[comp.dcom.lans] Can You Translate Transport Protocols?

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (03/16/90)

Suppose you have client and server applications on different
networks that are connected but that do not share the same
transport protocols; is there some way (even in theory) that you
could translate one transport protocol into another?  What would
be required to make the translation process invisible to both the
client and server apps?

Thanks,
Will

lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) (03/21/90)

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>Suppose you have client and server applications on different
>networks that are connected but that do not share the same
>transport protocols; is there some way (even in theory) that you
>could translate one transport protocol into another?  What would
>be required to make the translation process invisible to both the
>client and server apps?

What do you mean by "transport protocols"?  Do you mean
ISO standard transport protocols or do you mean all protocols
that are usually considered to be at or near layer 4 of the
OSI ref. model, or do you mean any protocol that somebody
calls a transport protocol?  (I'm not just picking a nit)

There is no general solution to this problem.  It is occasionally
possible to translate one protocol into another, but not often.

The real question is why?

--
Lyle                     sendmail.cf under construction, pardon the From:
lws@comm.wang.com        (or, uunet!comm.wang.com!lws)  (508) 967-2322