[comp.dcom.lans] TCP Ethernet Throughput

alexr@xicom.uucp (Alex Laney) (02/08/90)

In article <29000@amdcad.AMD.COM> ncpmont@amdcad.UUCP (Mark Montgomery) writes:
>In article <582@berlioz.nsc.com> andrew@dtg.nsc.com (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head       ) writes:
>><2447@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, ward@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Ed Ward 2337) :
>>> I'm looking for some information comparing the Ethernet throughput of the
>>> AMD lance, Seeq 8005, and Intel 82??? controller chips....
>>
>>I'd look at National's NIC too - they practically own the Enet market.
>>--
>>Andrew Palfreyman	andrew@dtg.nsc.com	Albania before April!
>
>Whoa, boy!	I think that the statement "they practically own the Enet
>market" is a bit rash.	Check with IBM, DEC, SUN or 3COM or look inside their
>boxes.  I think you'll find that there are about twice as many AMD LANCE, SIA
>and XCVR chips in them as all those other manufacturers have sockets combined.
>"LOOK AGAIN" to quote the T.I. speak n' spell chip.		Mark

The figure is: about 85% of the Ethernet chipset market is supplied by
Nat. Semi. Surprising but true ... I know for certain that Western Digital
and others use the Nat. Semi chipset. How many chips does DEC use compared
to the IBM PC and compatible market( Novell, etc.)?

It's an independent figure from Dataquest or some organization like that.

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Group, National Semiconductor, Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (alex@xicom.uucp)     Fax: (613) 728-1134

rusti@milk0.itstd.sri.com (Rusti Baker) (02/10/90)

I would be interested in seeing any type of discussion of
the behaviour of the chips mentioned in this thread.

E.G. Clark, Jacobson et al provided this insight into the
behavior of the LANCE in their June 1989 IEEE Comm.  article:

"[the LANCE] locks up the memory bus during the transfer
thus stalling the processor"

ncpmont@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mark Montgomery) (02/10/90)

In article <29914@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com> rusti@milk0.itstd.sri.com.UUCP (Rusti Baker) writes:
>I would be interested in seeing any type of discussion of
>the behaviour of the chips mentioned in this thread.
>E.G. Clark, Jacobson et al provided this insight into the
>behavior of the LANCE in their June 1989 IEEE Comm.  article:
>"[the LANCE] locks up the memory bus during the transfer
>thus stalling the processor"

Yes, and how many times have we seen in this group and protocols people
asking if anybody knew why their 3c5xx board was locking up their
system.
	Well, 3c5xx's don't have LANCE's on them, they have N__ chips.
	Also if you'll re-read the article you'll see that what they
	were saying was that the LANCE was "stalling" the cpu while
	it did dma of the packet directly to memory.  Can't do that
	with an XYZ chip.  Of course you could have the cpu do the
	transfers or you could build a cache if you'd rather.
				Mark

In article <29914@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com> rusti@milk0.itstd.sri.com.UUCP (Rusti Baker) writes:

> E.G. Clark, Jacobson et al provided this insight into the
> behavior of the LANCE in their June 1989 IEEE Comm.  article:
>
> "[the LANCE] locks up the memory bus during the transfer
> thus stalling the processor"

Again, this is not neccessarily an attribute of the Lance chip, but rather
how a particular interface/system implements the Lance DMA/memory interface.
A different interface might implement a (logically) dual ported buffer
memory or other scheme and thus avoid this particular constraint.

Clearly indentifying the thruput constraints for each of the major ethernet
chipsets (let along their common instantiations) would be a major task.  Chip
selection is usually done on the basis of cost, familiarity, ease of interface
and sometimes even avoidance of known problems...

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/13/90)

In article <29914@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com> rusti@milk0.itstd.sri.com.UUCP (Rusti Baker) writes:
|"[the LANCE] locks up the memory bus during the transfer
|thus stalling the processor"

My guess as to what was meant by this is that they are talking about the
LANCE requiring 600 ns to perform a memory cycle. That is, a zero wait
state memory cycle is 600 ns. (I don't know if you can do wait states.
This is based on my experience 6 years ago.) Although this might not
have been considered unusual when the LANCE came out in the early 80's,
10 MHz processors were only a dream at the time) it may seem slow in
an age of 25 MHz processors.

Any DMA device will lock up the memory bus, the question is how long?
The people who wrote your quote probably thought 600 ns was too long.

This is the kind of thing that a new device would probably do better.

I am not an official or unofficial spokesman for the company. This
is only my opinion.

Copyright 1990 by Phil Ngai. You may only distribute with the above
disclaimer.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
When guns are outlawed, only governments will have guns.

rusti@milk0.itstd.sri.com (Rusti Baker) (02/13/90)

Thanks to Mark Montgomery and George Robbins for clarification of the
problem of characterizing the performance of a chip set without considering
the interface/system.

>	Also if you'll re-read the article you'll see that what they
>	were saying was that the LANCE was "stalling" the cpu while
>	it did dma of the packet directly to memory.  Can't do that
>	with an XYZ chip.  Of course you could have the cpu do the
>	transfers or you could build a cache if you'd rather.
>				Mark

I was intrigued by the use of the word "stalling", versus "blocking" etc.
I had interpreted the remark in the article to mean that there was something
else going on (like the DMA had some other side effect).  Since the
authors did not elaborate, I was curious.

nn@lanta.Sun.COM (Neal Nuckolls) (02/14/90)

In article <29138@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <29914@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com> rusti@milk0.itstd.sri.com.UUCP (Rusti Baker) writes:
> |"[the LANCE] locks up the memory bus during the transfer
> |thus stalling the processor"
>
> My guess as to what was meant by this is that they are talking about the
> LANCE requiring 600 ns to perform a memory cycle. That is, a zero wait
> state memory cycle is 600 ns. (I don't know if you can do wait states.
> This is based on my experience 6 years ago.) Although this might not
> have been considered unusual when the LANCE came out in the early 80's,
> 10 MHz processors were only a dream at the time) it may seem slow in
> an age of 25 MHz processors.

Actually, an 8-word LANCE burst requires a full 4.8 us from start
to finish (600 ns/word).  The keyword with ethernet chips is
latency -- not bandwidth.  The bandwidth is easy.  Satisfying
the latency needs for, say, a LANCE, in applications more complex
than your typical PC is difficult.

------
Re: TCP Ethernet Throughput

Memory-to-memory TCP throughput between two SPARCstations 1's in
single user mode over an empty ethernet running SunOS 4.1 using a
32k send/receive window is approximately  1030 Kbytes/s .

Interestingly, the bottleneck in squeezing out the final few
Kbytes/s is the medium itself -- the receiver cannot return window
update (acknowledgment) packets and defers while the transmitter
is sending full 1500 byte ethernet frames back-to-back so the
transmitter runs out of "window" after 32k, then it gets all the
acknowledgments in one flood, short pause, then it transmits the
next 32k.  This type of behavior is a manifestation of CSMA/CD.

neal nuckolls
sun microsystems
nn@sun.com

Andy.Linton@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Andy Linton) (02/20/90)

There have been a number of articles on the problems with the LANCE.

Has anyone any idea if this is used on the MICOM-Interlan boards, NI5010
and NP600A. I'm trying to track down a problem with transfer rates on
machines using these boards. Also there seems to be some debate about
whether the 3-Com boards use the LANCE.

Thanks
andy
--