[comp.dcom.lans] Network Analyzers

network@zeus.unomaha.edu (03/19/90)

   We are considering spending the money for a full fledged network analyzer.
I've heard good things about the Sniffer, Spider and Hewlett-Packard.
I'd be very interested in the opinions of those people that have used one or
more of these analyzers to see what they think of them.  We are primarily an
Ethernet shop but do have other topologies such as AppleTalk and even some
Token Ring.

   What do you like most, and least about your analyzer?
   How easy is it to use?   How comprehensive is it?
   If you had a chance, what analyzer would you buy today?
   Any other info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Please mail your reply's.  I'll try to post a summary of the responses
that I receive.  If someone has posted this type or request before, then
I would be interested in the responses they got from the net.

Steven Lendt                           Internet: NETWORK@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU
University of Nebraska at Omaha        Bitnet: NETWORK@UNOMA1

randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) (03/21/90)

In article <9443.2604982d@zeus.unomaha.edu>, network@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>    We are considering spending the money for a full fledged network analyzer.
> I've heard good things about the Sniffer, Spider and Hewlett-Packard.

The Sniffer has a demo that runs on 286 & 386 Intel machines.  Call;

	1-800-347-2133 for the Riverview, Michigan office.
	1-415-965-1800 for the Mt. View, Ca. (HQ) office.
	1-800-347-2133 for the Uniondale, New York office.

I honestly don't know which is the right one, but I'm sure they'll point
you in the right direction.  I liked the demo, even though its data
aquisition was faked.  The demo (at least ethernet) will run without
connection to a network.

Six months ago they had seven LAN types and eleven protocol/interpreter
suites.  Yow! Hope this helps.

Apologies, I know nothing of HP's or Spider's offerings.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy@rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

dan_butzer@rugby.cis.ohio-state.edu (03/21/90)

In article <10403@rls.UUCP> randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) writes:
>In article <9443.2604982d@zeus.unomaha.edu>, network@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>>    We are considering spending the money for a full fledged network analyzer.

We just received our HP network Analyzer (I think the model is a 4972A)
We've just begun to play with it but we already like it better than the old
Lanalyzer we used to use.  This is not a fair comparison because I am sure
than Lanalyzer's have improved considerably in the past couple years.
Our HP 16500A logic analyzer just came in too, It is ABSOLUTELY amazing.
Kudos to HP's instrumentation division...

--Dan

-=-
       Dan Butzer          || butzer@cis.ohio-state.edu
IICF/CIS Hardware Support  || voice: 614-292-7350  fax: 614-292-9021
   "Fire in the hole..."   || 2036 Neil Ave, Columbus OH 43210