[comp.dcom.lans] BNC to TP?

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (02/21/90)

 Gary W. Chapman writes:
> To go from a thick-ethernet device to a twisted-pair hub, you use an
> AUI adapter.
>
> Does anyone know if someone makes a device (essentially a balun?) which
> would allow you to go from a BNC connector on a single machine to
> twisted-pair, and from there to a twisted-pair hub?  Actually, I don't
> think this makes any sense; in the case of thick->tp, the transceiver
> is in the hub; in the imaginary case of thin->tp, there's a transceiver
> at the workstation and another at the hub.
>
> Also, I have seen advertised baluns to go from thin to tp to thin (e.g.
> to a multiport repeater).  Any experiences?

You cannot go from a 10BASE-T like transceiver or hub through a balun
to a 10BASE2 or 10BASE5 transceiver (thin or thick).  The signaling
of the twisted-pair transceiver is different from the signaling of
the coax transceivers (if we didn't adapt the signaling, we wouldn't
have been able to get the desired performance).  It would require
an active device (perhaps a mini-repeater) to do the conversion.

Pat Thaler