[comp.dcom.lans] Netware 2.0a++ performance degradation, how come?

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/18/89)

Can you help me?  We have a 30-40 station Novel Netware LAN running 2.0a++
which has suddenly developed a performance problem.  Response time has
dropped a great deal in the last week.  It was a sudden change.  One day
it was fine, the next day it was slow.  Any ideas at all?
James Everett Ward		f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
I often quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation.
		-- G. B. Shaw

edc@excelan.com (Eric Christensen) (09/20/89)

In article <5620@decvax.dec.com> f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) writes:

>Can you help me?  We have a 30-40 station Novel Netware LAN running 2.0a++
>which has suddenly developed a performance problem.  Response time has
>dropped a great deal in the last week.  It was a sudden change.  One day
>it was fine, the next day it was slow.  Any ideas at all?

A network suddenly taking a performance hit can be caused by a number
of things.I'm going to assume we're talking about an Ethernet network
here, since there's no mention of any specific network architecture.

By far the most common problem is an electrical fault. Misbehaving
trancievers, fanouts, repeaters, and the like cause a lot of collisions
and make the net run slow. Likewise, poor termination or loose
connections are common culprits.

A station who has a broken controller and doesn't sense carrier on the
line will also cause similar problems. Since it always things the lines
clear, it'll just barf out whatever it has to say, often right on top
of someone else's packet!

There are a number of protocol dependent conditions which could cause
your net perfomance to drop off. Since I'm not really an IPX protocol
expert, I'll leave this one to someone who is. But, just for example,
in the TCP/IP world broadcast storms are one of the most common maladys
that we encounter. These are often caused by a station using the wrong
broadcast address, which in turn causes other systesm to ARP it, and
that causes still other systems to answer the ARP queries. This
particular scenario is very common on networks running both BSD4.2 and
BSD4.3. (Why'd they change the broadcast address anyway???)

Anyhow, unfortunatly, the only way to really find out what's going on
with a misbehaving network is to use a network analyzer and a TDR (time
domain reflectometer). While I highly reccommend that both these tools
be part of any network admin's tollkit, they're quite pricey ( $10,000
or so for a network analyzer and a couple grand for a good TDR). There
are some small, hand held network monitors around which can replace the
TDR for a few hunderd bucks, and are easier to use (interpreting a TDR
trace is not a job for the network novice). But there's just no
replacement for a good network analyzer.

Of course, there is the low budget version of debugging the network
without these tools. Start my disconnecting everything except your
fileserver and 1 client. If the performance still sucks then you've
probably got something wrong with either your cable or maybe your
server or client. Probably your cable though.

If the throughput looks ok with just the one server and client, start
adding devices back onto the net one at a time. Do network devices like
fanouts and repeaters first (since they seem to fail more often then
other devices), then start with your systems. Eventually your
perfomance *might* drop back to it's previous dismal level, and you've
got your suspect device.

If you suspect cable problems, try minimizing your cable by unplugging
segments (assuming thin-net), or whatever else you can manage.
Eventually you should be able to isolate the cable that's causing the
problem. Without a TDR, your probably money ahead to call in a cabling
company to track the problem down.

Needless to say, this is horribly time consuming, and I've seen lots of
problems disappear just by cycling power on a fanout, or something else
similarly simple. So you may spend a day thrashing around only to find
that your problem has totally disappeared (probably to return sometime
in the future).

Anyway, now that I've babbled on and on about this, I'll just sum it up
with one statement...

	GET THE RIGHT TOOLS!

It'll save your sanity (and possibly your butt, if you have militant
users).

I guess I should mention at least a couple of sources of network
analyzers and TDRs. Network General, Excelan, and HP all make various
network analyzers which are appropriate for these applications. For
TDRs, Cabletron makes a number of fine units.

The features (and prices) of these units vary greatly, so you'll really
need to do a bit of research and shopping for one that meets your
particular needs and budget. There are plenty of other manufacturers
around too. Please don't take my suggestion above as reccommendations,
they just happen to be the ones that I'm most familiar with, not
nessecarily the best for your application.

| Eric Christensen  -  Sr. System Administrator  -  Excelan, A Novell Company |
| Email: edc@excelan.COM        {ames | apple | mtxinu | leadsv }!excelan!edc |

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (09/21/89)

In article <406@excelan.COM>, edc@excelan.com (Eric Christensen) writes:
> Anyhow, unfortunatly, the only way to really find out what's going on
> with a misbehaving network is to use a network analyzer and a TDR (time
> domain reflectometer). While I highly reccommend that both these tools
> be part of any network admin's tollkit, they're quite pricey ( $10,000
> or so for a network analyzer and a couple grand for a good TDR). There
> are some small, hand held network monitors around which can replace the
> TDR for a few hunderd bucks, and are easier to use (interpreting a TDR
> trace is not a job for the network novice). But there's just no
> replacement for a good network analyzer.
Network monitors are indeed invaluable when something goes wrong, and you
need a way of seeing what is actually happening on the cable.  However,
they aren't all as expensive as Eric implies (the more expensive ones
do indeed provide more functionality, but it may not be what you want).

