bytes), a source AppleTalk address (4 bytes),  a
destination Ethernet address (in the case of a Response; 0 otherwise) (6
bytes), and an AppleTalk address (4 bytes).  Details of what's actually going
on with these can be found in "Inside AppleTalk", published by
Addison-Wesley.  See chapters 2 and 3 on "AppleTalk Address Resolution
Protocol" and "Ethernet Link Access Protocol" respectively.

Hope this helps.

Lefty

          David N. Schlesinger   || "There's a word for it: words don't
          The Wollongong Group   ||  mean a thing.  There's a name for it;
Internet: Lefty@twg.com          ||  names make all the difference in the
POTS:     415/962-7219           ||  world..." -- David Byrne

tdh@frog.UUCP (T. Dave Hudson) (02/17/90)

> Ethernet type 0x80F3 is used by AppleTalk for address resolution.

According to the Xerox Systems Institute's memo of 1990-1-2, this code
is owned by Kinetics (of Walnut Creek, CA).  I found no reference to
Apple in the memo.  What gives?

				David Hudson