[comp.dcom.lans] Good price on the Microtest Cable Scanner

haas@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (03/20/90)

In article <17815@oregon.uoregon.edu> dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) writes:
>I am going to be buying a Microtest cable scanner soon.  I remember
>seeing an ad for $1100 for the scanner kit, but of course, I can't
>remember where.  I'd rather not pay the $1500 list for the thing, but I
>haven't found anybody that has any good prices.

You can get the 3com LanScanner for about $1100.  It doesn't have all
the bells and whistles of the Microtest product, but gets the basic job done.

-- Walt

dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) (03/21/90)

I am going to be buying a Microtest cable scanner soon.  I remember
seeing an ad for $1100 for the scanner kit, but of course, I can't
remember where.  I'd rather not pay the $1500 list for the thing, but I
haven't found anybody that has any good prices.

Anyone out there know of a good source for the Microtest cable scanner?

Thanks in advance,

Dale Smith, Acting Director of Network Services
University of Oregon		Internet: dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu
Computing Center		BITNET: dsmith@oregon.bitnet
Eugene, OR  97403-1212		Voice: (503)346-4394

rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.155525.2728@hellgate.utah.edu>, haas@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes...

>In article <17815@oregon.uoregon.edu> dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) writes:
>>I am going to be buying a Microtest cable scanner soon.  I remember
>>seeing an ad for $1100 for the scanner kit, but of course, I can't
>>remember where.  I'd rather not pay the $1500 list for the thing, but I
>>haven't found anybody that has any good prices.
>
>You can get the 3com LanScanner for about $1100.  It doesn't have all
>the bells and whistles of the Microtest product, but gets the basic job done.
>
>-- Walt

We tried a 3Com LanScanner and it was broken out of the box. 3Com
customer service wouldn't help at all without me giving an account #
or MasterCard # etc. Since it was new in the box I complained until
I got a manager. Still they wouldn't respond to any questions about
it's misfunctioning. They said only the distributor could help.
He was useless and didn't even have a replacement after a month.
I returned it and cancled payment. We bought a Microtest and it
has worked flawlessly for over a year. So I'd pay the extra for
the Microtest. It is a nice little unit. We have access to a large TDR if
needed and haven't had to use it in some time. Hope this helps.

Rusty Smith			Internet:  rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu
MACC Data Communications	Bitnet:    rsmith@wiscmacc
(608)  263-6307			Univ. of Wisconsin @ Madison