[comp.dcom.lans] Broadband backbone

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu (02/23/90)

We are looking to connect a group of a dozen or so Netware based servers
through an existing 75 ohm cable (about 270 Mhz Bandwith I think).  We
already run several video channels through it.  The system runs almost
everywhere on our campus.  To rewire would be really expensive.  An
Arcnet or MAP style protocal might work really well in this situation
(first impression.)  We have people with the experience to deal with
RF-modems, but I don't know what kind of Network adaptors (for the
internal bridge in the server) or what style modems would work the best.
What kind of bandwidth would this take up?

Could someone that has done this before please share some of their
experiences?

Thanks
Keith
delong@frith.egr.msu.edu
Delta College

haas@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (02/26/90)

In article <6574@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:

> We are looking to connect a group of a dozen or so Netware based servers
> through an existing 75 ohm cable... Could someone that has done this before
> please share some of their experiences?

We use the Allen-Bradley VistaLan product in some of our Novell file servers
(the servers that aren't attached to Ethernet).  It seems to work pretty well.

-- Walt

sgf@cs.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (02/26/90)

In article <6574@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:

>We are looking to connect a group of a dozen or so Netware based servers
>through an existing 75 ohm cable (about 270 Mhz Bandwith I think).  We
>everywhere on our campus.  To rewire would be really expensive.  An

My own opinion is that broadband is for video - period. Re-wiring might be
a lot less expensive than you think.

If you really want to bridge on broadband you might use PC/IP over PC-NET.
I'm not sure of its status (as a product, project-under-development, etc.),
but I'll find out and post if there's interest (I need to check with the people
at Brown responsible for its care and feeding...)

-sam

In article <30660@brunix.UUCP> sgf@cs.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) writes:
>In article <6574@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>>
>>We are looking to connect a group of a dozen or so Netware based servers
>>through an existing 75 ohm cable (about 270 Mhz Bandwith I think).  We
>>everywhere on our campus.  To rewire would be really expensive.  An
>
>My own opinion is that broadband is for video - period. Re-wiring might be
>a lot less expensive than you think.

Well, as the proprietor of a broadband system that runs both data and video
I am intimately familiar with what it takes to get to a successful system.
In general, a system that works perectly for TV may require *MAJOR*
effort to bring it up to data standards.

I haven't seen much interest in broadband on this group - perhaps anybody
out there who needs help or wants to talk about it could send me mail
instead of clogging up the group?

Cheers  -- Walt Haas     haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (02/27/90)

Sorry for positing this to the net but my reply by e-mail bounced.
Besides, others may be interested.

In article <6574@cps3xx.UUCP> you write:

>We are looking to connect a group of a dozen or so Netware based servers
>through an existing 75 ohm cable (about 270 Mhz Bandwith I think).  We
>already run several video channels through it.  The system runs almost
>everywhere on our campus.  To rewire would be really expensive.  An
>Arcnet or MAP style protocal might work really well in this situation
>(first impression.)  We have people with the experience to deal with
>RF-modems, but I don't know what kind of Network adaptors (for the
>internal bridge in the server) or what style modems would work the best.
>What kind of bandwidth would this take up?
>
>Could someone that has done this before please share some of their
>experiences?
>
>Thanks
>Keith
>delong@frith.egr.msu.edu
>Delta College

At our site, we are running a broadband backbone with a combination of
CCTV, Allen-Braley VistaLAN/1, PC-Net and a TCP/IP 'ethernet on broadband'
channel using Chipcom modems.  The Chipcom set uses a pair of 12-MHz channels
(similar to the other nets) with a 'head-end' remodulator to create a psuedo
loop for the 'ethernet'.  AUI cables from the 14 workstations/minis on the
ethernet simply plug into the Chipcom units (which are available in
1,2,4 or 8-port versions) as if plugging into a MAU.  Once group of
4 systems in the same room all plug into the same 8-port Chipcom and traffic
from one local unit to the next doesn't even go out onto the broadband!

So far, it;s been working for about 8 months without a hitch.

Good luck!
--
Bill Meahan			Starter Motor Engineering
				Ford Motor Electrical & Fuel Handling Div.