Long ago people working on PC-IP at MIT needed a monitor, and had PCs
with first-generation network interfaces in them, so they wrote "Netwatch",
which puts the interface in promiscuous mode and displays summary information
about each packet it receives.  This is freeware, and is available in the
PC-IP source distribution (FTP to husc6.harvard.edu, or buy a tape of an
older version from the MIT Microcomputer Office).

The authors of Netwatch helped found FTP, and they had an agenda for
improvements to Netwatch, which resulted in our "LANWatch" product ($1.2K).
We like it well enough that we don't own anything else, but we *are*
somewhat likely to be biased...

Wollongong also offers a derivative of Netwatch, which I've never seen.

The common weakness of all these is that their packet capture and
hardware analysis capabilities are limited, because they use a
standard PC LAN interface instead of specialized hardware.  This was
much more crippling when the 3C500 was pitted against the EXOS225 than
it is now that 3rd generation cards are everywhere, but it can be
important in some situations.  The 10K and up monitors will do their
best to capture everything (there was an article in PC Magazine (I
think) recently comparing the Spider Monitor, the LANAlyzer, the
Sniffer and the HP monitor; they all started out well but their
buffers aren't infinite).  The ones that run on hardware you already
own definitely can't capture everything, and they may not report as
much detail on damaged packets, etc. on the net.

The worst thing about all these monitors is that they aren't too much
use unless you understand something about the protocols you're using;
they don't tell you "4.2bsd host foo.bar.com apparently can't
understand IP options", instead they let you look at the last packet
before it crashed and make you figure it out for yourself.
--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/21/89)

Well, we used the cheap method and isolated various portions of the
network until we found the culprit: a bad card on one of the
workstations.  Performance is back and our thanks to you, people of
the net!

I am going to ftp to the site mentioned and try to get the net monitoring
software today as well!
James Everett Ward		f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
"Somewhere", said Father Vittorini, "did Blake not speak of the
Machineries of Joy?  That is, did not God promote environments, then
intimidate these Natures by provoking the existence of flesh, toy men

rick@lrark.UUCP (Rick Mobley) (09/23/89)

In article <5620@decvax.dec.com>, f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) writes:

> Can you help me?  We have a 30-40 station Novel Netware LAN running 2.0a++
> which has suddenly developed a performance problem.  Response time has
> dropped a great deal in the last week.  It was a sudden change.  One day
> it was fine, the next day it was slow.  Any ideas at all?
> James Everett Ward		f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
> I often quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation.
> 		-- G. B. Shaw

James,
  Without knowing what NIC's you are using, it sounds almost impossible to
tell. I would suggest an analyzer (either PC-based monitor) or something
that would allow you to watch the network. There is also a feature of
Netware that will allow you to monitor traffic. It could be useful to see
if you have a card that is sending broadcast packets out with no useful
information or destination addresses. Performance tests are useful on a
30+ node network. I don't get into Fayetteville often, but could be worth
a trip. (Say hi to Ray Puckett for me!)

73,

--
Ricky L. Mobley, WB5FDP | Mail) ...!uunet!wugate!      |    CIS: 70505,1157
1800 Sanford Drive #4   | Path)     wuarchive!texbell! | PACKET: WB5FDP @ WD5B

edc@excelan.com (Eric Christensen) (03/10/90)

> [...]

that your problem has totally disappeared (probably to return sometime
in the future).

Anyway, now that I've babbled on and on about this, I'll just sum it up
with one statement...

	GET THE RIGHT TOOLS!

It'll save your sanity (and possibly your butt, if you have militant
users).

I guess I should mention at least a couple of sources of network
analyzers and TDRs. Network General, Excelan, and HP all make various
network analyzers which are appropriate for these applications. For
TDRs, Cabletron makes a number of fine units.

The features (and prices) of these units vary greatly, so you'll really
need to do a bit of research and shopping for one that meets your
particular needs and budget. There are plenty of other manufacturers
around too. Please don't take my suggestions above as recommendations,