[comp.dcom.lans] TCP/IP to ISDN Gatway Box

rmohr@infoac.rmi.de (Rupert Mohr) (03/02/90)

I am trying to find a gateway box that would sit as a node on a tcp-ip
ethernet LAN and pass packets to a ISDN WAN. Has anyone out there had any
experience with such a box? Any suggestions of a possible vendor?

Thanks for the help!

Rupert

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause, NCR Corporate Customer Services) (03/05/90)

In article <835@infoac.rmi.de> rmohr@infoac.rmi.de (Rupert Mohr) writes:
>I am trying to find a gateway box that would sit as a node on a tcp-ip
>ethernet LAN and pass packets to a ISDN WAN. Has anyone out there had any
>experience with such a box? Any suggestions of a possible vendor?
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>Rupert

The NCR TOWER family of systems will indeed connect you directly between
TCP-IP and an ISDN such as X.25:
	TOWER 32/200 w/ OS 1.01.00, WIN-TCP/IP 4.00.01
	TOWER 32/[357]00 w/ OS 1.00.01, WIN-TCP/IP 4.00.01
	TOWER 32/[46][05]0 w/ OS 3.00.01, WIN-TCP/IP 4.00.01
	TOWER 32/8[05]0 w/ OS 2.00.00, WIN-TCP/IP 4.00.01
The base link-level driver (HDLC) and X.25 services (X.25Net) are
also   required.    Additionally,   there   is   an  Host  Packet
Assembler/Disassembler  (HPAD)  product  available   to   provide
library  routines into the X.25 cloud; combined with the TCP/IP<-
>X.25 modules, you can literally run  TCP/IP  over  X.25  between
nodes, whereever they are in the world.  Finally, the is also  an
interface product for direct cloud contact from the TOWER known
as Terminal Packet Assember/Disassembler (TPAD).  It functions
much like a Hardware PAD, except it allows direct cloud access
from your CRT screen.

Hope this helps!
					--sam
|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support  |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953|
|                                vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM  |
|                         ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |
|                ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |

bryan@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Bryan Beecher) (03/05/90)

In article <835@infoac.rmi.de> rmohr@infoac.rmi.de (Rupert Mohr) writes:
>I am trying to find a gateway box that would sit as a node on a tcp-ip
>ethernet LAN and pass packets to a ISDN WAN. Has anyone out there had any
>experience with such a box? Any suggestions of a possible vendor?

I'm part of a project that's doing some work on a ISDN-TCP/IP.  (Most
of the work was done before EDUCOM, but there's still a little bit of
development going on.)  Basically, we have a 80386 PC that has both
an Ethernet card and a Teleos card.  Software written by Dory Leifer
(with a little bit from me) looks like an application to the Teleos board
and a packet driver to either KA9Q or FTP Software programs.  Right now
the code will only drive one BRI.  We're now working on getting it to
drive more than one BRI and to handle a PRI.

If anyone wants some more information, you can mail me or Dory (who
reads mail at dory_leifer@um.cc.umich.edu).  If you send me an address
I can also send out one of the leftover glossies we have from EDUCOM.
--
Bryan Beecher, U-M Information Technology Division  (+1 313 747 4050)
Domain:	bryan@terminator.cc.umich.edu  Path: mailrus!terminator!bryan